Recently I've gotten interested in post-punk bands like Joy Division, The Birthday Party, The Cure etc etc. I want to know if theres like a good post-punk complilation CD that I could get, I want like the Sub Pop 200 of post-punk. Or if not can I just get a list of essential post-punk albums.
These are, IMO, essential post-punk albums:

Wire - Pink Flag
Gang of Four - Entertainment
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
The Slits - Cut

Other good post-punk albums to check out:
The Chameleons UK - Strange Times
The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
Magazine - Real Life
Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

and, whilst not technically post-punk, check out Marquee Moon by Televison. It came before the post-punk movement but is definitely post-punk in style and, IMO, is one of the (if not the) greatest album(s) ever made.
aw fack you Zeppelin! I was gonna say all that!
But anyways yes, check out Magazine's Real Life album, Gang of Four's Entertainment!
Then check out bands like:
Bauhaus
DEVO
The Pop Group
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Pere Ubu
Talking Heads

And if you like newer stuff, listen to the Strokes, the Futureheads, the Rakes, the Cribs, the Young Knives, Art Brut, and/or Maximo Park.

EDIT: Or the French Kicks! I always leave those guys out.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Last edited by K-Lizzle at Mar 14, 2008,
sorry doolittle, I get a tad too excited on the mention of post-punk

Also, the Violent Femmes debut is an essential post-punk? album. Oh, an the Raincoats' self titled as well. But it's quite hard to find.
Everything you need has pretty much been covered. But I'd suggest Closer by Joy Division rather than Unknown Pleasures. For Public Image Ltd., check out First Issue.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
sorry doolittle, I get a tad too excited on the mention of post-punk

Also, the Violent Femmes debut is an essential post-punk? album. Oh, an the Raincoats' self titled as well. But it's quite hard to find.

I'm sure both of those could be considered post-punk, so why not?
But yeah, I always get excited as well when there's post punk to be chatted about!

One word, One band:
WIRE

Absolutely get Pink Flag and Chairs Missing. Two ****ing amazing albums. Another one of my favorite post-punk bands (but unfortunately only known mainstream for "Whip It") is Devo. Their first album Q.) Are We Not Men? is insaaane. Also, definitely check out Television's first album Marquee Moon... excellent stuff. Glad to see some other post-punk fans out there!
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Quote by dookie_dude_
Patti Smith - ''Easter'' and ''Horses''

No way that's post-punk. Garage rock - possibly proto-punk.
Quote by Doolittle
Wire is great, but by no means the best post-punk band!

But also check out Big Black.

Big Black are amazing
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
aaaah big black. steve albini doesn't look the type but his songs suggest otherwise...and he's probably killed a man or two.
^MY BLACK ASS. Shellac ftw
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"