hey,

so i searched and couldnt find a thread like this, basically i want to be a 3D artist (modeler) and just wonderin if there are any other (3D/ 2D graphic) artists on the forums who want to work in the game or film industry?

im finding it really hard to make any ground at the moment, in terms of getting my work out there. im think of going to university to study 3D animation, any thoughts on this or experiences with it? in terms of the contacts you get out of it and the publiscity (cant spell)

heres some of my work, feel free to post yours

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polypusher/
(well most of my work, gah stupid 200 image limit!)

also if there any other 3D modelers/ animators etc on here what software do use/ prefer?
well here are a couple of pics i did, they're not very good tho

i'm currently working on a 3D short film, it's coming along quite nicely.
no man, they are pretty good

i espeically like the little character at the bottom of the page, i could think of a few things to improve the image though. hope you dont my my critique,

1. add smoothing/ sub D's to the model to make it appear smooth, speically the feet

2. use a 3 point light system, i.e. one key light (in front), fill light (to side), back light (to side/ back) if you use a combination of colours you can get very nice hightlights on the edges of the models, and also a shadow would make the character seem like its interacting with the ground

just minor critiques though

how did you create the shading/ material for the first two images? and what software do you use?

also would be good if you could post some screenshots from your shoft film
Good lord, that's some sexy work you got there! I'm a failed 3D artist, so I know how hard it is to make good models as well. I used Blender quite a bit, but I've generally given up since then, what do you use?
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
well i downloaded this procedural texture plug in called "dark tree" or summat, it has a bunch of awesome textures. and thanks for the tip!! i'm kind of a noob in 3D art :P

EDIT: oh yeah, i'm using True Space 5
I had a glimpse at the first 2/3 pages, and you've got some good stuff there. I'm at uni studying Computer animation with special effects, and some of the stuff we have to cover is extremely interesting, but as is the norm with every course, there's also a lot of boring stuff to cover.

There are plenty of artists who go straight into the industry without any qualifications, as it's their showreel not the academic qualities that make the difference. So it's fully possible that you could do the same, however I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to start making some good contacts then Uni is probably your best option for that.

Start getting a portfolio or showreel together to show people if you are really set on doing it as a career.

Software-wise I am fairly competant in After Effects, Photoshop, Flash, Avid, 3DS Max and a few smaller bits of software. Maya is by far and away my main piece of software, and it's well worth you finding out what software the uni you want to go to uses, and start training yourself on it.

If you are determined to go straight into the industry then get a showreel done (look at other artists (CGTalk is a good site for that) to see how it's done) And then start e-mailing it people. Keep the filesize small but not so that it compormises quality.

Most of all, good luck! But you have to be fully prepared to work your way up from the absolute bottom (I'm talking about being a runner and getting people tea etc...)
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

im spending a lot of time learning 3d modelling atm, going in to a game development course in university later this year too.

So far ive really just been playing around with it, learning how to use each of the programs etc. (Maya PLE, Blender)

(sorry about the watermarks in some of these images, Maya PLE is a bitch)

EDIT: this thread needs a group i feel

EDIT2:

heres some of my work, feel free to post yours

damn those are awesome
Last edited by GLP_Arclite at Mar 13, 2008,
SuperBlob: hey, would be good to see some of your work, if you dont mind posting it. i too use blender, thats the only 3D software i feel comfortable using, the others seem to cumbersome when it comes down to basic poly pushing.

CoreysMonster: no problem man, heh i remember truespace, its a pretty good application. i only used 3.2 though, gah that was back in the day lol. but keep going, practice makes perfect and youve got a good start, good luck with the short film

rworsl: hey, what uni are you studying at? im thinking of going to swansea institue, it looks like a fairly decent course, and i think the biggest thing i would get out of it, the ability to work around other artists in an enivorment that makes you want to push what you can do, plus making the contacts, i wouldnt be going just to sit in a lecture theater etc

have you got any work you could show? also ive used maya, i find it pretty difficuilt to use, i think thats just the way blender has messed with head though haha damn shortcut key layout

also i wouldnt mind working my way from the bottom, i wouldnt like to just jump straight into a high level position, to much pressure for a starter etc

GLP_Arclite: hey, those two images look really good, are they for a game engine, like spec wise? i agree with you about the group feeling hehe

just saw your second edit, ive been doing 3D for a few years now, trust me when i first started i sucked big time. youll improve with practice, but like i said those renders youve got are looking good anyway so it shouldnt take you to long to get were your going, there is a forum on CGtalk for game models, you should check it out, if you havent already. great inspiraton and feed back on there.

The_Crumpet: would be cool to see some ingame shots , what do you think of 3DS max
Quote by Daniel8488

GLP_Arclite: hey, those two images look really good, are they for a game engine, like spec wise? i agree with you about the group feeling hehe

just saw your second edit, ive been doing 3D for a few years now, trust me when i first started i sucked big time. youll improve with practice, but like i said those renders youve got are looking good anyway so it shouldnt take you to long to get were your going, there is a forum on CGtalk for game models, you should check it out, if you havent already. great inspiraton and feed back on there.

Thanks, i must admit i was a bit disheartened when saw some of the ones you did, especially the facial modelling, the last (and only) time i tried that it ended up disfigured:

yea im definelty gunna go and study games and 3d modelling at UNI, but im 17 right now and dont plan on going there till im like 23, so i have time to travel and stuff.

i do a little 3d stuff here and there, but my main focus right now is 2d animation and cartooning, and film and tv production, but definetly if my band fails and doesnt make it in the next 6 years which it most definetly will, im going to become a 3d artist in the game industry.
Quote by zappp
Sammi-Ellen is my australian (wish i had aborted) daughter!!
GLP_Arclite: hey, i know the feeling, every time i go on cgtalk, or look at other artists i get that feeling. but you should try turning that feeling around, use other work as inspiration, personally i dont think my work is good enough for "inspirational" use lol but you get the idea, also if you want help modeling a characters head just PM me, also ill link some tutorials i know of on here.

basically when modeling the head you need to know the best edge loops (poly flow) to use, once you have that mastered you can create any creature head with in hours or even less, ill post a very good tutorial on this if you want? also i can send you some meshes so you can see where the tutorial is coming from etc?

edit:

your image didnt show up at first :\. anyways i wouldnt say that is a bad model, you know how to use the software and by the looks of you have a grasp of 3D modeling, so once you learn the correct edge flows you should be making awesome looking models
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by Daniel8488
GLP_Arclite: hey, i know the feeling, every time i go on cgtalk, or look at other artists i get that feeling. but you should try turning that feeling around, use other work as inspiration, personally i dont think my work is good enough for "inspirational" use lol but you get the idea, also if you want help modeling a characters head just PM me, also ill link some tutorials i know of on here.

basically when modeling the head you need to know the best edge loops (poly flow) to use, once you have that mastered you can create any creature head with in hours or even less, ill post a very good tutorial on this if you want? also i can send you some meshes so you can see where the tutorial is coming from etc?

edit:

your image didnt show up at first :\. anyways i wouldnt say that is a bad model, you know how to use the software and by the looks of you have a grasp of 3D modeling, so once you learn the correct edge flows you should be making awesome looking models

Thanks , im still trying to get to grips with blender, which i first started using about a week ago, but any suggestions for tutorials to follow afterwards would be great
*resurects thread*

First try at making glass in 3ds Max:

Rendered in Vray.

Tell me what you think!

Btw OP, your car models are AWESOME.

EDIT: **** that pic is HUGE!!!

the first 2 were 3d max, the first one with video post, the second with mental ray w/ caustics. the last 3 were with blender. last 2 are characters im making for a game for school.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Hey, don't know if this is the right place to post it, but I'll do it anyway.

So...

A couple of friends and I are working on a Source mod with a Warcraft theme, which is still at the theoretical stage. What we really need is a 3d-modeller or two who is interested in and / or knowledgeable in creating meshes/models for use with the Source SDK-package.

I'm not really expecting any serious answers in the thread, because it's THE PIT! But, if anybody who reads this and feels interested, throw me a message.
I'd love to get into 3D stuff.

I'm doing a graphic design degree, but I don't think we'll go into it at any depth really.

I have a copy of Maya, *cough* legal of course.... And I keep meaning to really get the hang of it. So many programs to learn, so little time.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall