Page 1 of 2
Hello there guys!

I'm getting my Fender American Series Stratocaster next week (sunburst with maple neck, beautiful ), and I've already begun thinking of what overdrive pedal to buy/build, to get a really nice bluesy sound (like SRV, Hendrix, Clapton...).

So, my candidates would be:
- Ibanez Tubescreamer (probably I couldn't afford a new one, so I would ask my
friend to build one for me )
- Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
- Marshall Blues Breaker BB-2 (or the BB-1)
- Digitech Bad Monkey (I heard good things about it)

So, which one would be the best out of them? Or can you recommend any other?

My amp is a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60, which has a really nice clean channel, so please don't tell me to buy a tube amp instead (anyway, I'm a bit broke now because of the guitar).
Some time later, I would eventually buy a good tube amp, so I need such a pedal, that I will be able to use with my "future-tubeamp" .

Please reply. Thanks.
The blues driver is really nice, but if you want a SRV style sound go with the tubescreamer.

Personally, I play my blues with fuzz, like a muff, but if you want that classic sound go with the TS
Tubescreamers FTW.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I've heard great things about the TS. Def give them a shot. Otherwise, the only one that appeals remotely to me from that list is the Bluesbreaker. Most people can't get a decent tone out of them, but somehow I do though it does take a lot of tweaking from guitar and amp. It always helps if you have a decent amp...
Tubescreamers just have this certain something which is crucial to my tone.
I like TS pedals (and their clones) alot more than alot of other OD's.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, if you like the blues, you'll definitely end up having some sort of tubescreamer sooner or later...
Thanks for the replies. So I guess, I'd better go with the Tubescreamer.
But which one? Ibanez? Maxon? Are they the same?
If Ibanez, which? TS-5, TS-7, TS-808, TS-9, TS-909? Which is the REAL one?
Alot of people here swear by maxons, but I prefer modded TS808's. Not 100% sure what the "real" one is.
Actually, it's very cost effective to get a TS7, then mod it to TS808 specs, then you can mod it from there.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
tubescreamers are great, so are bd-2's - i've got them both. i don't know much about the other two, but i have heard great things about them. you certainly picked a great four to choose from.

my 2 cents:

to nail a real gritty and pleasantly hairy tone, go with the tubescreamer. as someone above mentioned, if you like blues, you ARE going to end up with a tubescreamer anyway.

the original tubescreamers were made my maxon and distributed by ibanez, way back in the 70's. the first version was the ts 808, which SRV got hooked on. the next step, the 9 series pedals, introduced the ts 9.

nowadays, you can get MANY many variations and clones. a little google searching will fill you in. the ts 808 and ts 9 have been reissued by ibanez due to it being so damn popular. i have a ts 9 reissue, and i love it. like i said above, it's got real grit and a pleasant hairy bite to it - the stuff of blues.

the bd-2 imo, is also an extremely well designed pedal. if you're like me, as time goes on, you're gonna want to try them all basically. the strengths i find in the bd-2 is that it's extremely transparent and has incredible picking dynamics (how hard or soft you pick will have an effect on the sound). if you're looking for a somewhat higher frequency overdrive, the bd-2 has an electric bite once you crank up the gain and tone.

with all that said, go with an ibanez ts 9 reissue - it's reasonably priced and performs great.
Last edited by JG. at Mar 13, 2008,
since you may be concerned with cost.....the Bad monkey is cheap.
I bought a barely used one for $25 a couple of weeks ago.

Get the Bad monkey or TS. They are great. I used to just use my TS as a regualr pedal, until I found out other ways to use it.

Now, I keep the TS on all the time. With the gain set at zero, and level at 5. Really makes ther overall tne sound better. Also can be used as a boost for solos.

Actually, you need this pedal. Probably the only pedal that every player shoud have.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
What's the real difference between the TS808 and the TS9? The TS9's are way cheaper....

the cicuitry. For most of us, we cant tell the audible difference. Even most ppl that claim they can are full of ****.

The Bad monkey is even cheaper
Sounds like you got a nice guitar now buy a nice pedal. The tone pump is what I use for vaughn and clapton and a lot of other sounds for the blues. It has two channels and is one of the best 808 circuits out there. Barbers stuff is stellar but your going to pay $225.00 plus for one. But you'll wonder why you never had one before.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by hansolo1106
Thanks for the replies. So I guess, I'd better go with the Tubescreamer.
But which one? Ibanez? Maxon? Are they the same?
If Ibanez, which? TS-5, TS-7, TS-808, TS-9, TS-909? Which is the REAL one?

Maxon is the real one. They were the company that made them for Ibanez. Remember, Ibanez is just a marketing name......there is no Ibanez factory. They contract out companies to make every single product they market.

Their deal ended a few years ago, but even before that you could still buy a Maxon, just very hard to find, and nobody cared, bc Ibanez dominted the market.
Its only in the past 5 years that you see guys with Maxon pedals. Ans they are really expensive......way more than any other competitor.

There is a good wiki that will answer all your specific questions about the diff, TS-models. The TS 808, is the original. But, teh TS-9 is generally accpeted as te standard. Threre are however products, nowadays, that beat Ibanez and Maxon. BBE makes a green box that is way more affordalbe than the Maxon, an apparently just as good, sonically. I have both thte TS-9 and the Bad Monkey. I prefer the Bad Monkey.
I think my modded TS7 (100 bucks) kills the TS808 and TS9 at my local store. I actually tried them side by side.
I've heard good things about the BBE greenscreamer. True bypass also.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
What's the real difference between the TS808 and the TS9? The TS9's are way cheaper....

2 resistors....

EDIT: I'd like to add, that when i used to have a SS, i liked my blues driver through it. Those were my days before good tone, though.

A tubescreamer is almost always a good bet. I'd either get a ts9 or ts7 and mod it to 808 specs, or build one.

Here's one worth trying: http://buildyourownclone.com/overdrive.html
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
So, what would people recommend overall?

The BBE, the Bad Money, the TS9, the TS7, or the TS808?

The Bad Monkey is "fatter" and vastly more versatile than the Tube Screamer. It's really a matter of preference, but I really don't see how anyone could prefer the Tube Screamer over the Bad Monkey unless you absolutely need the latter's characteristic mid hump.

Honestly, the Tube Screamer is overpriced for its worth.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 14, 2008,
Bad Monkey hands down, for starters it's half/3rd the cost of most tube screamers (and clones) and it sounds better then most of them.
Ibanez SZ 320MH >> Vox V487 >> Barber LTD >> MI Audio Neo-Fuzz >> Peavey Bandit 112
All depends.
I really don't like the traditional tubescreamer sound. I had mine modded to have a smooth drive and alot of low end. All the stock ones are kind of thin.
But, I say TS over BM. Although it's great, I wasn't a huge fan of the bad monkey.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Archeo Avis
The Bad Monkey is "fatter" and vastly more versatile than the Tube Screamer. It's really a matter of preference, but I really don't see how anyone could prefer the Tube Screamer over the Bad Monkey unless you absolutely need the latter's characteristic mid hump.

Honestly, the Tube Screamer is overpriced for its worth.

Hmm. It's kind of annoying because there's no guitar shop near me that stocks digitech and ibanez.

And some people are saying TS, some Bad Monkey.

If I was to go with a TS, then which one would be best?
The Bad Monkey is, In My Opinion, a joke. The TS-808 blows it out of the water, or the Maxon808.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
The Bad Monkey is, In My Opinion, a joke. The TS-808 blows it out of the water, or the Maxon808.

I like how you don't actually back up your criticism at all.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^It would only cost as much as a couple of resistors and maybe an $8 soldering iron if you don't already have one.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Archeo Avis
I like how you don't actually back up your criticism at all.

And you said:

"The Bad Monkey is "fatter" and vastly more versatile than the Tube Screamer. It's really a matter of preference, but I really don't see how anyone could prefer the Tube Screamer over the Bad Monkey unless you absolutely need the latter's characteristic mid hump.

Honestly, the Tube Screamer is overpriced for its worth."

So, you contradict yourself, as you say it's a matter of preference, and as I clearly stated mine, you are saying I don't back up my criticism? It's my opinion, so all you have proved to us here is that you're an idiot. You state the TS is overpriced, it isn't. It's cheap for a good OD pedal. And the "mid hump" is what makes the TS sound oh so sweet, while the Bad Monkey is a cheap OD that I don't like. It sounds thin and doesn't push your OD into a nice territory, it more or less sucks your tone dry and gives it a sissy drive.

There's some backing for you, you stupid knob.
High as tits
the axl version is very good and very cost effective
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
If I was to get a TS7, how much would it cost to mod it to TS808?

Not much at all. Not sure of the exact cost.
My TS7 (modded to TS808 specs, then modded from there) was 90 bucks after the guy did the work. He claimed that he threw in the work basically for free since he's building his "company" up. But, he did some radical mods. Like, he essentially swapped out every single part which could be changed. Plus, he reconditioned it, whatever that means, so it clips all the frequencies instead of just clipping the mids and treble in traditional TS fashion. I couldn't imagine my rig without it.
But, having a TS7 modded yourself to TS808 specs won't cost anywhere near 90 bucks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Want a tube screamer for 15 dollars instead of 100-200? buy the behringer TO800, its the exact copy of a TS808 with those maxon OPamps that people rave about and without the marketing bullsh*t to honk up the price. only con is the plastic casing, which, seems, can handle some beating after all http://youtube.com/watch?v=0QL-6eTHSHQ
the sound difference between the behringer and the original pedal: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=551106 is it a 100 dollar difference? i think not
"The Bad Monkey is "fatter" and vastly more versatile than the Tube Screamer. It's really a matter of preference, but I really don't see how anyone could prefer the Tube Screamer over the Bad Monkey unless you absolutely need the latter's characteristic mid hump.

Honestly, the Tube Screamer is overpriced for its worth."

So, you contradict yourself, as you say it's a matter of preference, and as I clearly stated mine, you are saying I don't back up my criticism? It's my opinion, so all you have proved to us here is that you're an idiot. You state the TS is overpriced, it isn't. It's cheap for a good OD pedal. And the "mid hump" is what makes the TS sound oh so sweet, while the Bad Monkey is a cheap OD that I don't like. It sounds thin and doesn't push your OD into a nice territory, it more or less sucks your tone dry and gives it a sissy drive.

There's some backing for you, you stupid knob.

I elaborated on my preference, whereas you just throw around words like "sissy". The Bad Monkey has far more bass and is far warmer than the TS-9, so your calling it "thin" tells me you've never so much as played one. As someone that has owned both the Bad Monkey and the TS-9 (I got rid of the latter), and has extensive experience with the 808, I can say that there is no significant difference in "tone suckage" between the three of them. Again, I strongly doubt you've so much as heard one.

On a related note: I love how you're becoming outraged during a discussion about overdrive pedals. Petty dumbass.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I elaborated on my preference, whereas you just throw around words like "sissy". The Bad Monkey has far more bass and is far warmer than the TS-9, so your calling it "thin" tells me you've never so much as played one. As someone that has owned both the Bad Monkey and the TS-9 (I got rid of the latter), and has extensive experience with the 808, I can say that there is no significant difference in "tone suckage" between the three of them. Again, I strongly doubt you've so much as heard one.

On a related note: I love how you're becoming outraged during a discussion about overdrive pedals. Petty dumbass.

I am comparing the Bad Monkey to the TS808. If you had read my original post, you would have seen that I said:

"The Bad Monkey is, In My Opinion, a joke. The TS-808 blows it out of the water, or the Maxon808."

I have played one, and I have heard one, it was when I played it. Can you believe it? Probably not, but who cares. This guy is going to buy a Bad Monkey and waste his time by having to drive back to GC and return it for a TS808, or as I stated even before, a T-Rex Mud Honey .
High as tits
Quote by 1337void
Want a tube screamer for 15 dollars instead of 100-200? buy the behringer TO800, its the exact copy of a TS808 with those maxon OPamps that people rave about and without the marketing bullsh*t to honk up the price. only con is the plastic casing, which, seems, can handle some beating after all http://youtube.com/watch?v=0QL-6eTHSHQ
the sound difference between the behringer and the original pedal: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=551106 is it a 100 dollar difference? i think not

Yeah, the TO800 is a good TS copy. This may be one of the only Behringer products which I would label passable.
But, it's not that Behringers can't take a beating, it's that their electronics fail.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Forget it, get what YOU want, who cares what WE think?

It's your sound, test them all out if you can. If not, then go with what you have tested.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Forget it, get what YOU want, who cares what WE think?

It's your sound, test them all out if you can. If not, then go with what you have tested.

I was just looking for advice. That's what this thread is for, right?
Page 1 of 2