Here are the goods from the thread I started on Monday. Enjoy.

WOOHOO I GOT SUCH AN AMAZING DEAL!

I have to thank the people on these boards for steering me in the right direction. I had no clue what a B-52 was before I asked here. I'll give a quick review of everything I tried first then I will tell about what I got. So, go straight to the bottom if you want to see the goods hehe.

Crate VTX200:
http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/CrateVTX200S.html

Ever heard of these? Yeah, me either. The GC guy plugged it in and said don't look at the sticker. It was 3 channels and sounded really bright and punchy for a solid state amp. This amp looks like a cheap version of a boutique fender type amp, but both distortion channels could crunch AND chug. I almost bought this amp, good thing I looked around more. It was $899 sticker and he was knocking it down to $450 because of a loose footswitch jack. I'm an engineer so it would take 5 minutes to resolder. I was looking for a little more warmth and didn't need all of the effects. This will be an amazing buy for someone else though.

Randall RG100:

I couldn't find a link for this amp. It was a pretty sweet combo. 100W solid state, two gain channels, 2x12. This amp was a brute in the gain dept. I really liked the way this thing snarled. Again though, it didn't have the warm, punchy tube characteristic I was looking for. It was also $500 and I couldn't see paying that much for this amp. Great amp, just not what I wanted.

Raven RG100:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-R...717-i1385074.gc

I'll have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the metalness of this amp. The 2x12's really pushed some air and it had a good chug to it. I kind of didn't like the tone, but my buddy was really digging on this amp. He picked it up for $255 with tax. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Peavey Classic 30:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...mbo-?sku=481014

This amp was pretty sweet for an all around amp. I guess I didn't tell the salesman exactly what I wanted. Got a schweet classic rock, AC/DC tone out of it and a nice blues sound, but no brootz. I've read good things about this amp, but I couldn't recommend it for metal.

This same store was a Mesa dealer. They let me touch a few recs, a lonestar, a mark IV, and a 550 combo. They knew I didn't have the cash to blow so they wouldn't let me break windows with them. They were also a PRS and ESP dealership. They had more high end toys than a BMW dealership.

Various other slops I played through:

Played a Marshall MG just for giggles. Everyone is dead on. This thing is a clunker for the money. I couldn't stand the VOX ADVT series. I am not a huge fan of modeling amps. It's better than any Line 6 by far, just not great sounding to my ears. There was one of the Kerry King new sig practice amps that I really laughed at. He says he plays it before every show to warm up on, but I've also been told that Iraq had weapons of mass distruction. I played 2 B-52 AT212's. One was busted and there was no gain. I had both gain knobs cranked, on the right channel, and on Class A. Im guessing the tubes were done in. The other combo sounded like a speaker was blown. I had the bass up kinda high and low res about halfway. This almost made me not try the AT100 head sitting next to the combos, but thank god I did.

****AND FINALLY FOLKS****

The GC salesman haggled with me forever and I got him down to $550 for a B-52 AT100 Head and Peavey XXl 4x12 cab. I know this is about 75 watts and 3 12" speakers more than I need, but I couldn't pass this crazy deal up. I repeat, I bought way too much amp.

This amp is B R 0 0 T 4 L Z!?!?!!

The first gain channel is enough. The second gain channel really puts this amp over to recto-like tones. It is true when they say this is the poor man's Mesa. The GC salesman even cranked it to 5 in the store and let me play through it. I was sold when I got people behind me throwin up the horns and headbanging to Crystal Mountain.

I just want to thank everyone again for helping me find the right amp. Only gear I need for a LONG, LONG, LONG time is an ISP Decimator. Now my playing needs to catch up to my gear. Speaking of which, I'm off to practice now.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
sweet i might have to give it a try, sounds cool. for my 1 year i brought a jackson ke3 and a korg ax3000g =)
Quote by rebelmidget
your pubes are like the amazon rainforest and your body is planet earth. trim a little here and there and your life will be more comfortable
but cut down the whole damn forest and mother nature is going to cut you

Thta a little unescesary man, are you playing a stadium or something?
Concentrate on the playing!
Wow this thread delivers, you've inspired me to review every piece of gear I touch from now on

It's my 6th minute after I touched a guitar anniversary I better go out and buy something new :P
lol i got a bigger amp for my 2 and a half years of playing aniversary. lol it was worth the wait tho
I know this might be a big favor to ask but, if you hop by a GC anytime soon can you compare the AT-100 to the AT-112? Theres no stores nearby that carry it so I cant try it out myself =(

Congrats btw
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
I know this might be a big favor to ask but, if you hop by a GC anytime soon can you compare the AT-100 to the AT-112? Theres no stores nearby that carry it so I cant try it out myself =(

Congrats btw

The AT212 and AT100 sounded the same tonewise, and I'm assuming the AT112 would sound the same too. The only difference between the 2x12 and 4x12 was the amount of bass. The 2x12 shook your teeth and the 4x12 shook your teeth, the guy next yours, the guy across the room's, the guy's waiting outside, and the people's next door. I'm assuming the 1x12 would still have the recto tone and a good, tight bottom end, but with less projection.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
The AT212 and AT100 sounded the same tonewise, and I'm assuming the AT112 would sound the same too. The only difference between the 2x12 and 4x12 was the amount of bass. The 2x12 shook your teeth and the 4x12 shook your teeth, the guy next yours, the guy across the room's, the guy's waiting outside, and the people's next door. I'm assuming the 1x12 would still have the recto tone and a good, tight bottom end, but with less projection.

The 212 is the exact same as the 100, but the 112 is different, only has 1 gain channel and no rectifier so. If you get the chance to try it out it would be appreciated
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
The 212 is the exact same as the 100, but the 112 is different, only has 1 gain channel and no rectifier so. If you get the chance to try it out it would be appreciated

actually every amp has a rectifier....
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
actually every amp has a rectifier....

Tri-Mode rectifier sorryyyyyyyy
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by CatchTheRhythm
Thta a little unescesary man, are you playing a stadium or something?
Concentrate on the playing!

A good amp wont make you any better at playing, but it will sound half decent at least. But if you good and have a crap amp, you're gonna sound crap.

You cant focus on one thing forever.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by eggo_boi_15
A good amp wont make you any better at playing, but it will sound half decent at least. But if you good and have a crap amp, you're gonna sound crap.

You cant focus on one thing forever.

My playing was effected slightly by my lack of tone. I wanted to play along with songs and couldn't even come close to matching any tone. This just frustrated me and made me stop playing sometimes.

This investment is for now and the future. I play plenty, so don't worry heheh. This just gives more incentive to thrash out.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
LOL...AWESOME.. you got a 1/2 stack ... *throwin the horns up and head banging*

1/2 stacks rule i don`t care what anyone says around here, if you got the cash go for it \m/

congrats on the new amp, sounds like you love it as much as i love my Marshall... can`t wait to upgrade to the 1960A 4X12 cab when i get the money.