Right so i've been working at Iceland for about 3 weeks now and its alright i suppose, a job is a job. Everything is going fine and the staff have a laugh and all that. Well anyway, when i finished work yesterday, the manager come upto me and said 'Ben if you want to work here then your gonna have to shave'. Baring in mind i had a light beard and i didnt see much harm, so i just said yes without even thinking. So i left working feeling quite annoyed... I suppose you could say what he said was discrimination. So i had a shave last night otherwise he said he would send me home if it came back!

Do you feel that he was right to say that? Or do u agree with me and see no harm in having a 'light' beard at work?

Please i want your views, this will be very interesting! Thanks!
Umm. . . . benji laden? is that you?
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
My manager told me to shave my face and cut my hair. I told him its this long for religious purposes. He couldn't do anything about it. I shaved just so I wouldn't be an asshole about it.
REMEMBER REMEMBER THE 8TH OF NOVEMBER!! I SURVIVED 4CHAN'S INVASION!!
Uneeded Praising Section:
Quote by The_Hottest_Day
Why didnt you get cable-less mics?

Quote by Oldmonkeys
lol good call

Quote by Kensai
^
^ That was at me so yes it is praise.
I doubt it would be discrimination. Fact is, I wouldn't want to buy food from a place where the staff look like a bunch of jakey bastards who don't shave.
Quote by The_Hottest_Day
My manager told me to shave my face and cut my hair. I told him its this long for religious purposes. He couldn't do anything about it. I shaved just so I wouldn't be an asshole about it.

So basically you lied to him?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He has every right to tell you to shave. You're on the shop floor, and have to show a presentable front of the company. People won't buy stuff from a place they think is worked by a bunch of scruffy layabouts, will they?

+1

I worked for an investment company called Rathbones for about 2 months. Got it as a job from school before i started uni. I also was told to shave my beard so I would look a bit more presentable. I did not think it looked unkempt but he is the boss, he pays me, he says jump i say how high. Its all about the money :>
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
Quote by MightyAl
So basically you lied to him?

Yes.

Also, double posts = win
REMEMBER REMEMBER THE 8TH OF NOVEMBER!! I SURVIVED 4CHAN'S INVASION!!
Uneeded Praising Section:
Quote by The_Hottest_Day
Why didnt you get cable-less mics?

Quote by Oldmonkeys
lol good call

Quote by Kensai
^
^ That was at me so yes it is praise.
i was told to cut my hair last summer by my boss, and it was no big deal. i had been given hints by other people working, and i knew it was coming. i work at a golf course, but they didn't make me shave off my beard. that's a bit weird that you had to shave a light beard
Quote by The_Hottest_Day
Yes.

Also, double posts = win

Yea, I know. The edit button is for quitters.
I have to shave every day before work. I can't even have a shadow. It sucks balls. I want a damn beard! I just grew one over spring break and was sad when I had to shave it off to go back to work. Damn corporations...
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Ya, a business really has every right to make you change your appearance, because in all honesty you are to them a tool for making a profit, and if they feel changing your appearance is going to enhance that, then because they are paying you, you should oblige. If your beard is important to you, though, that's fine, but let them find another person who is willing to shave for a job.
Well as much as I want to say it was discrimination I hate pussies. Yes, if you were wearing a turban or had the beard for religious reasons you could probably get the man fired for suggesting such a thing.

But instead of sinking that low and complaining I'd just man up and shave it off.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
I get complimented on my beard at work
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
i would have fly kicked him into one of the iceland fridges. and said something cool like "shave this shavey mcshaverson."
'id give you one of my beers but i only have six' - deja voodoo
In some places it's health and safety. If you work around food and you have a beard, it's could get you in trouble unless you shave it or put a hairnet over it...
dude..it's just a beard. i mean it would be like incredibly difficult for me to part with my goatee, but honestly be glad you have a job..
Quote by Spamwise
dude..it's just a beard. i mean it would be like incredibly difficult for me to part with my goatee, but honestly be glad you have a job..

...In Iceland...? Are you sure?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
a week ago, my tutor told me to get a hair cut
i said yes.
here i am now, still with my hair, and no plans to rid of it soon.

how "light" was your beard?
lol, I remember one time my manager had to go shop for supplies and one of the other workers mentioned that she should pick up a razor for me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with facial hair as long as it looks good. If you've got a nasty neckbeard going then you should totally clean yourself up.
Quote by im_hungry
Pics of the beard?

Thanks for all ur comments, its been good reading them. I havent got any pics unfortunately but i hadnt shaved for about probs a week and a bit. It just really suprised me when he came out with something like that. My dad said to me, at the end of the day we all do things that we dont wanna do, which is true.
i was told i had to cut my hair, i never did though :-D
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
wow...I wonder what my boss will say when I get a job.

"CUT YOUR HAIR OR GTFO OUT!!"