Page 1 of 3
Personally I don't think homeschooling is a good idea.

I dislike the idea of crazy parents creating mini clones of themselves in their own image.

Kids should mix with others of their own age and learn to work with others from properly qualified teachers.
But would you take a parent's right to do that away?
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Quote by freedoms_stain

I dislike the idea of crazy parents creating mini clones of themselves in their own image.

Kids should mix with others of their own age and learn to work with others from properly qualified teachers.
Well that's too bad isn't it.
Homeschooling isn't outlawed. It just means that if you are home schooled, you have to be homeschooled by a certified teacher.
Quote by freedoms_stain

I love the idea of the government having full control over my child's education. They're much better qualified than I am to raise my own children.

Public education is a joke anyway. It isn't the government's responsibility to provide or even force education. The entire system should be privatized.
And btw, why would you believe the AUGUSTA chronicle? It's a right-winger rag from GEORGIA. Cite a reputable source and I guarantee the story will be explained better
I agree with this. Homeschooling often seems to create political or religious fanatics.

/sweeping generalisation
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by denizenz
I love the idea of the government having full control over my child's education. They're much better qualified than I am to raise my own children.

Public education is a joke anyway. It isn't the government's responsibility to provide or even force education. The entire system should be privatized.

one of the primary functions of the government is to provide education because without an educated public, our country will suffer.
That looks like one of the stupidest news sources on the planet.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by denizenz

Like your Health Care system?

I can see that going over well..."Oh sorry your parents don't make enough money per year to qualify for this basic schooling....sorry. "

Yeh, smart idea.
Quote by denizenz

I've seen documentaries about kids who grow up in racist families, they're all home-schooled and they all grow up with the same hate.

Check out Prussian Blue, they weren't warped at all.

The government doesn't control anyone's education, they just fund it.

Raising a child is not the same as educating a child. You can teach your child whatever morals you like, but let them see what else is out there and decide for themselves what is right.

Totally privatised education will mean poor kids get none.
that article loses all credibility by being too melodramatic and exaggerating all that communism bullcrap
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by denizenz

Yes, because one's ability to be educated should reflect one's family's wealth.

There is nothing wrong with this. If you aren't a certified teacher, you shouldn't ****ing teach your kids. If it's that important to you, get certified.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Doubleday
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/030808/edi_190241.shtml

WTF? What the hells wrong with homeschooling?

Heard about this a while ago. They made this law because "liberal" California wants all the kids to be schooled the way the state wants them to, essentially raise them to think like they do. They don't want to give parents the right to teach their children the way they want to.

The laws that keep coming from California really scare me. There was another law like this, also in California, that made it so the government can control your thermostat, in an effort to save energy. If this is kept up, California is going to be a 1984 nightmare, having everything under government control, from the thermostat to the mindset of the rising generation, these children being raised with a liberal education.

The irony of it all also scares me. The strict dictionary definition of "liberal" is having less government control, letting people do what they want. Instead, liberal California is beginning to restrict every aspect of life. This is not supposed to happen in the United States. The liberals are becoming even more authoritarian than the authoritarians.
Quote by denizenz

I fully agree. School has taught me absolutely nothing in comparison to what I've learned just from talking to other people and through personal research. And this **** actually stays in my head, whereas most things you learn in school evaporate almost instantaneously after the need for said information expires (e.g final examination).
Quote by denizenz

The government isn't trying to raise your children, it's trying to educate them through qualified teachers.

And 'it isn't the governments responsibility to provide education'? Who the hell else is gonna do it? I guess your government should just stop fighting wars too and let some dictator take you over, as well as no public transport or law system, just let the criminals run free. I mean, it's not the governments responsibility, right?
I'm for homeschooling. I was mostly home schooled myself. You know how it started for me? One day in 3rd grade my teacher diagnosed me with ADD and said it was time for ritalin. So my parents, being the awesome parents that they are, said 'F YOU' and pulled me out of school. My mom quit her day job and home schooled me and my brother. I've turned out fine, I'm not a clone of my parents, nor have I ever had ADD.

EDIT: I think we should adopt whatever the Chinese school system is. They really get stuff done.
We're only strays.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
Homeschooling is usually an excuse for parents to indoctrinate their children.

It's indoctrination either way. Which way do you want it? Parents or government? Public school is, more or less, just as indoctrinating as what you learn at home.

Personally I'd rather think for myself, and I'd prefer to have a public school system that is more open ended, merely prompting the questions and letting me figure out for myself. That is true education.
Quote by Archaon
I fully agree. School has taught me absolutely nothing in comparison to what I've learned just from talking to other people and through personal research. And this **** actually stays in my head, whereas most things you learn in school evaporate almost instantaneously after the need for said information expires (e.g final examination).

Well I've never learned a shred of maths, chemistry, biology, physics, literature analysis or any of a dozen other academic subject anywhere outside a learning institution.

School gives kids a look at what's out there, they can then decide if they want to go to college/uni, or get a job or whatever.
Quote by rockergurl09
It's indoctrination either way. Which way do you want it? Parents or government?

government. so then me and everyone else will be on the same playing field. with parents it's not consistent. at least gov'ts are standardized.
i know of some kids that are homeschooled, not alloud to watch tv, and since they were little have been protesting at abortion clinics. To me the parents are obviously just brainwashing there kids to have their same crack pot ideas and not allowing them to actually grow and make up their own decision about life.
Quote by rockergurl09
It's indoctrination either way. Which way do you want it? Parents or government? Public school is, more or less, just as indoctrinating as what you learn at home.

Personally I'd rather think for myself, and I'd prefer to have a public school system that is more open ended, merely prompting the questions and letting me figure out for myself. That is true education.

True say.

The opinions being contributed here are heavily influenced by the quality of the government funded education they have received, so I don't think anyone really has a right to call another an idiot unless they know what the schooling system is like in that area.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I'm for homeschooling. I was mostly home schooled myself. You know how it started for me? One day in 3rd grade my teacher diagnosed me with ADD and said it was time for ritalin. So my parents, being the awesome parents that they are, said 'F YOU' and pulled me out of school. My mom quit her day job and home schooled me and my brother. I've turned out fine, I'm not a clone of my parents, nor have I ever had ADD.

EDIT: I think we should adopt whatever the Chinese school system is. They really get stuff done.

Sounds a bit reactionary to me since a teacher has no right to diagnose anything, that'd be a doctors job.

If you had trouble paying attention in class she may have hypothesised you had ADD. But that would be your problem for not paying attention.
Quote by rockergurl09

How does public school indoctrinate anyone?

Wow, I now have knowledge in a vast array of subjects and friends.

Please help me!

I'd be interested to hear your theory as to what everyone in the public school system has been indoctrinated with so I can purge it from my personality.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Sounds a bit reactionary to me since a teacher has no right to diagnose anything, that'd be a doctors job.

If you had trouble paying attention in class she may have hypothesised you had ADD. But that would be your problem for not paying attention.

I don't know the details. Either the school or the teacher just said 'put your kid on ritalin.' So I'm just glad they didn't.
We're only strays.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
government. so then me and everyone else will be on the same playing field. with parents it's not consistent. at least gov'ts are standardized.

Don't make me go V For Vendetta on your azz.

Homeschoolers typically have higher standardized test scores. Heck, I know two in my area who scored above 2200 on the SAT. So if they are passing government-sponsored tests at a higher level than public schooled kids, shouldn't the government support them?
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Homeschooling isn't outlawed. It just means that if you are home schooled, you have to be homeschooled by a certified teacher.

tipzpoz
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I don't know the details. Either the school or the teacher just said 'put your kid on ritalin.' So I'm just glad they didn't.

Your parents don't have that right either.

You should have been taken to a doctor and diagnosed correctly then allowed to return to school ADD free with a doctors certificate to prove it.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<

Everyone on the same playing field, eh? Standardized? Do you know what you're saying? In forcibly making education standardized, that is making the government able to determine the level everyone is on. That is a potentially dangerous power for the government to wield. They could make the education excellent and produce responsible free thinking individuals or they could teach everyone at a lower level and make them loyal subservient drones. It could go either way.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Well I've never learned a shred of maths, chemistry, biology, physics, literature analysis or any of a dozen other academic subject anywhere outside a learning institution.

School gives kids a look at what's out there, they can then decide if they want to go to college/uni, or get a job or whatever.

That's a damn shame, because I've primarily taught myself most things I know, especially those that I need to know for school.

Universities have become institutions of accreditation, and hardly anything more. We pay thousands to write exams so we can get a decent job in the future. Don't get me wrong, some classes NEED to be taught by an instructor or require the availability of exclusive resources, but there are those classes which you can remain absent for the entire semester and still ace just by doing your own studying.

Profs are good aids, and some people certainly require them, but I've just found them to be a waste of money in most cases.

Highschool classes were a joke.

Maybe I'm just one of those few people that likes to read **** without being told to, but only if it interests me. I don't read many books, but I'm constantly reading articles, engaging in discussions/debates, and learning new things (stock market and investments for example) on my own. It can be taught in school, but it will not be at your pace. And it isn't that they teach too fast or too slow, I just have different methods and habits of learning.
Quote by rockergurl09
Everyone on the same playing field, eh? Standardized? Do you know what you're saying? In forcibly making education standardized, that is making the government able to determine the level everyone is on. That is a potentially dangerous power for the government to wield. They could make the education excellent and produce responsible free thinking individuals or they could teach everyone at a lower level and make them loyal subservient drones. It could go either way.

rockergurl, you're an idiot.

i'd just like to you consider the inverse of what you argue here. imagine that the government had no part in education. now how many people out of the USA do you think would get a quality education if they weren't forced to? cmon.

government-funded education has been around since the ancient greeks. an educated public is necessary to having a strong country.
Quote by dannyniceboy
i know of some kids that are homeschooled, not alloud to watch tv, and since they were little have been protesting at abortion clinics. To me the parents are obviously just brainwashing there kids to have their same crack pot ideas and not allowing them to actually grow and make up their own decision about life.

XD Not all parents do crazy stuff like that. My mother took me out of Public School at the end of 5th grade. She got tired of their crap. I might be going to Public High School next year though. I'm not brainwashed to do anything, except maybe to play loads of instruments and to Rock and Roll all day and Party every night.
Quote by freedoms_stain
How does public school indoctrinate anyone?

Wow, I now have knowledge in a vast array of subjects and friends.

Please help me!

I'd be interested to hear your theory as to what everyone in the public school system has been indoctrinated with so I can purge it from my personality.

Public schools indoctrinate kids in that they show them how to think, and how to answer questions. This kind of stuff often isn't taught at home, so the the public school system has the ability to tell kids how to think, and what mindset to have. The school also has the power to show kids what to think about past historical events, which perspective is the "right" perspective, etc.

Though the public school system makes an effort to keep things neutral, particularly concerning hot topics in politics such as race, education, foreign policy, etc, they still show them how to think, at least in an academic sense.
Quote by White_Venom1993
XD Not all parents do crazy stuff like that. My mother took me out of Public School at the end of 5th grade. She got tired of their crap. I might be going to Public High School next year though. I'm not brainwashed to do anything, except maybe to play loads of instruments and to Rock and Roll all day and Party every night.

Oh no doubt i am not against homeschooling. I was just pointing out that there are some bad sides to it. Just as there is to public schooling.

What they should ban is catholic schools. Only catholic schooling can turn an 8 year old into an athiest
homeschooling is illegal here so I know little about it...but its probably a good thing for your kids...how else are they gonna make friends
Quote by freedoms_stain
Your parents don't have that right either.

You should have been taken to a doctor and diagnosed correctly then allowed to return to school ADD free with a doctors certificate to prove it.

Dude you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Sorry I ever disagreed with you, I hope you can get over it.

I don't believe in standardized education. I think everyone is very different and has their own talents that others do not. To put a kid through school for their entire childhood and young adult life that literally (I feel) suppresses and/or discourages those individual attributes and qualities is just wrong. Its quite a crime. I mean I definitely believe in academics. I think the whole of America (and maybe other countries to, I dunno) greatly lacks intellectualism and critical thought. But I think that after learning essential subjects like math and English, people should have much more freedom about what they want to learn about. Almost like an early college.
We're only strays.
Page 1 of 3