Hi Dudes !
I know the title is very weird, maybe it´s a stupid question,but ok.
When I would master legato to 100%. Would I´am be able then to learn alternate picking and sweep picking licks faster?
Of course Iam not a complete legato noob, I can do tapping and some legato with a little help of my right hand and Iam able to do 16th at 200 BPM with alternate picking.

Greets 40BPM
Well it depends on the lick you're trying to play. If it doesn't involve any legato then obviously it won't make any difference. Also, you can never 'master' a guitar technique 100%.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
No your left hand legato technique will not help your right hand alternate picking or right hand sweep technique. But it should aid a little in learning your left hand arpeggio technique. But if your doing16ths at 200bpm you don't need much help in alternate picking.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
While I personally prefer to use legato for the sound and feel it creates a lot of people use it purely because they can throw an extra note in with their left hand, which is helpful because the technique in the right hand often falls behind.

Legato is helpful if you want to learn legato, not if you want to play as fast as possible.
i use legato because i play it fast enough that you can't really tell its legato, it just makes my notes sound more pronounced and full. but like someone else said you can't ever learn a technique 100%. wait till you hit 16ths at 220 +, thats when it starts getting insane.
someone else said it... but I'll repeat it...

Left hand technique does not help right hand technique...

good playing is about being able to synchronize both hands...

of course, theres lots of players who just use legato... but its stale.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Quote by `NeXxuS`
someone else said it... but I'll repeat it...

Left hand technique does not help right hand technique...

of course, theres lots of players who just use legato... but its stale.

+1
If you can play 16ths at 200bpm with your left hand, and 16ths at 200bpm with your right hand but can't do them both in sync, it's worth sh!t.
Quote by Eirien
+1
If you can play 16ths at 200bpm with your left hand, and 16ths at 200bpm with your right hand but can't do them both in sync, it's worth sh!t.
damn my right hand, it can never keep up with my left. I should shoot it.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Keeping up the technique in your right hand is difficult because your left hand seems to be behind until you reach a certain point, this is the point when your left hand is suddenly faster than your brain seems to be working.

With the right hand there are far fewer techniques to practise, plus everybody seems to focus on getting their left hand up to speed. Even the best players use their left hand twice as much as their right, or so it seems to me.
I dunno about that.. theres plenty of technique with the picking hand.

Economy picking.
Sweep picking.
Alternate picking.
Really fast down-picking.
String Skipping picking (which has all sorts of variations).
note articulation.
Pinch Harmonics.
Two Hand Tapping.
Harp Harmonics.
Double Picking.

Theres probably scads more, it took me about a minute to think of those...

most good players I've watched have maybe 2-3 of those techniques practiced.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Though honestly everything followed by the word 'picking' requires very little practise considering you'll be doing it while practising other techniques anyway.
actually my right hand moves a bit faster than my left hand. i guess im the odd man out on this one (though i actually have more control over my left hand since im left handed and play a righty)
Does it just move faster or is there more precision in your right hand?

This might be an odd one out because of the switch that hasn't been done there. Left handed on a right handed guitar is bound to be a little different.
Quote by `NeXxuS`

good playing is about alot more than that.

but your right working on legato wont make you better at alternate picking.

Legato is a certain way to articulate on the guitar.... so is picking.... so is muting, and sliding.... and so on.

Working on one wont make you good at all of them. I think thats the answer to the TS's question
shred is gaudy music