Whats the best and cheapest way to record your music to a PC to get studio quality, without paying for a studio..

Give me some products I can look at that aren't too heavy on the wallet, and I can probably get any type of mic I want from school, so. Thanks in advance.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
studio quality you say? a 64 channel PC Bus mixer, either Sonar or Pro Tools, lot's of acoustic dampening material, good monitors, a soundproof acoustically dead mixing/control room. and a few other things. Theres a reason why people still use studios.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
studio quality you say? a 64 channel PC Bus mixer, either Sonar or Pro Tools, lot's of acoustic dampening material, good monitors, a soundproof acoustically dead mixing/control room. and a few other things. Theres a reason why people still use studios.

Although I did mention cheap? I'm just wondering how people get these great recordings of demo'ing their amps .. They don't pay to enter a studio for that.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

mackie onyx sattiliite
sure sm57
studio headphones

they'll get you damn good quality recordings on a budget.

take it to riffs and recordings though
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Your username... it's amazing.

Yup.
If I remember correctly you already have a decent room...try Audacity and a good condenser mic, into a good pc interface. It likely won't be pro quality unless you really know how to use the filters, but you can get very close.
Nope, no sig here.
The thing about 'professional sound' is that it's not always a musical sound. There are plenty of amazing records that were recorded on old 4- or 8-track tape machines. The recording may not be near as clean and perfect as a professional digital studio mix, but that's what's great about it. It's musical.

This is why I use an 8-track reel to reel tape machine for my recordings. My whole setup (mixer, MTR, mics, monitors, effects) totals roughly $2000 and I'm more than satisfied with it.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Mutant Corn
If I remember correctly you already have a decent room...try Audacity and a good condenser mic, into a good pc interface. It likely won't be pro quality unless you really know how to use the filters, but you can get very close.

This sounds convincing, my school has some Shure condensers I could borrow what kind of interfaces are good?
Edit; what about that line 6 toneport deal.

After you spend the money to get Studio quality recordings, you've already spent more money than it would take to just record something at a studio. My band tried to get some computer stuff, but it's ok for rough demos. If you wanna take it father than that, then it is necessary to just go to a studio.
Line 6 sells some recording things. I'm using my friends toneport and i can get alot of famous tones by searching the web and downloading them but idk if i can actually plug my amp into it. It sounds great tho.

i think its 99 dollars

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
I have GuitarPort by Line6. It is a really good product. You download Gearbox with it and it gives you every effect and amp model you can think of. It is a really good tool. You can get it on ebay for 40-60 bucks but i would actually suggest buying TonePort if you plan on recording vocals or 2 instruments at the same time.

For software, i would suggest either EXPStudio (free) or Acoustica Mixcraft v.3 (50 bucks)

Mixcraft is great, i would suggest it if you want 50 bucks to spend.

So all in all about 50-150 bucks depending on what you get.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
Ah, so you seek the Grail?

Well answer me these questions three!

What is your name?

What is your quest?

...and what...is your favorite color?

WRONG!!!

*AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!*

...this pretty much sums up the next few days of your life.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

lol I love that movie. ^

But yeah, that line 6 thing sounds sweet. I could do, bass, guitars, vocals. Then could I put recorded drums with it?

If you mic'd up a drum set then yeah you could put some recorded drums with it. If youre doing anything with multi-layer recording i would suggest buying Mixcraft. Its super easy to use.

TonePort works best if you plan on recording a band all at one time.

If youre just wanting guitar though, i would go with GuitarPort.

And GearBox usually comes with a ton of drum loops if you wanted to use them.
Quote by StreetLight3989

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
I'd most likely use it to record with my band, and personally myself. Umm doesn't the toneport come with a mixer too?

Im not sure. I havent really used TonePort at all but it does have little knobs on the front that you control volume with. I think you can buy a TonePort pack with RiffWorks which is some recording software. I have never used RiffWorks however so i cant tell you how well it works.
Quote by StreetLight3989

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
But that gets you a good quality recording?

Software really doesnt have much to do with the quality, it is all about the interface.
All of the recordings that i have used guitarport on turn out very good. Here is a link to how the song turned out with GuitarPort and EXPStudio.
http://www.mediafire.com/?vdzcnyfjmgm
If you have any other questions, message me cause i gotta go and chances are i wont be able to find this topic again.
Quote by StreetLight3989

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86