which one is best for a creamy drive? how good are the behringers ?
Last edited by The Masterplan at Mar 13, 2008,
I would say the Bad Monkey. Much sweeter than the behringer.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I've owned a lot of behringer pedals, and most of them have already broken from regular, non-vigerous use. I am waiting for the others to break in due time. Don't buy behringer pedals.

but what about the sound ?
i would say avoid behringer, they dont have a good track record with reliablility. and ive been told they arent great sound wise. ive never heard of the BO100, so id probably pass on that one as well. i mean it could be nice, but id be more willing to spring for something ive heard of. so that leaves the bad monkey, which is supposed to be a nice clone of a tubescreamer. it sounds pretty damn nice, and is great for the price. so thats what i would go for.
Quote by The Masterplan
but what about the sound ?

They sound pretty darn good for the price (a lot like boss--they do color the tone even when off) except for th distortion and OD pedals I've tried, they all sound like garbage. Seriously what's the point of a good sounding pedal if it's going to break in 6 months anyway?

Just pay double or triple the price and get a pedal that won't ever break, not to mention one you can actually sell for real money if you want to get rid of it. after a year or two you've already gotten back your investment because you haven't had to buy 2 or 3 behringer pedals.

The bad monkey isn't even twice the price of the behringer, just buy it.
I actually liked the sound of the TO800 on a few youtube videos i've seen.
But, it'd be safer to go with the BM
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
None of mine broke from actual usage, the electronics just stopped working, they tend to stop powering up. The input jacks will also break easily because they are cheap flimsy plastic, if you accidentally step on the patch cable going into one you can easily snap the jacks. I repaired a broken jack on one of mine, and then a few months later it stopped powering up anyway. Behringer faders (like on their eqs) will break easily too, I've had this happen on some behringer rack gear.

Also, that *first video is obviously a joke; he doesn't put that thing through any kind of vigerous testing. You can't stand on something for 30seconds and declare it tough, how about clicking it on and off several thousand times to simulate a few months of gigging and practice? How about stomping on the knobs to simulate a real playing environment where you're in the dark and a little drunk

edit* the second video I like

edit** and for the record my tremelo is somehow still working even though it's one of the first that I bought... and I absolutely love the way it sounds.
Quote by iamtompublic
Behringer pedals are strong and won't break.

I have had 3 behringer pedals and none have broken, 2 I have had for almost a year.

But get the Monkey.

how long have you had the 3rd one? 'almost a year' is no time at all really.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

Also, that *first video is obviously a joke; he doesn't put that thing through any kind of vigerous testing. You can't stand on something for 30seconds and declare it tough, how about clicking it on and off several thousand times to simulate a few months of gigging and practice? How about stomping on the knobs to simulate a real playing environment where you're in the dark and a little drunk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmS69mn8MHE&feature=related

Thats the amount of weight he was putting on it lol. He must be at least 250 pounds
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
EVERY behringer i have ever encountered has been utter bullsh*t so i defiantly recommend you get the digitech bad monkey, it'll probably cost more but it will definatly be worth it
Quote by iamtompublic
Yeah lets do the maths...

Gig or practice every week with 5 plus presses of the pedal = 260 stomps

Plus practice in the week = 10 stomps a week

Total 780+ stomps so far on the two, plus being thrown around in my gig bag.

Yep that's one weak pedal.

Behringer modulation pedals are good, but people are snobs.

If it's the OD/Dist pedals I would agree.

Otherwise Behringer pedals are good.

that seems like a large number but it's not really. my old rp50 must get more than that and it's lasted about 3 years.

I play every day (except for when I'm away on holiday, but I've owned the pedal for more than 3 years). every time I play I use the tuner (pressing and holding both pedals down)

365 * 3=1095 presses.

then take into account the switching of presets and the times I want to bypas the pedal. I used to use a ton of the presets but now I only really use one or 2. So lets average it out at 3 switches per playing session.

3*1095 playing sessions= 3285 presses.

add the tuner pedal presses

4380 presses.

And I wouldn't call it the most durable pedal ever.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Mar 13, 2008,
hey it's not a crock, I have owned a lot of behringer pedals, like the tone (except on the distortion modeling ones I have), but they break, not from the cheap plastic, not from the pedal, they stop powering up on battery or ac adaptor after a while, it has happened with these pedals: a limiter, chorus, digital reverb, guitar DI, accoustic guitar DI. I still own a working distortion modeler, bass DI, and tremelo pedal that are all behringer.

Now accuse me of bias all you want, but I've been using these pedals lightly, in non gigging situations for several years. They eventually give up the ghost. It's not from abuse, not from improper power supply, or anything else, they all just eventually die. I do like the modulation tones the chorus, and especially the tremelo give, I like the digital reverb too, but what good are they if they break within a year or so?

This is my personal experience, obviously I own a lot of behringer gear (I also own several amps and some rack gear) and I'm not a snob. But behringer does produce unreliable quality products. They have great features and great sound for the price, but they break. I also have a carefully handled mixer and rack eq that are not in good shape because of the same reliability issues. I'm convinced that's the nature of the behringer beast, defend them all you like, I no longer trust the reliability of their products.
Quote by iamtompublic
Ok.

Your RP50 isn't broken, I've never encountered someone with a broken Behringer pedal.

Honestly its a crock of ****, people are snobs and don't like Behringer because they do decent pedals, on the cheap, and they actually are fine being made of plastic.

If someone is breaking plastic by stomping on a pedal, they are stomping way to hard.

I have. the guitarist in my drummers other band used to go through a distortion pedal into the PA and his broke every couple of months. keep in mind that his was constantly on so he wasn't stomping on it all that much. The electronics broke every time. the plastic itself didn't break. He keeps buying them because he likes the tone he gets. but the reliability isn't great.

Quote by element4433