Hi
When I do an open palm mute on my guitar ( seven string RG7321), it sounds fine. However if i do it on like a power chord, it sounds horrible. just a noise. and its the same if i just PM a fret in general, just doesnt sound good. i use a marshall G80R CD amp, and i kind of think it could be that, cuz it happened with my other guitar too (but that guitar is a piece of **** so it could have just been cuz of that lol.). Or it could be the pickups? but my guitar is new so....
I just wanna know what the problem is so i can fix whatever it is. i like playing heavy palmmutes but it sounds like crap on my amp =/.
Another thing, when i solo, i can hear the sound of my picking coming through on my amp. again could this be my amp or pickups?
Thanks, hope anyone can help.
X
When you are trying to mute are your other three fingers on your picking hand curled up almost like a fist or do they stay straight (sort of pointing to the ground).
I find that if I leave the fingers straight out it allows the back edge of my palm to rest across the bridge better. Try that and see how it works
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Keep your palm close to your bridge, and if it's not your technique then perhaps try turning down the gain of your amplifier a bit. Because with my amp if I have my gain completely open I can like almost talk trough my pickups.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4