I just thought I'd make a new thread rather than bumping one of the older threads from last year. I thought it would be nice for everyone to show off their fretless basses and also perhaps for the more experienced fretless players out there to give some tips to guys like me who are just beginning to take their fretless playing seriously.

Anywho here's my baby!

Body Shot

Neck Shot

This is my first fretless bass, bought it in January and jammed on it for a good few days but went back to playing my Elite-5 and haven't really had a good play on this one for a while. For a entry level fretless I find that the pickups on it are actually quite good, I can get a wide variety of tones from them.

Hope you guys like it!
Since my baby is the BOTM for March, I won't repost the pics here

As far as advice--the largest issue you will face is intonation. period. Fitz wrote a whole gospel on this (I think it was chapter two) and gave some great pointers, which are worth more than a casual read. For me, the key was to pitch off the open strings (this is where working on your "relative" pitch becomes very useful) and play with others, because this can help you nail your intonation in relation to others.

A bit of a funny story there. I was playing last night with another fretless bass player and we didn't realize that he was about a 1/4 tone sharp and I was about 1/4 tone flat in tuning. We spent the better part of an entire jazz song trying to adjust intonation to each other, not realizing our own instruments were slight out of tune. The last note of the song, where I was playing the bass line and he the chord sounded awful and we just cracked up because it was so bad in a way that only fretless can sound when they are off. It was even better when we reached for the tuner and realized what the problem was.

And to the TS, welcome to the club!. Fretless takes a bit of work to get to sounding decent, but its worth the effort. The other piece of advice is to keep at it and keep up the solid skills that you build on the instrument.
What make and model is your bass, TS?
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
It's an Oldfield B4FL, at least I think that's the model name, something similar to that anyway. Not bad considering it only cost me £150 witha free strap and gigbag. I always seem to get free gig bags when I buy new basses, my guitarists hate it, I have like 3 spare gig bags now lol

I'm actually thinking of switching out the tone and volume nobs for gold ones, as I think it might look better, but then I may have to change the bridge. What d you think?
Last edited by TobyFellrunners at Mar 13, 2008,
I wish I had some pictures of it but mine is a 1972 P-bass that I defretted. It's black with a white pickgaurd and it has a birdseye maple neck which I haven't seen too many of on Fenders. I really don't don't use it too much anymore though but it's a really really fat sounding bass with a lot of mwahhhhh.
no pics at the moment but last night i played a gig with my fretless acoustic bass so there should be pics of that soon
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I have a Yamaha RBXF fretless bass... Also more of a starter, bought it for 300 Euro's by Musik Produktiv in Germany.. But honestly sounds like an advanced bass rather than a starter.. When I bought it, it was perfectly set up, and the sound was amazing...

This is it here, apologies for not having a personal picture..

My cash supply was not really all that low, and I could of bought myself a Warwick 5 string fretless, which was going for about 600 Euro's as far as I can remember..

But when I compared, I found the Yamaha just had a much nicer and fatter tone, which could also be adjusted quite nicely..
I just wish that a 5 string version was available at the time, that would of been heaven..
Only this one unfortunately. I also have a Warwick Corvette and a Fender P-Bass, Fretted obviously, but only this fretless.. Lately I've only been playing fretless..

I think the best thing about a fretless is the smoothness, the sound, and the fact that you can play as fast as the lead guitarist without resorting to tapping... For instance, if you listen to Necrophagist, or search for "Only Ash remains" on YouTube, the intro can be played quite easily without tapping on a fretless, depending of course, on how fast your fingers can move.. In my old band (We broke up because it is the last year of school, and we all actually do care about achieving), the lead guitarist and myself played solo's together.. Which is not traditional in bass, but a lot of fun.. I find it much easier to improvise on a fretless as well...
Buahahahaha.

Sorry, I dunno how to shrink images in BB Code. Anyone want to inform me, or am I just the only one too lazy to do it in Photoshop?
my cam isnt working right now so ill just give details. i just picked up my first fretless the other day from a guy at work. its a yamaha rbx 200f (discontinued) red body with black neck. who ever had this before the guy i work with did some decent upgrades like a badass 2 bridge, straplocks and chrome knobs. this thing plays like a dream. so far its a pretty easy adjustment for me and im really diggin the tone. and the best part? i paid thirty bucks for it! including a practice amp! SUCKER
main rig

*schecter C-1xxx w/kent armstrong distortion and ultra distortion p/u
crate palomino v16 (usa)
EH big muff (nyc)
EH small stone (russia)

SCHECTERS UNITE!
PalOmInOOO
Quote by Jiimy
Because I wanted to?

Are you talking an actual 72 P or a is it a reissue?
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
What the hell is wrong with you? You changed a vintage bass irreversibly because "you wanted too"?
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
It's a bass that I use, and never intend to sell. The tone I wanted was that of a fretless vintage P-bass. So I made it. What's wrong with having what you want? And besides a 72 is not so vintage that it is priceless or anything. If it was a late 50s or early 60s then it would be a different story.
Quote by FenderKid87
What the hell is wrong with you? You changed a vintage bass irreversibly because "you wanted too"?

Plus a vintage fretless P sounds like t3h sex.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I defretted my Johnson bass, it was my starter bass

Here's it before: (sorry for blur, picture was taken on a cell phone)

and after:

It plays really well, and has a good sound to it.
My drummer has an awesome washburn fretlees, cost a bomb and plays the balls, ill try and get a photo.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Here is some picks of my defretted GSR200FM. I defretted it using a soldering iron, filled it with wood putty, and put a very nice epoxy coating on it (still need to buff the epoxy).
I was going to put some more money onto it, but in the end its still a $100USD bass. Maybe I get a nice fretless sometime.
On with the pics:

Quote by terb
Here is some picks of my defretted GSR200FM. I defretted it using a soldering iron, filled it with wood putty, and put a very nice epoxy coating on it (still need to buff the epoxy).
I was going to put some more money onto it, but in the end its still a $100USD bass. Maybe I get a nice fretless sometime.
On with the pics:

Dude, neck looks incredible for a DIY job!
I love my de-fretted Jazz...
all hand-painted

spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
Quote by not wisniewski
I love my de-fretted Jazz...
all hand-painted

Thats REALLY hot stuff, good job

Ive been thinking of 'commissioning' an artists to do something like that or some engraving...

good job
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Terb, how'd you apply the epoxy? It looks pretty damn even. What did you use?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
@not wisniewski: that paint job looks cool! not exactly my style, but that is definitely custom. I was thinking about striping the finish of mine and letting my GF give it a paint job...... but it might come back all flowers lol

@thefitz: I used Envirotex-Lite. Its self leveling and VERY durable (I used roundwounds for a couple weeks and it left no marks) I probably should have thinned it a little because it went on quite thick. Its almost as thick as the frets were!!! I didn't have any clean acetone to thin it with though. It didn't come out as even as i would have hoped. you can see in one of the pics that I have a section that is not smooth:

I also had some minor dimples. I had one flat spot that I had to fix... but hey, I now play this guitar almost as much as my EM MM.
Last edited by terb at Mar 24, 2008,
Still, that's quite impressive, and IMO, you can't get it on too thick!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
terb, how are you fixing these spots? Ive tried to sand down a layer of epoxy and it made it look all scratchy and bad. how did you get it nice and polished?
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3

my piece of crap p bass copy that i defretted.
turned out better than i expected though to be honest.

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by not wisniewski
terb, how are you fixing these spots? Ive tried to sand down a layer of epoxy and it made it look all scratchy and bad. how did you get it nice and polished?

I've read on two methods:
#1) After you fix the spots and sand it smooth, paint down a very thin layer of epoxy. This will add a glass-like finish without adding too much material.

#2) use metal polish and a polishing wheel. I bought a polishing wheel for my electric drill, but I don't think it spins fast enough. I need to get my hands on a Dremel tool with a polishing wheel. My friend used a Dremel to polish CNCed aluminum, so I hope it will polish epoxy nicely.
Quote by terb
On with the pics:

Very nice indeed, I can see myself in that neck! I'm almost done with my poly'd neck, pics in the next few days.
Quote by Jiimy
I wish I had some pictures of it but mine is a 1972 P-bass that I defretted. It's black with a white pickgaurd and it has a birdseye maple neck which I haven't seen too many of on Fenders. I really don't don't use it too much anymore though but it's a really really fat sounding bass with a lot of mwahhhhh.

Yeah...pics or there is no way in hell that it happened. But on a side note, I want a fretless
eh, you've all seen it by now, but what the hell, I have time to kill posting it again. One of these days I need to get a new picture, I'm kinda getting sick of this one.

Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.