So Jaco's Bass of Doom has finally turned up. I'm not going to copy the entire article into this thread, so go out and buy the copy of Bass Player with Randy Jackson on the cover (the new one) and read up so you can let me know how awesome you think it is. Someone has put a new figured maple top on it, and it certainly looks beautiful for being so old. This is something huge in the bass world, so let's all discuss it.
Go to the bookstore and buy a Bass Player you cheap sonofa......

No seriously, just google it. It's on Talkbass, and several other bass forums already.
Oh ****...

This issue is the LAST of my subscription... I can't wait for it...

EDIT: A bit skeptical (believe it or not):

The dude says:

"Ingrid and Al,

Its for real..very real.
Ingrid you actually know me and have we met me and spoken via email over the years.
We'll when the story breaks I'll email ya to say hi!!
Just so it doesnt drive you nuts who I am.
Like you I got the info from the one of the sources at the center of the story.
I have heard about the bass and have seen photos of it taken at a gathering of know players who examined and played it.
Its in its exact condition as when JP has it last.
The bass never left NYC.

Hold tight because the story will officially break soon.

My personal feeling I that is should go to Felix. period. No explanation needed.

On a unrelated not, I saw the bass from several feet away in 1985 at the Guild-Hartke demo. Yes, I was there in the third row.

It was in its original state except for some purple spray paint that was sprayed on in different spots.
Jaco did not play this bass at the demo. It stayed in the stand all night. "

Now, Jaco's tech Kaufmann totally redid the bass. Totally. He said he got it from Jaco asking for a setup, but it arrived in a square box (never a good sign). He said the body was smashed into pieces, and was painted purple. The dude glued back the body together and covered the thing with figured maple. It says "Refinished by ____ Kaufmann *insert date here*" at the neck joint.

Now, the guy with the info says he saw the bass in it's original shape with some purple paint - meaning this was BEFORE Jaco sent it in (which is true - I believe it was '86).

Now, this could all be possible, but I inferred from the way he worded it that the bass in question is in the state he saw it last in. I found it very suspicious that he didn't mention that it looks completely different.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 13, 2008,
unbelievable. The freaking holy grail. Now they need to find Jamerson's '62 P-bass!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
If the pics are from a magazine you better watch out. DTMT can smell copyright infrigement from a country mile away and he takes no mercy!

Its probably best not to scan them in, just in case. Feel free to draw us it on paint tho

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
If the pics are from a magazine you better watch out. DTMT can smell copyright infrigement from a country mile away and he takes no mercy!

Its probably best not to scan them in, just in case. Feel free to draw us it on paint tho

you're kidding me, right? i'm pretty sure they won't care if someone posted a page of their magazine on a bass guitar forum on the internet.. well they might care but there's nothing they can do about it. well atleast i think so because i've never heard of such a thing happening. what are they gonna do? send the cops to your house? i don't think so..
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Quote by -zj*
you're kidding me, right? i'm pretty sure they won't care if someone posted a page of their magazine on a bass guitar forum on the internet.. well they might care but there's nothing they can do about it. well atleast i think so because i've never heard of such a thing happening. what are they gonna do? send the cops to your house? i don't think so..

DTMT won't go after the individual, they'll go after UG for not monitoring the forum, and UG will slap the paws of whom ever got them into trouble... so post up of you want a vacation.
Jaco just nicknamed it that. He liked to say "you're dead" and stuff like that when describing his stuff that he thought would impress people. I guess the Bass of Doom is the one he did all that stuff on.

But there is only the one Bass of Doom. The fretless.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by -zj*

I guess youre not like a proper regular so you wont have understood my joke.

I was refering to an incident where Dan banned Applehead for posting copyrighted material.

*sighs* I should just not bother trying to make funnys.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
I guess youre not like a proper regular so you wont have understood my joke.

I was refering to an incident where Dan banned Applehead for posting copyrighted material.

*sighs* I should just not bother trying to make funnys.

lol i do remember that actually.. totally forgot
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Quote by justpucky
DTMT won't go after the individual, they'll go after UG for not monitoring the forum, and UG will slap the paws of whom ever got them into trouble... so post up of you want a vacation.

Not exactly the way I would have put it, but yes you are correct. The avenging lawyers are quite the testy bunch as is the RIAA. I dealt with the legal team at "The Bunny" (Time Warner) at work and lets just put it this way, the angel of death will probably be more inclined to give you a break than their legal team.

Copywrited material = money. And money drives the industry.

So for the health and safety of UG, sometimes the mods have to make unpopular choices. Plus in this particular case, chances are that Bass Player will put up the article on their site soon after the mag hits the stands, so its going to only be a google search away in a matter of weeks, if not days.
Someone in a forum mentionned that fact this article appears the April edition. May very well be a great April Fool's Joke. Let's hope not though!
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Someone in a forum mentionned that fact this article appears the April edition. May very well be a great April Fool's Joke. Let's hope not though!

That would be a mean ass joke.

Wouldn't that be illegal though? Unless there is a disclaimer.
There is no law that says journalists can't lie.

they can say anything they want without getting in any trouble with the government.
Quote by IndianRockStar
That would be a mean ass joke.

But funny as hell! If it does turn out to be a hoax, I can see the Bass Player editors going through the various bass forums and having a good ol' giggle. Of course, I'd rather see a special piece of bass history returned to the public eye.
Quote by Zar938
There is no law that says journalists can't lie.

they can say anything they want without getting in any trouble with the government.

Unless it causes financial loss to the party that they're lying about. Then the victim could sue for damages, it certainly an offence in this country, maybe not in the US.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by shut_up_you_***

Yeah, but the posts on Ingrid's site aren't from the future.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, but the posts on Ingrid's site aren't from the future.

Yes... but magazines often release their next month's issue towards the end of the previous month and send out subscriptions earlier than they get to the shops. The first post in this thread indicates one subscriber received his April edition on the 13th March.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1909080/page/1#Post1909080

Anyways... found this quote on that thread.

It's the real BOD. Whether or not the extensive restoration diminishes the mojo is arguable, but it is, according to those who would know, the real thing.

The story says it all. Anyway, just want to confirm it is not an April Fools joke.

Jonathan Herrera
Senior Editor
Bass Player Magazine
Well there you go. But, what I was saying is that the original thread posts that started this story were already made - i.e. the story itself is not a hoax (which is confirmed).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Its not a hoax--I have the new issue of Bass Player. The article isn't lengthy and really touches more on what's been changed and how it plays, and the reaction of three bass players to the find and the bass itself. (Victor Wooten, Will Lee and Victor Bailey are the bassists btw). I would have loved to hear more about the mystery of where it was and why its come forward. But according to the article, there's legal issues involved, and until they are resolved, they can't talk about that aspect as of yet.

And it looks completely different in its restored state.
Anyone want to refresh me of how it got lost? I think i was too young when it happened to remember :[ Or i never knew

Anyway, does the article show the bass?
EDIT: Stupid question, lol
How the actual bass got LOST, or the story behind it's restoration?

Anyway, rumour has it that Jaco just lost it in Central Park when he was slumming there.

He could have given it to someone, too. There's a story in his book about Jaco living on the streets of New York, always carrying some gear. A good friend saw him and gave him a few dollars, and Jaco gave him his strap. That kinda thing could have happened with his actual bass.

EDIT: If Jon Herrera got to play that bass, I'm going to be mad. I don't like him. He's full of book smarts but makes some dumb claims and does things when showing/reviewing gear that I hate.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 19, 2008,
I liked Victor Bailey's quote about the bass not being anything other than a nice fretless Fender, but what's fascinating is what the man behind the bass did with it. Or something along those lines.
Quote by anarkee
Fitz, it was Chris Jisi who wrote the article and played "the Bass of Doom".

Ah. Jisi's from New York, inntee? That makes sense.

As long as Jon Hererra didn't get to put both pickups on full, roll back the tone, and play with a flat EQ...
Quote by Cody_Grey102