Ive just bought one of these for £649 and Im a little anxious about what Ive just done. It hasn't arrived yet but I keep hearing horror stories and was interested in what people who own one think about it?

My main two concerns are: Being a guitar simulator - Does it ever feel like the electric keyboard in the 80's trying to imitate French Horns or something - i.e - naff? What's it actually like as a guitar cuz I worry its only good for trying to simulate other guitars and doesn't always manage to do even that?

The other concern is the 700...When I went to buy this today I could only afford £4-500 but didn't like the look of the Variax 300 and 500s. So went for the wood effect 700..Anyone think the extra 2-300 pounds is justified in buying the 700?
i played one several years ago. it was ok, i guess, but i was never a massive fan if i'm honest. i just felt the price was a little high for a korean made guitar (which i think was reflected in how it played), and i was never really that fussed about all the tonal options to be honest. i mean, its nice having things like acoustic simulation, but its not really practical in a live setting, because your amp is set up for an electric. likewise, banjo and sitar emulations sounds neat, but really, who uses them. as for the guitar emulation, to be honest, i mean, they're neat, but i just think there's a limit to how many tones you want in one setting. i guess i just feel like for the money, you could get one or two really nice, really well crafted guitars, whereas the variax just felt kinda novelty to me.

i think its a great concept in a lot of ways, but i think the interesting features don't make up for the fact that it just isnt that amazing a guitar and its in a price range where there are some very good things available...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I love mine. The build quality is excellent (love the neck) and I'd buy another one in a heart beat if something happened to this one. Not sure what you plan on plugging into, nut out of all my equipment it likes my PA the best. I also run through a POD xtl. It also responds well to an EQ. There are several models in the Variax that make it worth the purchase, although I can't really get my teeth into the banjo that's about it. The big thing is being able to practice just about any kind of music without getting up from your chair. The acoustic models are decidedly plugged sounding, but I always played my acoustics plugged anyway so I was not turned off by this. i several of the models if a person doesn't know your playing a variax they can't tell the difference. Does it do everything perfect? No it doesn't, but it does enough well that you probably won't care and going from a 12 string acoustic to a les paul with the flick of a switch will spoil you. Line 6 did a great job with this product and it would probably cost you between $6 and $7000us to get all this tone if you purchased the guitars separately. i do recommend an EQ as soon as possible if you get one and a PA is pretty sweet with it. It also likes my G/F's Valve jr combo with the POD (not so much with out). I've been on this thing a couple hrs a day for about 6 months now and don't play my other guitars near as much since I got this thing. It's a great buy.

Edit: The 700 is made in Japan.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I love mine. The build quality is excellent (love the neck) and I'd buy another one in a heart beat if something happened to this one. Not sure what you plan on plugging into, nut out of all my equipment it likes my PA the best. I also run through a POD xtl. It also responds well to an EQ. There are several models in the Variax that make it worth the purchase, although I can't really get my teeth into the banjo that's about it. The big thing is being able to practice just about any kind of music without getting up from your chair. The acoustic models are decidedly plugged sounding, but I always played my acoustics plugged anyway so I was not turned off by this. i several of the models if a person doesn't know your playing a variax they can't tell the difference. Does it do everything perfect? No it doesn't, but it does enough well that you probably won't care and going from a 12 string acoustic to a les paul with the flick of a switch will spoil you. Line 6 did a great job with this product and it would probably cost you between $6 and $7000us to get all this tone if you purchased the guitars separately. i do recommend an EQ as soon as possible if you get one and a PA is pretty sweet with it. It also likes my G/F's Valve jr combo with the POD (not so much with out). I've been on this thing a couple hrs a day for about 6 months now and don't play my other guitars near as much since I got this thing. It's a great buy.

Edit: The 700 is made in Japan.

Thanks for this dude. I ended up buying the blue one today and Im getting quite excited about the day of deliverance now. I think what sold it for me was that it looks hot, can simulate a12 string, a bass guitar and with workbench I'll be able to play with tunings till my hearts content and being a big sonic youth fan thats my thing. I' never play my electrics through an amp - I play them through a Line 6 Toneport UX1 which is great for recording too. Live in a block of flats so a nice pair of headphones makes it all cool. Can you tell me what you mean by an EQ? And also what the best thing to do about this workbench software - Can I just download or is it necessary to buy it so you have all the cables?
No problem. Once you get the guitar you can log on to line 6 website and download workbench for free.. i've really only messed with it a few times, but you can build some pretty cool tones with it. an EQ is an equalizer it's used to control the frequencies. The PA i got had one built in and that's how I found out how cool it was. So when playing through my other amps I got this one (way better then the one in the PA)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M108-Ten-Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=151115

But probably any of the popular ones will do. Funny you should mention the 12 string. it's one of my favorite models and properly EQ'd sounds very impressive. the first song I played on it was "Wish you were here" and being able to go from 12 to 6 to slide with a dobro model makes this song real. The Variax is going to make you rethink some of the things you play when you find out how many different instruments you can apply. Songs with acoustic and electric parts quickly become the order of the day.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Mar 14, 2008,