I've got A.D.D., and I've had some kind of bad habit where I just pick the hell out of my fingers until they hurt, all my life. For the past probably 10 years, at least, I've taken my thumbnail and pushed on the outside corner of my pinky finger's cuticle. If you don't have A.D.D., this will sound freaky I'm sure, but adrenaline is chemically nearly identical to Ritalin, which is soothing to sufferers. I think I've been subconsciously doing that as a soothing mechanism.

Anyway, now that I started playing guitar, I think I screwed myself, but making my finger grow crooked. I can't reach hardly anything with my pinky. Was playing a song last night where you use your pinky to reach another higher note in a chord as a variation and I couldn't even get the next fret over.

Looking at my pinky, if I flex it, the tip of it is naturally towards the center of my palm, even further over than my ring finger. I guess I just wanted to know for sure that this is not normal... or do other people have the same problem?
yep my pinky points more to the center of my hand than ring finger finger an E chord and pivot your elbow in and out see how that moves your pinky left and right use your body wrist and arm to finger with the pinky, not buy moving the pinky on its own but by the whole blended motion and keep practicing i have gotten so much more flexable in just the 5 months ive been practicing and playing every day it happens and the best part is learning one simple thing makes three harder things easier to learn on down the road.
if you just started your pinkies gonna suck hard anyway until you get it stronger, in my experiance i havent seen anyone who has found the cant play guitar because of something physical, iv seen ppl with tiny fingers, massive fingers chubby fingers, crooked fingers, as you learn your own style you may find it to be an advantage
Depends on your definition of "just started"... been playing for a year and a half but I progressed much quicker than normal due to previous music experience.

Ah, I remember what it was, I was trying to play a "D/B" chord, which, maybe I was fingering it wrong, but I figured you had to play the D chord with your pinky on the top string, because you needed your index finger to press down the B note. I couldn't do it for anything, my pinky physically could not be placed there. I was trying to accurately play "tonight I just need my guitar" by Jimmy Buffet.

Speaking of which, how in the hell do you play a "D/B" anyway???
Quote by corndogggy
I've got A.D.D., and I've had some kind of bad habit where I just pick the hell out of my fingers until they hurt, all my life. For the past probably 10 years, at least, I've taken my thumbnail and pushed on the outside corner of my pinky finger's cuticle. If you don't have A.D.D., this will sound freaky I'm sure, but adrenaline is chemically nearly identical to Ritalin, which is soothing to sufferers. I think I've been subconsciously doing that as a soothing mechanism.

Anyway, now that I started playing guitar, I think I screwed myself, but making my finger grow crooked. I can't reach hardly anything with my pinky. Was playing a song last night where you use your pinky to reach another higher note in a chord as a variation and I couldn't even get the next fret over.

Looking at my pinky, if I flex it, the tip of it is naturally towards the center of my palm, even further over than my ring finger. I guess I just wanted to know for sure that this is not normal... or do other people have the same problem?

My pinkie gave me the exact same problem but not just that my index finger leans in towards the centre of my palm too. When i flex my hand it looks like i got fingers 2 and 3 in brackets as 1 and 4 are so bent. I've spent 2 months doing stretching exercises and especially an exercise called finger gym and now i feel ok about my wonky digits and can reach easily across the first 5 frets.
Here is a link to the finger stretching exercise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xex90siLkXg

and here is finger gym which helped me a hell of a lot with pinkie strength

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf7OTbl__aU&feature=related

Keep at it man your not on your own
Quote by corndogggy

My pinky is slightly crooked (I have a callous on the side of the tip). Its a pain sometimes but practising has improved its use a LOT. I can manipulate hammer on /pull off with it in barre chords quite well now, altho the occasional stretch still gets me.

I have a friend who has a 'bum finger'. He sliced it when he was young and it grew funny so he doesn't have a traditional pad, and can't fret at all with it. He still manages to play well without his pinky, tho!

And don't forget about people who have suffered accidents, such as Tommy Iommi.

So what I'm saying in a roundabout way is just practise, I know its annoying but its nothing that should hinder you too much.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.