I suppose the question is a difficult one to answer, but what is the earliest recorded incidence of drop-tuning that you are aware of?

Edit: Of course, I mean dropping the low E string for a power chord, not just down-tuning or open slide-guitar style tunings.
Last edited by DeathOfBalance at Mar 13, 2008,
DADGAD. Folk Music.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Well they were probably invented long ago when guitars were.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
I think blues guitarists started with it.

Well with Drop D I think.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

I invented guitars.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
who the hell invented standard tuning? why is it standard? how many tunings did the guy who made the guitar go thru? im sure diff tunings were realized during the invention of the guitar itself.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
hahaha lol. different tunings have been around as long as guitars have, I would have thought.
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
Quote by rojomeansred
Most classical guitarists play in drop d.

or other similar tunings.
it's not a rock or blues thing though. it's been around forever.
yeah sometimes i wonder. standard tuning is obviously enough so you can reach the most different intervals easily like thirds and fifths and all, and im pretty sure the difference at the b string is for easier chording. but i think drop tunings have been around since soon after the invention of the guitar itself. most stringed instruments are either tuned open or in fifths traditionally, so the guitar may have been invented for the purpose of diversity in the form of THE ULTIMATE INSTRUMENT. what im getting at though is that drop D very well may have existed before standard tuning because people still wanted to play with consecutive fifths but also chords... of course thats about 50% speculation
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
yeah sometimes i wonder. standard tuning is obviously enough so you can reach the most different intervals easily like thirds and fifths and all, and im pretty sure the difference at the b string is for easier chording. but i think drop tunings have been around since soon after the invention of the guitar itself. most stringed instruments are either tuned open or in fifths traditionally, so the guitar may have been invented for the purpose of diversity in the form of THE ULTIMATE INSTRUMENT. what im getting at though is that drop D very well may have existed before standard tuning because people still wanted to play with consecutive fifths but also chords... of course thats about 50% speculation

I would think the piano would be the ultimate instrument.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
who the hell invented standard tuning? why is it standard? how many tunings did the guy who made the guitar go thru? im sure diff tunings were realized during the invention of the guitar itself.
for the guitar probably Antonio de Torres Jurado in the mid 1800's. As for instruments in general...I have no idea who invented the tempered tuning we have today. But it was invented around 1600's I *think*

Quote by rojomeansred
I would think the piano would be the ultimate instrument.
but...but...but...it's called Ultimate Guitar. I agree with you btw.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by Paquijón
I'm not sure... I believe guitar would come in a very close second if so. It is an incredibly versatile instrument once you stray even a little from conventional methods of playing.
this has inspired me to make a ultimate instrument? thread.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
this has inspired me to make a ultimate instrument? thread.

Pointless arguing? Sounds fun.
Scordatura has been around since before the guitar was invented. Somehow I think that drop tunings were probably invented by some players or composers of other instruments.
Quote by Avedas
Pointless arguing? Sounds fun.
Pointless arguments are what forums are all about!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by mosh_face

Not to start a stupid argument, especially considering this is a guitar forum, but I've always thought that fifths were a better way of tuning. Perfectly symmetrical, every chord shape is movable both laterally and vertically, and allows for more available notes per position. Brilliant.
John Dowland was a Renaissance composer (1500-1600's-ish) From my repertoire, those are the earliest compositions I know of that call for drop-D. (D-A-D-G-B-E) Mind you, he was also composing for lute, so the pieces were arranged later.

FWIW....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
for rock, black sabbath, tony iommi had to detune his guitar because the tips of his fingers were cut off and he couldn't push the strings or bend them when they were that tight, turns out it was heavy too
Quote by axemanchris
John Dowland was a Renaissance composer (1500-1600's-ish) From my repertoire, those are the earliest compositions I know of that call for drop-D. (D-A-D-G-B-E) Mind you, he was also composing for lute, so the pieces were arranged later.

FWIW....

CT

Werent lutes tuned (E-A-D-F#-b-e), so dropped-D lute tuning would also have the F# rather than the G?
classical guitarist do it all the time in pieces where they would need to use the low d. not at all uncommon in classical or baroque guitar music
Quote by KryptNet
for the guitar probably Antonio de Torres Jurado in the mid 1800's. As for instruments in general...I have no idea who invented the tempered tuning we have today. But it was invented around 1600's I *think*

but...but...but...it's called Ultimate Guitar. I agree with you btw.

I believe it was Bach with the Well Tempered Clavier.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by isaac_bandits
Werent lutes tuned (E-A-D-F#-b-e), so dropped-D lute tuning would also have the F# rather than the G?

The problem with lutes is that there were so many tunings - what people seemed to consider 'standard' varied from place to place and from decade to decade. Some, surely, were more pervasive than others, but with a lack of consistency (there wasn't even a consistent number of strings, for Pete's sake!), it made pedagogy difficult, and made transcriptions for lute a challenge, as the transcriptions would also have to change from place to place. Yikes!

Due to this chaos, the lute ultimately died out in favour of more 'guitar-like' creatures.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Silverwolf
Medieval mistrels

yeah back in the days when they had those guitars that looked like bowls with lids on
Quote by hb15577
yeah back in the days when they had those guitars that looked like bowls with lids on

You mean lutes, yes?

CT

Quote by DeathOfBalance
I suppose the question is a difficult one to answer, but what is the earliest recorded incidence of drop-tuning that you are aware of?

Edit: Of course, I mean dropping the low E string for a power chord, not just down-tuning or open slide-guitar style tunings.

tony iomi of black sabbath played in drop d and c#
Quote by chesta2323
tony iomi of black sabbath played in drop d and c#

But drop tuning has been around since classical guitars. Scordatura for other instruments existed before guitars were even invented.

Im also fairly certain that Iommi used C# standard as his fingers were to sensitive to handle the tension of E standard.