I just came across this:

Click

Could this improve the sound in my Marshall MG50? And please don't say stuff like save up for a new amp or something.

Thanks
No. That's a preamp designed for running straight into a PA. It's possible that it might add a touch of warmth to the guitar signal, but the digital preamp in your MG is going to kill virtually all of that. If you want to look into something that will help with the tone, find a good rackmount guitar preamp and run it into the effects loop return on your amp. You'll still be dealing with the solid state power amp, but you'll essentially be able to replace the stock digital preamp with something vastly superior.

Look into things like the Tech21 SansAmp PSA1.1 (solid state, but all analog and midi capable) or the Soldano SP-77 (excellent tube preamp that's fairly inexpensive on the used market).

If you go with a rackmount tube preamp, you can later look at a rackmount tube power amp. The Peavey Classic series power amps are excellent and inexpensive on the used market.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
So I can't use that in the effects loop? What about this?

A rackmount tube preamp is a bit out of my price range since I am on a very low budget.
If there is a good affordable tube preamp out there, please let me know

Thanks
Quote by johnhud
I just came across this:

Click

Could this improve the sound in my Marshall MG50? And please don't say stuff like save up for a new amp or something.

Thanks

Any tube preamp will make very little difference to the sound of your MG. If you want tube sound you need a tube preamp and power amp. The reason tube preamps will make little difference is the digital nature of the MG series. Realistically if you want tube tone you need a tube amp. Buying anything for your MG would be a waste of money.
Most "tube" preamps are just gimmicks. They don't actually use enough voltage to properly drive the tube. A lot of them don't get the tubes glowing at all and others use leds to light up the tubes. If it's not using several hundred volts (a lot of these jokes even run off of a 9v or 12v adaptor) it's not going to sound like a real preamp tube. Now I don't know personally about the ART unit, but I'd sure stear away from any stomp boxes that have "real tubes" in them.
Its hard to get true tube sound out of a modeling amp with a small budget. Just live with what you got for a while and put this small budget away to save up for a tube combo. Other than that you will end up with a pile of pedals chasing a tone you wont be able to get. And dullsilver is right tubes need alot of voltage to operate. So the little tube stomp boxes dont do much just cost more.
Quote by Tackleberry
Its hard to get true tube sound out of a modeling amp with a small budget. Just live with what you got for a while and put this small budget away to save up for a tube combo. Other than that you will end up with a pile of pedals chasing a tone you wont be able to get. And dullsilver is right tubes need alot of voltage to operate. So the little tube stomp boxes dont do much just cost more.

+1. Sorry, TS.
You can get some good tones out of the low voltage preamps. The Hafler in that video is low voltage. And I have Nady TD-1 low voltage tube distortion pedal that sounds great. The Art is not designed to handle distortion. It's solely a clean preamp.