I've been playing my Ibanez RG170R for 3 years now and the pickups are becoming complete mud. Any suggestions for pickup companies/models for 2 humbuckers and a single coil? I want to be able to get good clean and heavy sounds but more importantly, I want the notes to be clear, separated, and to have better sustain than what they have now. And is the fitting of the pickups an issue or are they all very similiar in size?
pickups are a standard size no matter what company makes them. Seymour Duncan makes great pickups, as does Dimarzio. If you have the clams EMG pickups are the best for what you are looking for IMO. I have two axes with EMGs, one with an 81 in the bridge and an 89 in the neck. the other has the 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck. Both have the 18v mod done on them and the clarity is great even when heavily distorted. I highly recomend them!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I'd prefer passive pickups. Not into the whole putting batteries in to play thing. How much do Dimarzio's and Duncan's usually run for?
Dimarzios and Duncans cost about 80 - 100EU were I live. Shouldn't be more than 100 - 120$ in the US. You might want the guy at the shop to put them into your guitar for you and have the pickups set up correctly, unless you know how to do it yourself. That should be another 20$ per pickup.