Well I recently got into the band Death Angel after I heard about their newest album, Killing Season.

I have been listening to them more than anything, just because I have seemed to fall into the pit of their music. The thing I enjoy the most about their music is probably...the rhythm is unique, and not just 1 power chord being playing over and over. Also, I love the lead, how it kinda overlaps the rhythm, and in some songs the rhythm just stops and the lead continues.

I recommend you hear or download these songs if you want to get the exact picture in your head of what I'm talking about:
- When Worlds Collide - this is the lead I'm talking about
- Resurrection Machine (after the softer intro (about 60 secs into it) - this is the rhythm

Problem 1:
Well I've been trying to start to write music like them, but everything I come up with sounds identical to their music because thats whats going through my head. I can't seem to come up with anything thats sounds very good.

Problem 2:
The lead. It's just impossible for me. The main problem is that I don't know where to start. If I make the rhythm first, then its hard to get a lead in there. But it's practically impossible to start off with the lead because I don't even know where what notes are. I play a note based on what I THINK it might sound like, then I just play random notes and try getting something to sound decent.

Conclusion:
Can someone give me advice on what will help me? Should I learn scales? Something else? A different tuning(I used standard)? I'm lost and frustrated...

THNX TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP
Well, for the lead, move your notes a half step up or so first. Then pick through a riff you like, and tweak it note by note.
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
Get guitar pro and write solos with the minor pentatonic scale or the minor scale. Listen to some other thrash metal bands as well. Just try to come up with riffs and eventually your song writing skill will increase.
For rhythms, tune lower and play the same riff, then tweak it here and there. Add more notes, or take some away and play it faster or slower.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Get guitar pro and write solos with the minor pentatonic scale or the minor scale. Listen to some other thrash metal bands as well. Just try to come up with riffs and eventually your song writing skill will increase.

Buts thats one of the problems, I don't understand how to write music or use scales...

Last night I pulled out my dads music book with a hige collection of scales and chords. I stated playing a minor pentatonic scale and I said, "thats nice, now how the f*ck am I supposed to make a lead out of this"

Thats almost exactly what I said if I recall
What tuning do you recommend?

Drop D? Half step down?

I've been using Standard for everything except a few RATM in Drop D, so I'm unfamiliar with anything else.
You can add bends, tremolo picking and move things up and down chromatically. That can help.

EDIT: You mentioned you were in standard, so maybe D-standard for starters?
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Zero_Mike
You can add bends, tremolo picking and move things up and down chromatically. That can help.

EDIT: You mentioned you were in standard, so maybe D-standard for starters?

I'll try doing some of those. Ya, I tremolo pick a lot, so I'll keep using doing that.

EDIT to your EDIT: I'll try using D Standard...I'll go to the tunings thread here and find that out.
A lot of times writing and improvising or anything like that simply comes with experience. After a year of me playing, I was able to physically play some songs that a friend of mine of 2 or 3 years had been playing at the level he was, but when it came to writing, he was overall much better. It wasn't a more in depth knowledge of theory or anything like that, but the more you play and the more you improvise (I'd recommend practicing this 15-30 minutes a day) you'll eventually start developing your own style of what you like, how you can make it sound that way, and how bends, tremelo, h/os and p/os, tapping, sweeping, etc. will give you the exact sound you're looking for to express what's truly going through your mind. From what I hear, you haven't quite got the experience, and you're spending too much time trying to fit into a certain niche that you found with a favorite band. Try expanding your listening. One day listen to some Stevie Ray Vaughan, the next day some AC/DC, the next day some Children of Bodom, then some Liquid Tension Experiment, and just really spread yourself out. Metal is just a distorted form of blues and jazz, so you may possibly not have the initial basics of metal down (pentatonics and vibrato and slides and stuff like that) which is all very blues related.

Scales are just a series of notes that sound good together, and learning them and getting a feel for what emotions are invoked by different scales, you'll learn how to truly utilize them to help you in writing lead and even rhythm riffs. Don't get frustrated, and make sure not to listen to only one kind of music. That's one of the most destructive things you can do (in my opinion)
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
Quote by Green RATM Day
Buts thats one of the problems, I don't understand how to write music or use scales...

Last night I pulled out my dads music book with a hige collection of scales and chords. I stated playing a minor pentatonic scale and I said, "thats nice, now how the f*ck am I supposed to make a lead out of this"

Thats almost exactly what I said if I recall

Most importantly: listen to and learn alot of music. No matter what else you do... this should be a big part of it.

Alot of writing music is just about being creative. Your 1st attempt may not be successful, but like any art, you have to work at it until you can create something you are happy with.

If you can read music, and have a good grasp on the fundamentals, you may want to look into studying music theory.

If you dont know theory though.... you still can write now. use your ears, and your own judgement as to whether something sounds good or not. dont be afraid to make mistakes or do something thats "wrong".... in the creative stage that doesnt really matter.

Eventually your knowledge will catch up and you will be able to connect it with what your doing creatively.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 13, 2008,
EDIT:.
I guess I'm gonna just play scales and get used to them, and I'll start listening to more blues and such.

Well I'm gonna go back to my amp and start playing again

Thanks again to everyone
Last edited by Green RATM Day at Mar 13, 2008,
No problem man, good luck and keep working at it.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
Quote by Green RATM Day
EDIT:.
I guess I'm gonna just play scales and get used to them, and I'll start listening to more blues and such.

Well I'm gonna go back to my amp and start playing again

Thanks again to everyone

NP Have fun !
shred is gaudy music