Fretting hand at the point where your thumb connects to your hand just before your wrist.

Its not muscle soreness, its more like a tweaking pain. Im doing alot of finger excercises on the fret board, and Im forcing myself to use proper form and thumb position.

How much pressure should my thumb be applying on the back of the neck? Forcefull or just resting there?

When I flatten my wrist the pain lessens, but when I use proper form it doesnt seem natural and starts hurting after awhile.

So, am I just being a bitch and need to man up, or should I forego proper form and do what works?
you shouldn't be pressing hard at all mate, you should be able to play everything without your thumb on the back of the fret board (but obviously its alot easier if it is)x
u should only use as much pressure as u need in order to play notes properly. Idk... try what works for u and isn't painful.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
well.. to me.. and this is just ME.... **** proper form and play how its comfortable to you and how you can get the best out of your fretting hand.

What proper form is, may be only comfortable for some people, not everyone.....

I play with my thumb just a bit off the fretboard, sometimes off completely
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
-arch your wrist
-press hard enough on the fretboard only for control
-never support any of the guitar/neck weight with your left hand
-dont over think it... get a feel for your instrument
Yeah, Im pressing too hard then.

The wrist arch is a little much as well.

When I play "comfortable" my thumb is actually sidways pointing to the headstock parallel with the neck.

Form after function then? Ok, by me.
Hm, I play with my thumb pointing towards the headstock, the only other way I know of is holding the guitar like a baseball bat.

But, you dont need much pressure. Rest your finger on a string, start plucking fairly fast and press down very slowly you'll be surprized how much pressure you actually need.
Quote by Ad90
you shouldn't be pressing hard at all mate, you should be able to play everything without your thumb on the back of the fret board (but obviously its alot easier if it is)x

thanks man, i was having the same problem and i wasn't sure if there was something wrong, or if i should just be getting used to it.

I guess it must be the way I was holding it, but I will try to adjust it so that there will be less pressure on my thumb joint :P
Quote by emericanadio182
-arch your wrist
-press hard enough on the fretboard only for control
-never support any of the guitar/neck weight with your left hand
-dont over think it... get a feel for your instrument

that helps a lot. thanks

(no sarcasm btw.. it really helps lol. i've been putting too much pressure on my left arm, making it both painful and hard to concentrate on moving my fingers around the strings and notes)