I was recently in a situation where the power went out at a friends house, where a bunch of us were hanging out. Everyone was just singing songs for no apparent reason at all (probably because we were just previously playing Rock Band). Anyway, someone had a guitar and they gave it to me to play. When everyone was firing off suggestions, I realize, I really don't know that many popular covers. The music I listen and know how to play no no one seemed to know (and for reason as it's not always popular stuff), and the only song I could play the entirety of that they knew was a Weezer song (some how no one knew the words to Message in a Bottle, or Why Georgia, to other ones I could remember on the spot). Can anyone suggest a bunch of popular songs people know the words to that I could put in my bag of tricks for just such an occasion? I was thinking Wonderwall, Barely Breathing, maybe a Dave Matthews Band song, etc. Also, they must be in standard tuning since I don't want to change tuniing for each song.
May I suggest some Beatles songs? And some Bob Marley? (everyone knows Jammin' and Redeption Song)
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles should be well known, and quite easy to pick up on.
Seven Bridges Road (Live) by The Eagles, if you can find a few people to harmonize with :P
It obviously depends on the crowd, but id say that these songs a fairly universally known:

Counting Crows - Mr. Jones
Sublime - What I got
Matchbox 20 - Unwell, Push
Jack Johnson - Taylor, Flake
Ben Harper - Steal my Kisses
Fuel - Shimmer
Incubus - Drive
Nickelback - Someday
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
RHCP - Californaication, Scar Tissue, Under the Bridge
Quote by tom183
It obviously depends on the crowd, but id say that these songs a fairly universally known:

Counting Crows - Mr. Jones
Sublime - What I got
Matchbox 20 - Unwell, Push
Jack Johnson - Taylor, Flake
Ben Harper - Steal my Kisses
Fuel - Shimmer
Incubus - Drive
Nickelback - Someday
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
RHCP - Californaication, Scar Tissue, Under the Bridge

Good list! I don't know the Jack Johnson songs though...
Free Fallin' - Tom Petty
Down on the Corner - CCR
Sweet Home Alabama - Skynrd

Everybody in the world at least knows the chorus to Sweet Home Alabama. They should be shot if they don't.