After playing a year with a Squier Strat, i'm looking to buy a better guitar.
My eye fell on the Ibanez RG2550E or the ESP LTD KH-602 (Kirk Hammet signature).
I'm looking for a versatile guitar, as i play mostly metal, but also some other stuff like Carlos Santana style songs. Which guitar would you recommand?
The Gibson sg...

Ibanez is an O.K brand... RG's are way overrated.

ESP... ... ... ... .... ... ESP is for little fags who like metal but cant afford a real guitar.
Last edited by linknchuk at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by linknchuk
The Gibson sg...

+1
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by linknchuk

ESP... ... ... ... .... ... ESP is for little fags who like metal but cant afford a real guitar.

fail
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by linknchuk
The Gibson sg...

Yes buy the overpriced gibson guitar :P

Ibanez are great. Same with ESPs althought id stay away from signature models. They are usually not as good as you would expect for the price.
Quote by linknchuk
The Gibson sg...

Yes. James Hetfield is a little fag who likes metal but can't afford a real guitar.

You got the middle bit right anyway.
Metal + Santana type tonal palette in one guitar?????

Other guitars to look at PRS SE of one form or another, or an Ibanez S series perhaps oh yes and a Mesa Mark series as well.
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
Last edited by BigBaldIan at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by sofubar
Yes. James Hetfield is a little fag who likes metal but can't afford a real guitar.

You got the middle bit right anyway.

No... James hetfields coolness travels through his godly fingers into any istrument. He can even make epiphones look good.
Quote by linknchuk
The Gibson sg...

And the SG is totally not overrated, ya? An RG will do fine for Santana stuff, the amp is more important anyways.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Fzau

I'm looking for a versatile guitar, as i play mostly metal, but also some other stuff like Carlos Santana style songs. Which guitar would you recommand?

OK, Carlos uses humbucker pick ups and so do metal guitars. Carlos actually uses his front pick up and on a rare occasion - metal guitarists do as well but rarely. So something with 2 humbuckers. SG/LP/ESP/Ibby whatever you like at that point in that configuration. Keep the squier and pimp it later with some hot single coils. You wont believe the difference. I agree sig guitars are more hype than hyper. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
First of all thanks for all the replies!
It appears that there are a lot of SG fans here
I don't think I'm going to buy the KH-602, as the lesser signature guitars aren't as good as the real ones and you have to pay royalties on them as well. I don't really like a LP either, I personnaly think they're too heavy (don't kill me).
I guess I'll have to spend a day in the guitar shop testing
I'll surely try the Gibson SG, the Ibanez RG prestige. Maybe a nice S5470TKS Prestige, they're so light and look better than the RG's IMO, but of course, looks comes last.
As for PRS guitars, there are the SE series, but I'm willing to spend more money for a better guitar and there are no better PRS' in my price range I think (around $1200).
As for the wood, I'd like to have something with loads of sustain
Any suggestions for a njummy metal, but versatile tone?

Once again thanks for the help
Last edited by Fzau at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by Fzau
First of all thanks for all the replies!
It appears that there are a lot of SG fans here
I don't think I'm going to buy the KH-602, as the lesser signature guitars aren't as good as the real ones and you have to pay royalties on them as well. I don't really like a LP either, I personnaly think they're too heavy (don't kill me).
I guess I'll have to spend a day in the guitar shop testing
I'll surely try the Gibson SG, the Ibanez RG prestige. Maybe a nice S5470TKS Prestige, they're so light and look better than the RG's IMO, but of course, looks comes last.
As for the wood, I'd like to have something with loads of sustain
Any suggestions for a njummy metal, but versatile tone?

Once again thanks for the help

Don't go for an S if you want sustain, they're really thin so I don't reckon they'll have much sustain.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
S Series actually sustain pretty well. And I think you can get some of the PRS CE models in that 1200 price range. Those are nice guitars, so I'd suggest that if you can afford one. Hope this helps
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I went from a Ibanez RG and Prefer the Esp. I'm Playing on the KH-503 in fact... But its a bit different as far as sig's go.. It's a neck thru design and plays like a dream. Also it doesnt have all the flair that most sig's have. Just 2 spiders on the 12th fret and the rest are abalone dot inlays and no big yellow spider. Cant tell its a sig at all... Which i love... Now the 602 is a bit different, one look at that guitar and you know its kirks sig which is cool in a way but it kills alot of originality. But on the other hand, its a really nice guitar and for the price its resonable. Your getting emgs, OFR trem, thin neck and a few other perks... Theres alot of other guitars out there with less and charging you more.... But there are some that are cheaper and offer you more.... But its a decent guitar if you can get over the its a signature hump...
Quote by onemanarmy9
S Series actually sustain pretty well. And I think you can get some of the PRS CE models in that 1200 price range. Those are nice guitars, so I'd suggest that if you can afford one. Hope this helps

All the CE models are 2500+
The best PRS' in my price range would be an SE Custom (round 830) and a SE Singlecut trem (same), maybe put some better humbuckers on them I dunno. I don't know if they can cope with a Gibson SG or an Ibby S5470TKS, and it is almost impossible to test PRS' here in Belgium Although I have found a store
http://www.keymusic.be/details.asp?prodid=93639&taal=0

The Ibanez certainly does have sustain, oooh yes
It's pretty amazing how they're built. They're so light you can even swing it around with the trem after doing a whammy harmonic

Anyway, my new guitar must be a durable one. But for the money, that's almost bound to be the case.

note: if Herman Li would have a cheaper version of his EGEN i'd buy it immediatly but the price is just way too high for me (€2399 without taxes => got this from Ibanez before the Frankfurter Messe )
Last edited by Fzau at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by linknchuk
No... James hetfields coolness travels through his godly fingers into any istrument. He can even make epiphones look good.

ya with his complex guitar riffing lol.(his riffs are NOT complex)

but ya james is a pretty good player wrote some good **** like hit the lights
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.