Poll: What questions?
Poll Options
View poll results: What questions?
You choose only two Songs and I analyze it.( One song with two points, one song wit one points
18 82%
You choose three songs but one song only counts the half(please mark the one)
9 41%
Voters: 22.
Page 1 of 2
What is the most beautiful bassline ever. I would say Scar Tissue or Stairway to heaven.
Last edited by Hodenbassist at Mar 13, 2008,
mingus
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
So What, by Miles Davis, as played by Paul Chambers
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by doctorums
mingus

seconded
theres a great charlie haden solo on the duets album but im nt sure if solos qualify as

basslines.still its well worth it if you can find it
Kill your mother, rape your dog - Dying Fetus
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Bassically aka the intro to NIB by Black Sabbath
Schecter Stiletto Studio-4 (Honey Satin finish)
Ibanez GSR 200 (Transparent Red finish)
Behringer BXL1800A
Hartke B150
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
Handmade killswitch

"Slapping is alot more violent and painful than fingering"
Californication by RHCP is a nice one... the only bassline i can play where my mum goes, "hey! that sounds pretty good!"
Planet Caravan. Sabbath not Pantera, there's not overly much difference in the bassline but the Sabbath version is just better
A Remark You Made - Weather Report
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
"Seemann" (I've been throwing that song around a lot lately :?), "A Remark You Made", or "The Great Gig In The Sky". Rammstein, Weather Report, and Floyd, respectively.

also, +1 to Mingus.
Beautiful is such a subjective word...hmmm.

+1 to Mingus as well.

Off the top of my head, Continuum (Jaco) is up there. And strange at it may seem, the bass line to "Bernadette" (Four Tops) gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.
Quote by anarkee
Off the top of my head, Continuum (Jaco) is up there. And strange at it may seem, the bass line to "Bernadette" (Four Tops) gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Again, I completely agree with you. Only I'd add Darling Dear by the Jackson Five to that list too.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'm gonna be honest and say you shouldn't really trust my opninion if i put it

right now i am forcing open my stapler repeatedly with my chin and putting it to my ear to hear the noise of the spring

most people would class this as "wasted" but i am yet to have experimented in drugs tonight...
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I haven't written it yet.

I was waiting for that

I've always been partial to Last Chance to Evacuate by Porcupine Tree
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Does this thread make anyone get a strange craving for apple sauce? I can't quite pin down why...
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
A lot of Mudvayne **** is beautiful, so I'll go with that. Or Orion or the intro to Damage Inc (both Metallica)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I haven't written it yet.

ahaha i get it!
My gear:
Fender Jazz Bass
Ampeg BA115
What Is Hip? By Tower of Power. Amazing.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Selkies: the Endless Obsession
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
School Days, by Stanley Clarke.
beyond beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmI_BsVfuCg

You know, I was thinking of that. It really is a legendary bass line, but it didn't quite fit my standard for a pretty or beautiful.

Also, "Us And Them" is simple, but I find it pretty.
The New by Interpol...Waiting for the sirens call by New Order and Lovesong by the Cure
Quote by barb3rman
Does this thread make anyone get a strange craving for apple sauce? I can't quite pin down why...

Because applesauce, like this thread, is ****ing everywhere
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
"What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye. Bass line courtesy of the one and only James Jamerson.

"Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips. Bass line by Bob Babbitt.

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" (Funk Brothers' most recent version). Originally played by James Jamerson, reinterpreted by Bob Babbitt. In the movie version (Standing in the Shadows of Motown), I guarantee this song will make any old school bass player worth their salt cry tears of joy.

"A Remark You Made" by Weather Report. Bass line by the incomparable Jaco Pastorius. Makes you want to go and buy a fretless epoxy-finished neck for your Jazz bass.

"Don't Give Up" by Peter Gabriel. Bass line by the "Emperor of Bass", Tony Levin.

"Joanna" by bajo flamenco master Carles Benavent. One of the most haunting, lilting and fluid bass melodies you'll ever come across. Reminds me of the sad closing theme for the "Incredible Hulk" TV series. Snif.

"Murder" by David Gilmour. Fretless bass solo and bass line courtesy of Pino Palladino. Again, the bass figure on this is serpentine and just fluid with lots of mwah factor.

Any bass line that can really emote and pull on your heart strings is beautiful to me. Not all bass lines do that or function in that manner, but the ones listed above are some of the most beautiful I've come across. They aren't the fastest, or the most technically advanced lines, but they give the song or piece feeling. I never get tired of listening to these pieces, and I strive and aspire to compose bass lines like these.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
There is far more complicated basslines.. but Californication by the Chilis is my favorite, and the most beautiful bassline that my ears have been graced with.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Hey by RHCP
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
These Are The Days Of Our Lives - Queen
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Quote by een
These Are The Days Of Our Lives - Queen

I like that one! But anyone like Push Push Lady Lightning by Bang Camaro? It has quite a catchy bassline.
Marvin Gaye-What's Going On
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Quote by Confused4930
I was waiting for that

I've always been partial to Last Chance to Evacuate by Porcupine Tree

+1

Fabulous bassline.
Page 1 of 2