Page 1 of 2
seeing as everyone hates mg amps so much what alternitives are there is the same sort of price range then?

jst coz i dnt think that there is a thread explaning what a good alternitive amp for this sort of price range

and yes i have used the search bar before you start those jokes as well
Vox Valvetronix/XL line, Roland Cubes, Palomino V line... I'm sure there's tons of other good alternatives. Hell, I'd rather have a Spider III than an MG.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
the spider iii keeps getting ripped off and ive noticed a few times in threads that people dont advise they just critisise and say its bad but dont offer an alternitive
MG's arn't that bad, everyone just jumps on the train on these forums, I would assume not many people have even tried them before attacking them.

I don't go on this forum when I want advice because there's no mixture of opinion. An amp is either really bad, or amazing. People generally don't explain like you stated.

I would recommend a cube, there ok for a practice amp.
Quote by Blue145
MG's arn't that bad, everyone just jumps on the train on these forums, I would assume not many people have even tried them before attacking them.

I don't go on this forum when I want advice because there's no mixture of opinion. An amp is either really bad, or amazing. People generally don't explain like you stated.

My friend has an MG. No matter what we do to that amp, it just won't sound good. It always sounds like a bee in a jam jar.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
for the fella that says, no one ever gives a reason or suggests anything else.
bullcrap. these are a few quotes from a 2 min search of MGs. there were pages of them.

Quote by jj1565
i have an (m)g50. i really tried to get a tone i liked. i just couldnt.
my suggestion to you is go out and find a nice 80's pedal.
and use the clean on the mg with the pedal. that's how ull get ur best def lep tone.

then just work a little and save for another amp.

Quote by jj1565
yeah, but when i bought my g50, i dont even know how many years ago. i wasnt comparing it to old marshall monsters. all i knew was i couldnt get any good tones.

i got frustrated with it, bought effects and changed pups, nothing helped. then finally i realized it was the amp.

they did it to themselves.

Quote by jj1565
i own a marshall g50. which is an old mg50.
i can not get a good tone out of it. ive tried everything. it always sounds flat, bland and boring. i bought a new amp before i ever starting posting on UG.
i didnt come to the conclusion it sucked because i read it here. i figured it out after i tried every guitar and pickup i could think thru it and hear nothing worth listening to.

Quote by jj1565
most guys are gonna jump on u for getting it. ive got a G50, thats old school MG50, and i hate it.

u might want to try a cube 60. depends on ur music type. even a randall has nice high gain.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Blue145

You can definitely get good, useful advice on this forum; you just have to be able to pick it out. Like you said, if there's no explanation, it's usually not worth reading.
^it's true, it totally depends if the player's ear is developed at all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

the thing with everone bashing these crap amps is people like me are sick of explaining whats wrong with them and directing people to an alternative because people make so many threads asking "whats wrong with MGs, Whats wrong with spider IIIs" etc... and we've all gotten completely fed up with repeating ourselves.

in short, MGs are really overpriced for what they are. the smallest model is overpriced because of the corporate logo although for a cheap beginner amp i guess its fine. the bigger and louder models are even more overpriced because they have the same ****ty tone as the cheapest version but cost 10x as much. and people get mislead by the way they are marketed - in a word, its a trap.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by jj1565
^it's true, it totally depends if the player's ear is developed at all.

Its all subjective. I think there great practice amps for plugging into at home, it'd be nice to play through a JCM 800 into a 4x12 all the time but its not always that practical.

CLICK
I think it was worth every penny I paid.
^it's subjective to a point. but my mom got me an mg10. and it died in two days. i took it apart with the help of an electrician, and two of the pots were bad straight from the factory.

that amp never got as loud or was ever as clear as the hondo 10W amp i found in my basement years earlier.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jscustomguitars
Its all subjective. I think there great practice amps for plugging into at home, it'd be nice to play through a JCM 800 into a 4x12 all the time but its not always that practical.

CLICK
I think it was worth every penny I paid.

it would be an ok tone if it wasn't for that nasty fuzzy overtone. for what its worth the £50/£70 models are ok i guess, which is the point you seem to be trying to put across, but that doesn't make up for the fact there are 100 watt models that can cost as much as £250-£300 or even more (source). Which is absolutely ridicolous, since they have the same £50 worth of tone you get out of the MG10CD... as a matter of fact i think the bigger models sound worse, even. When i compared a 15DFX to a 100DFX, i prefered the 15 watter...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by jj1565
for the fella that says, no one ever gives a reason or suggests anything else.
bullcrap. these are a few quotes from a 2 min search of MGs. there were pages of them.

yea ok that says people dont like them

BUT how is that giving a sugestion to anything else you basically said that ppl dnt like them but as usual you do not give anymore sugestions as to what else could be used insted your just like everyone else put it down quickly but dont give any sugestions as to what could be used insted of it as usual...
^ok well i guess i could do another search and bring up the pages of amp alternatives.
but i think the second or so post in this thread pretty much covered it.

edit: ok i did it anyway...
Quote by jj1565
if you want heavier tones then maybe exchange for a roland cube.

but changing for a solid state fender or marshall would be a huge mistake.

Quote by jj1565
thread starter. any guy telling u to get the mini marshall is a poser.

its a tiny speaker. all tiny speaker amps sound about the same. doesnt matter what's written on the front of it.

you can get the $20 smokey mini amp. it doesnt sound better but it's cheaper.
or u can get a danelectro honeytone. imo, sounds best of the $40 range mini's. still not saying much.

or u can get away from the toys completely and buy a micro cube and be happy.

EDIT: nevermind i just looked at ur sig. just save up and get a good amp.

had a 10W marshall for 2 days. and that was a new one that broke.

umm, depends on the type of music u play.

but the micro cube for $125, is loud enough for bedrooom use and has several usable effects.

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by eruption1988
seeing as everyone hates mg amps so much what alternitives are there is the same sort of price range then?

jst coz i dnt think that there is a thread explaning what a good alternitive amp for this sort of price range

and yes i have used the search bar before you start those jokes as well

Which MG are you talking about? How can we give you a price range if you never specified which MG you were going to buy?

There are tons of budget amps in the general price range of an MG. The Vox Valvetronix, the Roland Cube, the Crate Palomino series, the Peavey Trans-Tube line as well as their all valve line like the Valveking and the Windsor and even the Randall solid states.

When it comes down to it, the MG could be a good amp but it's cheaply made and has tons of things that other amps do better. The built in effects are by far the weakest and fake effects I have ever heard, the drive channel sounds like turd and has absolutely no feel to it, it's sterile, and last but not least, SEVERELY overpriced. The only thing decent about the thing is the clean channel.

It would be a good amp if they took off like 30 percent of the cost of these things.

Finally, I highly doubt you used the search bar because if you did, you'd find that in every MG/Spider III thread, there's always good advice for other amps in the price range from people like Dave_Mc, Steven Seagull, Yngwi3, jj1565 and Mr_Hankey.

Not trying to bust your balls or anything but yeah...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ your not really getting much its just like oh you could but what i was meaning was something like that you might of had experence with before...i have the fealing that you have never played an mg before or much else and are just jumping on the band waggon coz everyone else has done so as well...
and i did acctully use the search bar but i probs did it differntly i didnt just put in mg i searched for mg alternitive or something like that and there want much came up
Quote by eruption1988
^ your not really getting much its just like oh you could but what i was meaning was something like that you might of had experence with before...i have the fealing that you have never played an mg before or much else and are just jumping on the band waggon coz everyone else has done so as well...

I own one...

Would you like the dunce cap now or do you want to claim it later?

If you don't believe me, you could check my profile.

That entire paragraph was MY first hand experience with the amplifier. It's what I noticed after owning it for almost 2 years so don't tell me I have no experience with it.

You're the one who wants to buy one, I have a feeling YOU haven't played it before.

EDIT: Disregard that, eruption's quote was directed to JJ, not me

Even still, JJ has an MG anyways.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by eruption1988

look i know you're young. and i don't really understand what you're trying to say, in that first sentence, but really, I don't know where all this hostility is coming from.

I took the time to show you that this site isn't just a bunch of band wagon jumpers.
even my old quotes were respectful. where is the "bashing"?

if you want to buy an MG then really, buy one use one whatever. i'm thinking you two are perfectly suited for each other

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by eruption1988
if i havent played one why is there one sitting in my room?

Then why are you inquiring about MG amps if you've already bought one?

Are you looking to sell it or something?

Or did you just want to know our opinions on the amp when they've already been stated like 100 times over.

When it comes down to it, our opinions don't matter (most of the time they aren't even heard ) if you think the amp sounds good, great, more power to you.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
hatebreed what do you know. you've never even seen an mg before!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
hatebreed what do you know. you've never even seen an mg before!

I can't tell if you're serious or not.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i am enquiring for alternitives begause half the time ppl just put the amps down without sugesting anything else...and im looking for a new one coz althought i think its a good bedroom amp stage wise its not gonna hold up to much well mine wont...also mine doesnt have any effects and the volume nob has fallen off so im looking for a new one...i like the amp but im also looking for something new but i started this because people dont seem to give much in the way of advice they just seem to diss the amp i know there are the odd few but i get the fealing that a lot of ppl hate them from what has been said and have never used them
Quote by eruption1988
i am enquiring for alternitives begause half the time ppl just put the amps down without sugesting anything else...and im looking for a new one coz althought i think its a good bedroom amp stage wise its not gonna hold up to much well mine wont...also mine doesnt have any effects and the volume nob has fallen off so im looking for a new one...i like the amp but im also looking for something new but i started this because people dont seem to give much in the way of advice they just seem to diss the amp i know there are the odd few but i get the fealing that a lot of ppl hate them from what has been said and have never used them

Well isn't asking about an amp pretty much the same thing? You'll be going on word instead of personal experience.

Just go to a guitar store, park your butt on a stool and try out some amps.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I can't tell if you're serious or not.

oh i thought the tongue gave it away

and eruption. i was trying to decide if i should sig you or not,

never played an mg before or much else

but really i think i'll let you off the hook, because you should like ur amp.
i just think it;s time to move onto something a little better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so whats better then that isnt gonna cost a great deal coz i havent got much just bought a new guitar the other day so might tkae a while to save up lol
what's your guitar?
what's your budget?
what type of music do you like?
are you in a band?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

guitar is an ibenez RG370DX and a stagg L350

im running them thro a borrowed gt8,looking to get my own pedals and build a bored, then into the 15 w mg

i play lots of differenct styles but more rock and metal stuff im not sure what too lookinto with an amp the mg was a present from my mum and dad lol
well if you are primarily a bedroom player, and are just borrowing the gt8, you can get a lot out of a cube 30. $225 usd. dont know about it's availability where you live, but it's got a ton of usable effects, is good for rock and high gain, and usually thought of as a higher quality more portable amp.

if you were thinking of getting into a band, the cube 30 could work for a drummer or other guitar player, but in that case you would want to start thinking about a small tube combo, or maybe a cube 60 if you werent ready for tubes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well whats the difference between a solid state and tubes? like durability playability etc

all i know is that a tube amp is better trhan a solid state one
tube amps arent always great for beginners, imo.

but they do tend to sound better for "most" styles.

a lot of times distortion on a SS amp will sound a little flat. but for high gain and cleans, SS are perfectly fine.

tube amps arent always great for bedroom use, because they work best when cranked.
and are very loud when cranked.

so a lot of guys will use a small tube amp or SS amp for home practice and then a tube amp for gigging or with a band.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so solid state would be good for in room use??? as for in a band arround this area there is a way of hiring the equipment for giging so i will probs do that. so its back to sold state amps what are good for in there class then?

my buget would poss be arround £150 - 200
just a warning on rented equipment, they tend to be a little unreliable, a pain to get and drop off, and not always economical in the end.

if you think there's a good chance you'll get with a band, maybe you should jump into the 30w tube game. peavey, crate, laney.

but again, if you are apprehensive, then i suggest you try cube amps. not sure about ur price, but if they have them in the shops near you, i think you'll like them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 2