That's what Rolling Stone magazine says. I don't get it. Joking around I say Lynyrd Skynyrd (7+ fat rednecks) and Bowling For Soup (look at their guitarist) but obviously that's not what they meant. They meant along the lines of...metallica? Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam...I just don't get it.

Can someone who doesn't beat off to Led Zeppelin please explain this to me?
Rolling Stone are basically always wrong, whatever they say; just look at that 100 great guitarists list which puts Kurt Cobain over John Petrucci. I'm surprised you even read it.
At the time, Led Zeppelin really was considered heavy, and fell into the metal category. So at the time, I guess they were heavy. AT THE TIME. Haha, this is why you should not read Rolling Stone Magazine. And if you insist on reading it, read many, many other magazines and websites (such as the fine one you're on now) to get a complete picture of rock music today.
Jackson Rhoads V: The Hippie-Slayer
*reported*

Only Led Zep thread...
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Definately not the heaviest. Just have way too many fan boys.

BTW you might want to delete this and take it to the Led Zeppelin thread before Cptbeefheart reports it.

Edit: Too late
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
well... here's the facts:

1. Rolling Stone is and always has been pretentious, assumptive and contradictory

2. Led Zeppelin were the first major band to play as HARD as they did, on riffs like they had. When people say that zeppelin started heavy rock, they mean that they played with heaviness, not that their music itself was uber-heavy
i dont think of heavy as like pummeling drums and over the top distortion...i think of heavy as in the music is heavy in the way it affects you.which zeppilen is definantly close to the top
Quote by Liam Alan
Definately not the heaviest. Just have way too many fan boys.

BTW you might want to delete this and take it to the Led Zeppelin thread before Cptbeefheart reports it.

Too late
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Edit your original post. There is a delete button at the very top when you go into edit mode.

Then post here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321887
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.