I play a Gibson SG. With my old guitar, my strap has failed a few times, but i cought it before it fell. My dad said, in his oppinion, they're more trouble than they're worth..

Is it worthwhile getting strap locks?
If i decide to get strap locks, what type should i get?
sup?
YES it is worth it, get good metal ones.

Please listen haha, last year I was playing a show, and my strap peaced out. My BRAND NEW Godin LG (with EMGS, 900 bucks) fell and the head snapped right off the neck.
100% get one, idk whats more troubling than watching your guitar fall to its demise
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
more trouble than they're worth? What trouble? You just screw them on and then you're basically done. I really don't see any reason why you shouldn't get them.

1/10th of the price and work just as well i assure you. The problem with installing full fledged metal strap locks is that having to unscrew everything makes the thread in the wood less defined so the entire strap button could just fall out.
I like dimarzio cliplock straps but I'm starting to move away from them as my wireless unit doesn't sit well on the nylon, it keeps falling off!!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by beckyjc

1/10th of the price and work just as well i assure you. The problem with installing full fledged metal strap locks is that having to unscrew everything makes the thread in the wood less defined so the entire strap button could just fall out.

What is that?

Also, the straplocks gouged out the wood on my buddies bass, so I am reluctant to get them. My strap is very snug on my SZ520QM and has never come close to falling off while playing (I don't gig yet though). Do I still need to get one?
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal

I've never had that problem before, and if a screw felt loose I'd just put a bit of filler or glu in the hole before i put the screw in.

Anyways, yes 100 times over 1000% yes they are worth it.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Your dad knows ****!
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop 50's Neck
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Line 6 Spider 3 150
Line 6 Pocket POD

Member #23 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
Quote by beckyjc

I used the same idea, but with the red gaskets from Grolsch bottles. Gave me strap locks and a little bit of a buzz!
Gear:
Gibson Explorer (white)
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender SuperSonic 112
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
EHX No.1 Echo
Ibanez Weeping Demon
http://www.dv247.com/invt/43794/

I picked one of these up at market for £2 and im pretty confident i could swing my guitar around my head without it falling off....

I also used a metal washer originally, just unscrewed the strap button, put the washer on and the strap underneath. Ghetto strap locks.

I wouldnt go out paying £20 for some with some fancy locking device youd probably accidenlty hit with your hand...
I have strap locks on my G-400, I've had them on for years and never had problems with them, my strap always fell off my G-400 so I had to get some.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
your dad's a dummy.

get them.

Quote by beckyjc
http://www.dv247.com/invt/43794/

I picked one of these up at market for £2 and im pretty confident i could swing my guitar around my head without it falling off....

I also used a metal washer originally, just unscrewed the strap button, put the washer on and the strap underneath. Ghetto strap locks.

I wouldnt go out paying £20 for some with some fancy locking device youd probably accidenlty hit with your hand...

if you can "accidentally" knock off a strap lock, get a video.

these things do not come off, unless you rip off the screw from your guitar.

in which case, you just use some wood glue and a couple matchsticks and re-screw them in.

go, spend $20 (or 10 pounds) and save yourself and your guitar from a world of hurt.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by beckyjc

Yep, I've been using these since I started playing. I just went into my local (small) guitar shop and asked for stralocks as everyone on UG had recommended them. I didn't realise that these wern't actually straplocks, but damn they do work well! And are much cheaper!
OKay, when I tried to screw in my Schallers into my Hagstrom, the screw wasnt long enough and couldnt catch on the threads in the wood, im wondering if I compromised my strap pin by doing this. IE if I go out and buy the Dunlop Ergo Lok, im wondering if the strap will hold but the pin wont... ive yanked pretty hard on the pin and its in there for sure...but I just wonder....cause I like spinning my guitar.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by deftonesordie
your dad's a dummy.

get them.

if you can "accidentally" knock off a strap lock, get a video.

these things do not come off, unless you rip off the screw from your guitar.

in which case, you just use some wood glue and a couple matchsticks and re-screw them in.

go, spend $20 (or 10 pounds) and save yourself and your guitar from a world of hurt.

Im talking about the ones wiht locking mechanisms and ****. I read reviews of some dunlop/schaller straplocks where the guy claimed to have accidently hit the button to release it.

By the time youve ripped the screws from your guitar and dropped it on the floor tis a bit late...
Everyone who hasn't dropped a guitar doesn't think straplocks are worth it...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
1st go tell your dad he is a moron for all of UG..

2nd buy some schaller straplocks and install them, takes 2 seconds and you'll never have to worry about your strap falling off again.

2 things I must point out because it annoys me -

Removing 1 screw and putting in a new one will not strip any wood out unless you are a complete moron, and the screws that come with schaller straplocks are usually thicker than regular strap-button screws, so they grib in even tighter than the old screw..

Also if you've put them on correctly it is IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally hit the realease, at least on schallers anyway, maybe on some cheap ****ty ones. I agree with whomever said.. if you can do it, make a video so I can see it, because it is impossible.
ok, everybody who said my dad is a moron, etc. he's been playing for 40 years!

and thanks, im mostly worrying about it stripping the wood, so the screw would be loose, like in my other guitar. What if the screw that came with the strap locks had threads closer or farther apart?

should i just go with something like this instead?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZXFWO
sup?