Page 1 of 2
Has anyone else experienced this? Every now and then I'll wake up and I won't be able to move for a few seconds. I have to try and jolt my body to get out of it. Sometimes this happens just as I'm drifting off to sleep as well. On a couple of occasions it has happened up to 6 or 7 times in one night. It's pretty horrible when this happens. I feel drained the day after. Anyway, please share any similar experiences or thoughts on the matter.
It used to happen a lot when I was little.

However, I just had a horrible nightmare a few days ago where I experienced something like that. I was dreaming that I was dreaming and I don't know if I was actually trying to move or if I was trying to move in my dream and couldn't...it was the weirdest and most frightening experience I've had in a long while.
never happened to me but I know people who have it happen to them. Its not something to worry about.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Yeah, I know it's completely harmless.

Sometimes I can actually tell when it's going to happen as well. It's horrible when you're unbelievably tired but you can't let yourself go to sleep.
I used to have it fairly frequently. Not so much these days though.

Yeah, I used to wake up but now be able to move and so I'd have to jolt every muscle in my body to wake myself up properly. Scared the **** out of my girlfriend one night

The reason why this happens (if you're interested) is because when you are in deep sleep your muscles relax - to stop you from acting out your dreams - and so what happens during sleep paralysis is your brain wakes up but your muscles don't. Hence the feeling of being paralysed.

Sleep paralysis usually occurs when you are stressed/worried or having trouble sleeping or even sleeping in a new location.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

Yes it happens to me all the time.....it's a terrifying feeling. I sometimes experience hallucinations while I get paralyzed (and it's sooooo scary).....

There are 2 phases of sleep that have something to do with sleep paralysis: hypnagogic and hypnopompic.
Hypnagogic...as you fall asleep
Hypnopompic...as you wake up
(If I remember right, sorry if there are some mistakes)

So you can experience sleep paralysis while you're into the hypnagogic state (while you're falling asleep) or while you're into the hypnopompic state (while you wake up).

Sometimes I try to scream and I feel my mouth open but my voice cant come out.

In short, our body is still sleeping while we experience this, but our mind is awake: so, we can think but we can't use our body cause it's sleeping (and thats why we cant move, talk, run away, etc...)

Anxiety and thoughts can cause this....so, if we're very anxious we can experience sleep paralysis more often.

I hope I gave some useful information.
You died in your sleep, got rigamortis then were resurected.

Simple explanations FTW!
it used to happen to me and my dad always told me to keep your toes moving and don't panic. I've heard of some people getting heart attacks from this just from fright. And wutever u do DONT FALL BACK ASLEEP......for a while
I have never had this, my mate regularily does. But i can say one thing.... I would ****ing **** brix if this ever happened - i would probly have a heart attack for reals
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
Quote by killbox2490
it used to happen to me and my dad always told me to keep your toes moving and don't panic. I've heard of some people getting heart attacks from this just from fright. And wutever u do DONT FALL BACK ASLEEP......for a while

Quite often I go back to sleep though. This is when it happens multiple times in one night. If it wakes me up completely it freaks me out enough to get up, but sometimes I'm still tired and dazed when I come out of it so I just drift back to sleep.

Edit: By the way, thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.
I know what ya mean I used to fall back asleep too but I don't know what to tell you other than don't. If it keeps bothering you though try and see a doctor.
I get it occasionally. It's kinda weird, because I'm just flopping around like a fish in my bed.

It's a strange feeling.
Quote by denizenz

However, I just had a horrible nightmare a few days ago where I experienced something like that. I was dreaming that I was dreaming and I don't know if I was actually trying to move or if I was trying to move in my dream and couldn't...it was the weirdest and most frightening experience I've had in a long while.

i had a similar experience... its some freaky **** aint it?!
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
Quote by greasysnowball
i had a similar experience... its some freaky **** aint it?!

Hell yes. I was dreaming that I was dreaming, but then I woke up (in my dream) and I was laying in bed, but my back was turned to my wife so I was facing the wall, and then someone whispered in my ear and it felt like they were making an incision in my back. I tried to move and yell for my wife, but it felt like I was drugged or like just coming out from an anesthetic sleep.

That's when I finally woke up for real, but I still don't know if I was really trying to move and call for my wife or if it was part of my dream.

Worst nightmare ever.
Quote by denizenz
Hell yes. I was dreaming that I was dreaming, but then I woke up (in my dream) and I was laying in bed, but my back was turned to my wife so I was facing the wall, and then someone whispered in my ear and it felt like they were making an incision in my back. I tried to move and yell for my wife, but it felt like I was drugged or like just coming out from an anesthetic sleep.

That's when I finally woke up for real, but I still don't know if I was really trying to move and call for my wife or if it was part of my dream.

Worst nightmare ever.

in my dream i was napping at school. when i woke up in my dream, i looked up only to see a giant book slowly falling down on me. and when i say slow i mean millimeters a second slow. the only problem was that i couldnt move either. i was watching it slowly fall on me in horror.

when it finally got to me and tapped my head, i woke up.

it was so freaky. and it turns out i was reallyonly alseep for like 2 hours. so i refused to go back to sleep that night because i was terrified
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
I m experiencing that since I was a kid...

I even saw weird images...like

long haired man with a frightening face looking at me...

yeah...you scream but u cant...cant move...crazy like hell

I dont know when will it attack again..
....so little time.
I get it all the time, at first I thought it might of been catatonia but I figured out that I had a number of sleep disorders related to my anixety problems. I also hallucinate before and after I wake up on a number of occasions. Things in my room look like they're moving slowly on a conveyor belt and then back to where they started. Things also contract and expand and things that are too far in the distance for me to see (I normally where glasses, because I'm near-sghted), look like they're moving or form into objects. Freaky ****
Sort of off-topic but the Dredg album El Cielo is based off of this, its really insightful and one of my favorite albums ever.
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
I also get hallucinations when that happens, like I see shadow people, an old woman laughing, or a small kid crying.
Quote by denizenz

That has happened to me to, it sucks .
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
yep we have had quite a few thead on sleep paralysis before
i suffer from it when i sleep on my back, but no other time, same with my dad
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I also get hallucinations when that happens, like I see shadow people, an old woman laughing, or a small kid crying.

It is said that the only time you can actually see a ghost is when you have sleep paralysis...
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Dude this happens to me alot and very often!!!just search 4 sleep paralysis and you'll see i started a whole thread bou it the other day
My Gear
Ibanez GSZ 120
Aria Pro II SL
Starfire Mega 10
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall MG100 DFX
It happened to me about 2 hours ago, but it was just my left arm, i didn't even realise it was happening 'till i tried to scratch my nose and couldn't move my arm, when i tried it just got aweird feeling in it.
it's happened to me once....

i was dreaming i was in some coffee shop having a conversation with someone, when a girl from my school comes in carrying a shotgun....she stands in the middle of the shop and tells a story to everyone there, all the while nobody seems to aknowlege that she has a shotgun...then the cops show up outside just as she finishes her story. she looks outside, throws the shotgun off to someone behind the counter and goes back somewhere. at the same time, someone throws a grenade in and it blows up the entrance to the shop. i go up to the hole it made and look out at the city (which is weird because it wasnt even the city i live in). i look down and the blue guy from that cartoon chalk zone (i think his name is snap) comes up beside me and says "let's go" then he jumps out and warps into a window of a building in the distance. i start to jump myself but just as i go to jump, i hear some little kid laugh. i look over to my right and before i can see anything, i hear a weird bell and i wake up...but i cant move for a few seconds.

for the longest time, i thought my dream and the paralysis were related....but they werent.
Just like the threadstarter, I have had it like multiple times before in the morning, even when my dad was sitting on the couch near where i was "sleeping", and when it happens you know you cant move at all and its just terrifying.

I really really hated it, I havent had it in months though, I almost went to a sleep clinic to get checked out because i had it like weekly awhile ago.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
its happens to every person when the are in REM sleep. its your body's way of protecting you from acting out your dreams. and when i dosent work, that when you sleep walk
Quote by RyanGillam
You got to admire people that share their problems over the internet.

Quote by Våd Hamster
....You need a girlfriend whose name doesn't end in .jpg >_>
Quote by joeyc
its happens to every person when the are in REM sleep. its your body's way of protecting you from acting out your dreams. and when i dosent work, that when you sleep walk

sure, it happens to everyone while they're asleep. but not everyone is unlucky enough to feel it when they wake up.
I've had it happen a couple times, I suddenly wake up from a dream, but my eyes stay closed, and I'm still partly in the dream, but trying to move and wake up, but it doesn't work.

Actually sleep paralysis is one of the possible explanations given for people who say they've been abducted by aliens.
i get it like 6 times a night then i looked up on it, and well if you sleep on your BACK then it happens mostly. so try not sleepingon your back
Quote by Heid
I used to have it fairly frequently. Not so much these days though.

Yeah, I used to wake up but now be able to move and so I'd have to jolt every muscle in my body to wake myself up properly. Scared the **** out of my girlfriend one night

The reason why this happens (if you're interested) is because when you are in deep sleep your muscles relax - to stop you from acting out your dreams - and so what happens during sleep paralysis is your brain wakes up but your muscles don't. Hence the feeling of being paralysed.

Sleep paralysis usually occurs when you are stressed/worried or having trouble sleeping or even sleeping in a new location.

Actually what happens is your brain will stop sending messages to the spinal cord during sleep. So no messages are sent to the muscles.

I don't really have that happen to me. I've never woken up and not been able to move, I also talk, kick, and shake during my sleep.
Two words
Search Bar
XBL Gamertag:thor7861
message me you're from UG first

I can't think of anything to put here

Page 1 of 2