Alright so I realize I need to get an mp3 player... normally I'm a die hard CD/vinyl dude but I need it for the gym/running, the car, etc...

I want to get one of those things that lets me plug into the radio with it too.

So what's the best mp3 player to get? I don't need a TON of room I would only use it some of the time, I use cds for my stereo etc... at home. I mainly just want something with very high quality sound (preferably bass/EQ options) and that's durable as I heard sometimes these things just break down after a year or so (despite not being abused).

Sound quality is probably the biggest consideration I'm kind of an audiophile so it's important.

Also a long battery life would be good.

thanks
Last edited by WNxScythe at Mar 13, 2008,
I had a really good RCA Lyra that was made for working out, it had a heart monitor and stuff in it...it had good quality and a radio in it with presets....then i lost it
Why not MP4?

ok I hav a Compu Shop and evryday customers walk in to download MP3s
heres what i lyk the best.....TOSHIBA
....so little time.
I've got a Creative Zen Microphoto, really very good, durable as well, if you drop it its got a hard shell so it shouldn't break, unlike an iPod. It's got a radio on it too.
I know this is kinda obvious, but I really like my iPod, ... a lot. And some of my friends have told me that Apple's customer service is really nice if something happens (as in they basically just send you a new one if anything happens to it).
never go wrong with an ipod... there more expensive but a shuffle is decently priced and incredibly small and gives that radio feel without comerciasl or if you want download commer cials and thee you have it

low space easy to use and incredibly small.
i however have the new 3rd gen ipod nano no complaints on it yet though the back of it is very easily scratched and such but as long as it plays im good long life greatr screen great music play and very cool features. and it doesnt fall off the chord to my suprise if it drops ( some times) and there real durable my gf dropped it yesterday lmao...works perfect and if errors do occer just reset it ( read manual on how to do so ) and its good to go all over again ^_^
Yeah anything Creative Zen should be fine. I got a Creative Zen Vision: M and does music,video,pictures,radio. The lot.
Quote by cptcomet
I've got a Creative Zen Microphoto, really very good, durable as well, if you drop it its got a hard shell so it shouldn't break, unlike an iPod. It's got a radio on it too.

They seriously replace it as soon as it stops working??? Haven't heard that before... my friend said his died after 2 years and he had to buy a new one.

Can someone confirm this?
btw like above the customr service is really great (especially if you get it at costco where its 20 bucks cheaper too ) so getting a new one should be easy in case its not durable enough they do break pretty easy if abused but minees has lasted me all the time since ive had it perfectly...and holds plenty with its 8g memory..sadly no radio but then again why would a company need to waste money and space to make a built in radio when you hace the songs you want in one play list or in your normal list...
The zen stone is probably the best for memory size vs physical size.

It's smaller than my thumb with 2gb memory.
Quote by WNxScythe
They seriously replace it as soon as it stops working??? Haven't heard that before... my friend said his died after 2 years and he had to buy a new one.

Can someone confirm this?

ok its true for the most part as long as its not abused and your lucky to have a happy work check it out...get it from costco if you get an ipod and while your at it stock up on gaterades and viatemins ( if needed ) there alwayz cheaper
and ipods are ussualy 10% off over there and costco has incredible service 90 days back no matter what and awesome service even afterwards not to mention with warranty from costco and apple.inc.

after 2 years your friends service may have run out and buying a new one after 2 years is good to get the new technology ^_^
I know several people have said this already, but get an iPod. I know you said you would just be using it at the gym, running, etc., but you'll prolly end up using it more than you think. I wasn't shure how much I would use mine when I bought it, but it is sooo much easier than CD's, that I don't ever use CD's anymore. IPods have gotten alot cheaper too.
Quote by Player Slayer
never go wrong with an ipod... there more expensive but a shuffle is decently priced and incredibly small and gives that radio feel without comerciasl or if you want download commer cials and thee you have it

low space easy to use and incredibly small.
i however have the new 3rd gen ipod nano no complaints on it yet though the back of it is very easily scratched and such but as long as it plays im good long life greatr screen great music play and very cool features. and it doesnt fall off the chord to my suprise if it drops ( some times) and there real durable my gf dropped it yesterday lmao...works perfect and if errors do occer just reset it ( read manual on how to do so ) and its good to go all over again ^_^

I don't like iTunes. I would rather have a drag and drop type thing.
wat
So is there a reason why the Creative Zen Stone for example is like $50 while the Ipods are in the $150-200 range??
Quote by ninjafingers
I know several people have said this already, but get an iPod. I know you said you would just be using it at the gym, running, etc., but you'll prolly end up using it more than you think. I wasn't shure how much I would use mine when I bought it, but it is sooo much easier than CD's, that I don't ever use CD's anymore. IPods have gotten alot cheaper too.

OH TRUE TRU!! i second this to the max.
it is very true i bought mine for music sudy and i do but i use it all the time...im using right now as we speak...im at school right now...lolz i like that i dont need a proxy for this site =]

i use it about 3 hours a day?....1-4 hours i would say depends i use it when i skate board i use it to help me play guitar...i use it for school... i use it before i sleep its my alarm...i play the games on it.,..i love look at pictures on my girlfriend when im far from her on it play songs that remoin\d me of her bell rang im out hope this helps bye
Do all of these have EQ options/bass etc.?

Also, can I control what bitrate the songs I upload to it are? (I'd probably go with VBR or 320)
Sorry to hijack your thread a bit but does anyone know if the Ipod touches are any good?

I've got an Ipod mini at the moment which I've had since they came out, but it's starting to look like I attacked it with a tin opener. The only problem I ever had with the mini was that the sound quality wasn't brilliant, any idea if the sound has improved on newer ones?
Quote by saphrax
Winamp = iPod compatible with drag and drop = FTW!

really?
wat
Does the Zen have superior audio to Ipod/other options? I'm kind of an audiophile so it's important.

Also this might be a dumbass question but do all these mp3 players allow you to easily organize the songs into categories etc...? Cause I had this DIRT CHEAP ipod ripoff I got in a third world country that didn't
Last edited by WNxScythe at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by WNxScythe
Do all of these have EQ options/bass etc.?

Also, can I control what bitrate the songs I upload to it are? (I'd probably go with VBR or 320)

I think they all have EQ presets, but not an eq you can change each bit of if that makes sense. Also the bitrate will be whatever bitrate the mp3 you upload to it is, for example if you upload a 320 it will be 320, if you upload a 128 you can't make it 320
Also a long battery life would be good. These all pretty much the same when it comes to that?
iPod or Zune
they are both reliable and have great battery life

/thread
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
iPods. Are. Not. MP3. Players.

They convert MP3s into their own .aac format before allowing transfer to the iPod.

On topic, Creative is the way to go. I had a Creative Zen Vision:M a while back and I loved it to death.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.