Hey,
I am for sure getting an attenuator soon, to get the full potential of my peavey classic 50. Anyways, I just have a few questions (i'm still semi-new to tube amps).

What is the main difference between power and preamp tube overdrive? I know how you get each, but what is the main difference in sound? Could you give me an example of a song (just name one) with alot of power tube overdrive, and one with alot of preamp overdrive?
The general opinion on this forum is Power>Preamp OD, I just wanted to know what the main difference is.

I have a Peavey Classic with EL84 power tubes, just so you know. I know that amps with different tubes sound different when cranked.

Thank you much!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I believe classic rock and such often uses poweramp distortion, while metal uses preamp distortion. That's about as much as I can help you (and I'm not sure about that either).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^I knew that. I've done some research, and EL84 amps like mine, when cranked, have a chimey, treblier drive. Still not 100% how this is different from preamp overdrive.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Basically, when you turn up the gain knob. You're using pre-amp distortion. Power amp overdrive is when the tubes are worked hard (from loud volume) and overdrive naturally. Most artists use a combination of both. SRV only used power amp overdrive I think though.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
^Oh. I knew that the gain knob (labled pre on my amp) adds preamp overdrive, and I know that you have to crank the clean channel and master volume to get power tube overdrive.
Could someone just give me a quick description of the tonality difference?
Thanks
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
SRV used two (yes, two) tubescreamers in conjunction with each other. I believe that adds preamp distortion?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Powertube: Face Yourself (Misery Signals uses ALOT of powertube distortion)

Preamp: Older Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, etc.

Keep in mind that every amps sounds different, and this applies to pre vs. power tube distortion
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Oh. I knew that the gain knob (labled pre on my amp) adds preamp overdrive, and I know that you have to crank the clean channel and master volume to get power tube overdrive.
Thanks

Preamp distortion usually will sound more distortion-y I guess, hard to explain. Like more gainy.

Poweramp distortion is hard to explain, but you'll know it when you get it. It adds the thickness to the sound that I really can't explain. Just listen to Face Yourself by Misery Signals and you'll hear it
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'll probably need an attenuator for my Classic 50 sometime down the road.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
All right, that makes some sense.
I'll go listen to that song now.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah in the part where everything but the two guitars and vocals cut out and the guitars are alternating the same riff back and forth, the guitar on the right side is a perfect example of powertube distortion

Its a Dual Rectifier
Quote by darkarbiter7
Thanks

Power tube distortion is just deeper, more dynamic (punchier), & smoother sounding than pre-amp distortion. Less of the fizz associated with "high gain".
Listen to the clear, well-articulated punch of any of the first few Van Halen records, or any AC/DC cuts.
THAT's power amp distortion!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011