hey, so i have a problem with my desktop on XP.
i can't get it to show a background image, it only shows solid colors. i logged onto the guest account, and there the problem doesn't occur.

any ideas as to what could have happened to my desktop? seeing the plain black gets boring.

oh yeah, and everytime windows turns on and off, i see a short flash of the image i had as a background before the problem happened.
Quote by CoreysMonster
hey, so i have a problem with my desktop on XP.
i can't get it to show a background image, it only shows solid colors. i logged onto the guest account, and there the problem doesn't occur.

any ideas as to what could have happened to my desktop? seeing the plain black gets boring.

oh yeah, and everytime windows turns on and off, i see a short flash of the image i had as a background before the problem happened.

Are the images you're trying to use still in the same location on your hard drive as they were when you added them to the list of images to be used? If you've moved them that can screw around with your desktop....try browsing for a new image in your pictures folder and using that?
Quote by fake_sk8r182
Are the images you're trying to use still in the same location on your hard drive as they were when you added them to the list of images to be used? If you've moved them that can screw around with your desktop....try browsing for a new image in your pictures folder and using that?

hm, this may be the problem. i think i moved the image that i had before the problem started.

but even when i try to put a new one, from a different location, it won't change it.
Open My Computer and browse to c:\Documents and Settings\username

Make sure you can view hidden files and folders;
Tools > folder Options > View > Select "Show Hidden files and Folders"

Rename the file named "NTUSER.DAT" to NTUSER.OLD, log off, and log back on again. This should fix the problem.

Note, that you may lose any items on your desktop and all shortcuts to programs that are installed for your profile only. You can restore them by renaming NTUSER.OLD back to NTUSER.DAT (but the problem may occur again).

Let me know how this goes.
Quote by saphrax
Open My Computer and browse to c:\Documents and Settings\username

Make sure you can view hidden files and folders;
Tools > folder Options > View > Select "Show Hidden files and Folders"

Rename the file named "NTUSER.DAT" to NTUSER.OLD, log off, and log back on again. This should fix the problem.

Note, that you may lose any items on your desktop and all shortcuts to programs that are installed for your profile only. You can restore them by renaming NTUSER.OLD back to NTUSER.DAT (but the problem may occur again).

Let me know how this goes.

i cant rename it, it's being used by another program
Quote by CoreysMonster
i cant rename it, it's being used by another program

Reboot into Safe Mode perhaps, and then rename from command line? It's likely being used by the Windows Manager/Desktop Environment/Whatever.

-SD
There's a chance theres something blocking your background.
once i had a virus, it simulated that my desktop had changed, but really it just opened some big ass window over the top.

Dunno if this has any relevance though.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Reboot into Safe Mode perhaps, and then rename from command line? It's likely being used by the Windows Manager/Desktop Environment/Whatever.

-SD

The man speaks thr truth. Either do it from the command prompt, or logon as a system admin and change it there.