AwesomeDrummer
Sarcasm is for winners.
1,519 IQ
okay so my band has one guitarist (me), and i have heaps of ideas for rhythm guitars, but of course, we only have one guitarist.

now my bass player is pretty good, and i dont want him to just play like a normal bass player (under everything else), i want the bass to be as loud as the guitar + drums.

So i had an idea that i believe is loaded with originality, danger and craziness.

that is right people, i propose that my bass player, plays his bass, like a rhythm guitarist *crowd gasps*.

Not chords or anythin, but like wif tonnes of effects, and not ur typical bass movements.

good idea. much?

your feedback is appriciated

EDIT: okay... so its not that new....
Last edited by AwesomeDrummer at Mar 18, 2008,
MadassAlex
91 IQ
Not really a new idea tbh.

It could work.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Not exactly new or crazy.

Nor is it that interesting imo.

Distorted bass is already common enough.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Kurapica
611 IQ
It's always nice to see a bassist do something more than root notes, that's for sure.

Get him to listen to some Muse and Tool. Muse for cool bass riffs that work with lead guitar work and Tool for some nice work and some FX stuffs.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Colohue
227 views to 60000!
1,554 IQ
Most bass is meant as rhythm, it's just underused because of the overuse of powerchord based rhythm guitar.

A bass player isn't supposed to just play the root of the rhythm guitarists powerchords. They're meant to organise the rhythm themselves.
Tom Colohue is a writer from Blackpool, England, recognisable for his integrative descriptive work and his cynical textual mannerisms.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
stratkat
IWTCIRD
3,672 IQ
That's what my band does, I think the bass playing rhythm makes it easier to write, and the bass doesn't get lost in the guitars sound. Also it means less stuff to haul around, one less person to split gig money with, and one less thing to worry about.
hayz_182
433 IQ
what sort of band are you? like funk? or heavy stuff or what...
Withakay
Invisible
26 IQ
The trouble with bass rhythm is that you have to keep it high pitched or play slowly. Lower tones often get lost in a muddy noise.

If your bass player is really good, but I mean really really good, show him this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGX32oLPeqo

Never mind if you don't speak french. Just listen and enjoy. This guy downtuned his lowest string and plays asynchronically bass and melody on one guitar.
Last edited by Withakay at Mar 13, 2008,
AwesomeDrummer
Sarcasm is for winners.
1,519 IQ
Quote by hayz_182
what sort of band are you? like funk? or heavy stuff or what...

We're a hard rock, alternative sort of band. We don't really fit under just the one genre, because we all like different bands.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
I'm in a band with one guitar and it sounds fine with clean bass
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
When I play bass with any other band, I play chords, partly because I learned to play bass while listening to Motorhead, but also because it just creates one helluva big sound that covers the need for a rhythm guitarist nicely.
The Evil Hat
Hatpanzer
595 IQ
hate to break it to you, but you're not the first person to ever think of not having a rhythm guitarist but having a bassist.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Colohue
227 views to 60000!
1,554 IQ
So yeah by the look of it everybody here seems to think it's a good idea.
Tom Colohue is a writer from Blackpool, England, recognisable for his integrative descriptive work and his cynical textual mannerisms.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
litus
on
2,089 IQ
not new at all
lots of bands do it
also with a full bass tone you dont need loads of effects
but if you really want a second guitar sound your bassist could split his signal like this"
one normal clean bass sound and the other with an octave pedal plus the pedal that makes it sound like power chords(i dont remeber the name or anything) and play it with a guitar amp and OD
or you could just have a full bass sound wich will be alot easier
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Last edited by litus at Mar 17, 2008,
sanchezero
101 IQ
i once saw a band with 3 drummers, 2 bass players and a guitar. they had a pretty good sound...
Hoodoo Child
Blaaaaargh
1,655 IQ
erm...green day? one guitar(ish) and a bass..
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
^ Nice sig Hoodoo Child.
Quote by flamencogod
well let's name 5 then... (and this is directed to litus)

Motorhead
Primus
Cream
Black Sabbath
The Who
Skunk Anansie

Yeah, I know it was directed to litus, but I couldn't resist it.
Hoodoo Child
Blaaaaargh
1,655 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
^ Nice sig Hoodoo Child.

thanks an epic quote
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by Hoodoo Child
thanks an epic quote

Here's another one.

'Yesterday, I had a premonition that I'd have déjà vu today.

Armagedn
Roulette Bassist.
824 IQ
Yeah, Rush does. So does Green Day. As does Triumph. And Blink 182. Ozzy is another big one. I don't know about now, but Randy was his only guitarist back in the day, and bass played a big part.

There's 5 for ya'
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Ktool The Girth
UG Member
767 IQ
Tiger army. The bass is more like lead while the guitar is rhythm.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.