(my first post ^____^)

Hey guys, I've played guitar for about a year and finally got myself a proper guitar and amp (Ibanez 350DX and Peavey 112 Bandit)

I'm looking to start trying to play bass, but I'm not really sure what to buy. I've had a look around and the Ibanez GSR's seem pretty good. I've played the GSR200 but haven't tried the 190. Is there much difference?

I don't have a bass amp and I don't really wanna risk screwing up my Peavy 112 Bandit. I don't really wanna buy another bass for years so I really want this one to last long. So out of the 190 package and 200 which is more worth it, if I were to buy the 200 on it's own I'd have to buy a amp aswell.

I live in England so I'd be buying from a website called www.gak.co.uk and because I go to school I'd get it with VAT (HELL YEA). The GSR190 Package is £200 and the GSR200 is £150, so which is more worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by super_penguin at Mar 13, 2008,
i have the 190 and its good value for money
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
the only difference is the GSR190 lacks the "PhatII EQ Boost". The PhatII is this cool little knob that makes the bass sound like loud mud when turned up. I have the GSR200FM and I NEVER use the PhatII. The only thing i like about the 200 over the 190 is the FM series..... quilt top baby!

On another note, if you buy a bass separate from the amp, you will most likely get a better amp out of the deal. The ones that come in a starter are not very good.
The package is a good deal for a starter but that's really it. The bass is decent for the price; it has an alright range in tone and is very easy to play. The amp is pretty ****ty and will break in three years with minimal usage, but overall the package is worth buying if you are set on getting an Ibanez.
i used to have both
the only diference is the phat EQ
i would suggest the GSR190 unless you want that active sound in the GSR200
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Captain Insano
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the GSR200 active, and the GSR190 passive?

They both have passive pick-ups; the GRS200 has an active EQ boost. All the boost seems to do is boost the mids and the low/mids. makes the already muddy tone sound more muddy.

Both are very comfortable to play. The pups are in a comfortable spot and the neck is thin
what do u mean by sound like mud? i'm probaly gonna go for the package cos I don't rly have that much room for a bigger and better amp, and if i bought the gsr 200 on its own id have to buy gig bag, strap, amp etc.

so what does this phat eq thing do? 'make it sound like mud'
Quote by super_penguin
what do u mean by sound like mud? i'm probaly gonna go for the package cos I don't rly have that much room for a bigger and better amp, and if i bought the gsr 200 on its own id have to buy gig bag, strap, amp etc.

so what does this phat eq thing do? 'make it sound like mud'

I have the GSR190, and its a great bass, plays better than quite a few more expensive ones.

The eq thing boosts the bass and makes the sound "muddy", less clear and defined.
First off, welcome to the bass forum!

The GSR190 package is a good deal for a starter bass and amp. It will serve you well as you learn and develop some chops. What I have found in my years of playing, that sometimes playing a good starter can force you to really work your technique to get tone and when you graduate to the next bass, your technique has benefited for the extra effort.

Ibanez's are good basses and if the neck suits you, go for the package deal, esp. if economics are an issue.
Quote by anarkee
First off, welcome to the bass forum!

The GSR190 package is a good deal for a starter bass and amp. It will serve you well as you learn and develop some chops. What I have found in my years of playing, that sometimes playing a good starter can force you to really work your technique to get tone and when you graduate to the next bass, your technique has benefited for the extra effort.

Ibanez's are good basses and if the neck suits you, go for the package deal, esp. if economics are an issue.

I know exactly what you mean about the part about having to force you to work on your technique. Before I got my Ibanez I had a super duper bad condition Encore, with the smallest Marshall amp, and it basically sounded like turd. You could barely hear hammer ons, pull ons, finger tapping etc. but because I got used to pressing so hard and getting the technique right, now I can do it easily on my new guitar.

I'll be slapping alot on the bass aswell, and as Redman just asked, how is it?

Is the amp in the starter set any good? Ibanez 10B Amp with a potent 10 watts, 3 band EQ. It's a small amp yea i get that part, but I haven't tried it, and probaly won't get to try it until I actually buy it. Is it any good? I don't really know too much about basses so I'll need some help ^_____^ thanks.
First the amp. Its ok for practice but its a throwaway at some point. I'd rank it up there with the Kustom BA10, which is no great shakes. It won't take any sort of cranking abuse, but the plus side is that no one is going to complain you are playing too loud. The bass may stay, but at some point the amp will go. But its a far better option than you blowing out the speakers of a guitar amp, and amps can be upgraded at some point . I would recommend to anyone that the amp upgrade comes before your bass upgrade btw.

Ibanez SR series are decent for slapping, but its not their forte. Ibanez are great for rock, a bit of alternative and metal. I can get a solid slapping sound out of my Ibanez, but compared to say Fender Jazz or Musicman its not as thumpy. But for learning slap, it will do nicely.
Quote by Redman123
Hows the gsr190 for slapping?

not very good IMO
is not bad but is just like not the best
the sound was like too percusive in both GSR200 and GSR190

also the boost in the GSR200 is good for 8" or 10" speakers, with a 15" you do get a muddy tone
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
cheers for the help guys, seeing as the only difference is the EQ boost, i'll go for the gsr190 package to save money, even though the amp isn't that great.

thanks again

(i edited this so i wouldn't be double posting, dunno if thats not allowed but its not allowed on most forums)

i'm having second thoughts now. Like is the 200 is better in the long run, i'm not really that bothered about the amp cos il b playing in my school alot, and i'm not gonna b carrying my amp everywhere, so the 200 has the EQ boost, and is slightly better, so if I were to let's say buy the 190 now, then about after a year when i get better, is it worth it buying the 200, or should I just start with the 200? i wanna know if theres a big difference if you were a advanced player using a 190 and 200 and if u cud notice the difference. i know once i start learning bass im not gonna stop, and i don't wanna buy another bass for years

help my repition of the same question >.<
Last edited by super_penguin at Mar 15, 2008,
Trust me, you'll want to buy another bass soon. It's called GAS. It will consume you. It's largely a good thing.

The bass should be good, judging from what the other users say. There doesn't seem to be a difference large enough to warrant not getting the pack. Go for the starter pack.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it