Upgrade bass rig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to play bigger shows and I want to upgrade my bass rig but don't know where to start. I strictly use old tube equipment and have little knowlege of the newer stuff (heads and cabs). My bass rig for years has been a Fender Showman head run through twin JBL 200 watt cab towers. I want to upgrade to something louder and more modern sounding because the band I'm in now has two guitarists and I need to compete in the voulume wars now. Are solid state heads really that bad, or should I consider them? What are the new guys running for cabs these days? any suggestions are welcolm. Please help.
amplifiers for single instruments usually sound better with tubes.......ask a gearhead

about the clipped harmonic waveforms for a real explanation....for a pa that handles

multiple instruments solid state....ive been told that the round harmonic waveforms

are part of the sweet sound you get from tubes but those same harmonics can be a

problem once everything is all miked together.that being said there are some fine ss

amps out there....like galien krugers but most guys i talk to would gladly take on the

extra expense and weight of a tube amp to gain the sweet sound
Quote by fake_sk8r182
Best place to start would be your budget, and what sort of music you play, then we can give you some really detailed help

I used to play classic rock with my Showman..

Right now i'm going to be playing 80's metal, N.W.O.B.H.M., harder edged stuff.

Budget is about $4,000
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I used to play classic rock with my Showman..

Right now i'm going to be playing 80's metal, N.W.O.B.H.M., harder edged stuff.

Budget is about $4,000
for that kind of stuff svt (usa) accept no substitute
Actually, with a budget like that, and the fact you mentioned you're after a more modern tone, I'd definitely take a look at Eden gear. It's pretty much considered to be 'the' modern and contemporary sound, and it offers an alternative to Ampeg's SVT gear (as good as it is, it's a little overused these days).

EDIT:

In terms of the solid state vs tube debate, I'm torn. I adore pure tube tone, but in terms of transportability, and reliability, taking a tube head on the road isn't all that practical. Solid State amps are actually a lot higher in quality than they used to be, and now the majority of manufacturers (Eden, Ampeg, Ashdown, Fender to name a few) offer amps with a tube preamp stage and a solid state power stage. This provides authentic tube warmth and colouration, and the reliability and transportability of solid state. Definitely worth looking into one of these hybrids.

To answer your question about cabinets - how long is a piece of string? Cabs these days come in all shapes and sizes to cover almost every frequency range imaginable. It all comes down to personal preference. Most touring 'rock' bassists will take a couple of 8x10 fridges out on the road with them, but as with the tube heads, this isn't always practical in terms of transporting your rig from A to B. I personally prefer 2x12 cabs, as they offer the happy medium between 10's and 15's. You get a tight sounding low-end, and snappy highs, without over-emphasising one or the other (which using 15's or 10's tends to do). Most importantly with 12's you get increased mid-range performance, which is without a doubt the most important factor when cutting through and making yourself heard in a live band setting.

If it was me? A hybrid Eden head, run into a 2x12 cab, maybe with a 1x15 underneath to give your bottom end a bit of a boost.
Last edited by fake_sk8r182 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by fake_sk8r182
Actually, with a budget like that, and the fact you mentioned you're after a more modern tone, I'd definitely take a look at Eden gear. It's pretty much considered to be 'the' modern and contemporary sound, and it offers an alternative to Ampeg's SVT gear (as good as it is, it's a little overused these days).

EDIT:

In terms of the solid state vs tube debate, I'm torn. I adore pure tube tone, but in terms of transportability, and reliability, taking a tube head on the road isn't all that practical. Solid State amps are actually a lot higher in quality than they used to be, and now the majority of manufacturers (Eden, Ampeg, Ashdown, Fender to name a few) offer amps with a tube preamp stage and a solid state power stage. This provides authentic tube warmth and colouration, and the reliability and transportability of solid state. Definitely worth looking into one of these hybrids.

To answer your question about cabinets - how long is a piece of string? Cabs these days come in all shapes and sizes to cover almost every frequency range imaginable. It all comes down to personal preference. Most touring 'rock' bassists will take a couple of 8x10 fridges out on the road with them, but as with the tube heads, this isn't always practical in terms of transporting your rig from A to B. I personally prefer 2x12 cabs, as they offer the happy medium between 10's and 15's. You get a tight sounding low-end, and snappy highs, without over-emphasising one or the other (which using 15's or 10's tends to do). Most importantly with 12's you get increased mid-range performance, which is without a doubt the most important factor when cutting through and making yourself heard in a live band setting.

If it was me? A hybrid Eden head, run into a 2x12 cab, maybe with a 1x15 underneath to give your bottom end a bit of a boost.

Thanks for the input. It is really for me about presence and loudness so I don't get buried in the mix. One of my guitarists is useing the typical Marshall set up, with two 4 X 12 cabs w/ a Les Paul. The other is running a huge Crate set up, I think its like 500 watts. My old 60's tube stuff would probably burst into flames if I tried to compete with that. People keep telling me to go with Ampeg, I dunno, what do you think? I will look into Eden though. I suppose that sice everything will be so LOUD now that I will need a monitor as well.

I really want to get a nice deep low end thumpy growl, I hardly ever put my mid past 4 and my treble is ALWAYS on 1.

Oh yeah, the size of the shows are big-sized clubs.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Mar 13, 2008,
If you're looking for a modern tone, do not look at Ampeg. They've got that old school thump down pat, but when looking for a more modern sounding amp I would tend to lean to solid state amps. And for the highest of high end of solid state amplification, Eden is where it's at. Like sk8r said, try out some 2x12 cabs paired with a 15" cabber before immediately going for a 4x10.