So i'm looking at buying a new head to replace my beat up Crate GT1200. I like the Hughes and Kettner switchblade but I dont have that kind of money. I play metal/hardcore/rock and some clean stuff as well, and i'm pretty sure I want a tube amp. Not very impressed with the solid state. Anyhow, what are some lower budget options for a pro-quality head? Would something like a Peavey XXL be a decent choice? I need high gain and sound quality is my top priority, both clean and distorted. I'll be running it through my Crate 4X12 cab until I can afford something better, but im pretty sure that the sound difference will still be insane even without a high end cab. Any input is appreciated.
Misleading thread title hehe...

Umm the peavey XXL would be great for heavy distortion and it should do cleans fairly well, but could you list some bands you like, or who's sound you'd like to copy? It'll make it a bit easier for myself and others to work out what's best for you. Cheers
Youll never get head by spending your time on UG

i tried the XXL today and it was alright. good distortion and such.
lol I thought you guys might enjoy the title

Bands im into...

The Acacia Strain
Killing the Dream
Metallica
Between the Buried and Me

Yeah try to find an amp that can pull off all the above sounds and you can sign me up right away haha. I'm more into modern metal and hardcore, but I want an amp that can get the epic sound of a good 80's metal band like Metallica too. That's why I want to go tube.

BTW I also want something that can get LOUD.
my peavey windsor can do all that but the clean really is my volume roll off. also its 100 watts TUBE so i don't think you would get how LOUD that is at 3(got to get them tubes burning.
If you're looking for an all tube amp, veer clear of the XXL and try not to lust over a Switchblade. The XXL is what Peavey calls "Transtube" which is really just a solid state amp that someone attempted to voice more like a tube amp. In spite of what H&K says, the Switchblade isn't a true tube amp (though it's close), it's really a "tube enhanced" digital preamp going into a tube power amp.

Something like the Peavey Windsor might be the ticket for you. It's very JCM800-ish and those tones have proven themselves time and again in both classic and modern metal (though usually enhanced with an array of pedals).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I'm gonna have to say peavey windsor.
And, the thread title was misleading
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
So the Windsor is the way to go huh? You said above that it sounds like a JCM800. Ive played through those a few times and found the distortion to be much weaker than I need. I'd rather not use pedals to achieve my tone, but I do have a Digitech RP350 that could surely handle the added gain. What about a Mesa head, anyone use their stuff? I heard it's top of the line, especially for my style.
i need head too
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by ballsout
So the Windsor is the way to go huh? You said above that it sounds like a JCM800. Ive played through those a few times and found the distortion to be much weaker than I need. I'd rather not use pedals to achieve my tone, but I do have a Digitech RP350 that could surely handle the added gain.

A decent overdrive should get you all the gain you need. Something like a Bad Monkey is inexpensive and performs well. Something like an OCD will take that a step further, but for a price. I can't say that I agree with using the RP, putting a digital MFX unit in front of most tube amps is almost silly.

Another thing to note is that you almost never need as much gain as you think you do. When you put it in a mix too much gain gets muddy and loose (even if it sounds good by itself). The Windsor actually pushes a little bit more gain than most 800's (but certainly not all).

Quote by ballsout
What about a Mesa head, anyone use their stuff? I heard it's top of the line, especially for my style.

If you can't afford a Switchblade you shouldn't be shopping for Mesa. It's possible that you might find a used F30 or something, but the Dual Rec's and the Mk IV's easily hold prices of over a thousand bucks on the used market.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Used mesa f50? Or used 6505
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah I googled mesa and checked out their site. My god $4000+ for the trip rec and stilleto heads? That's insane. I did find a used trip rec on ebay for $600 with less than a day till it ends. Someone should go buy it! I wish I could afford something that nice.

The Peavey is looking better by the minute. $400 new AND it's all tube?! What a deal. I also found one of these on ebay for $200 used, but I can't afford to spend a dime for at least a few months. What do you guys think I could get on ebay or craigslist if I sold my Crate GT1200 head? Would $100 be fair? Maybe even $150?
Just do whatever you need to do to get rid of it.
Valvekings are mediocre tube amps. Compared to others.
I'd still go for the windsor. The valveking really isn't that great of an amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator