Title pretty much says it all, what makes something metal, I decided to ask this because people are calling things like Fightstar metal, and I didn't really think that it was metal, of course I could be wrong.

Thanks guys
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Any of a category of electropositive elements that usually have a shiny surface, are generally good conductors of heat and electricity, and can be melted or fused, hammered into thin sheets, or drawn into wires. Typical metals form salts with nonmetals, basic oxides with oxygen, and alloys with one another.

In chemistry, a metal (Greek: Metallon) is an element that readily loses electrons to form positive ions (cations) and has metallic bonds between metal atoms. Metals form ionic bonds with non-metals. They are sometimes described as a lattice of positive ions surrounded by a cloud of delocalized electrons. The metals are one of the three groups of elements as distinguished by their ionization and bonding properties, along with the metalloids and nonmetals. On the periodic table, a diagonal line drawn from boron (B) to polonium (Po) separates the metals from the nonmetals. Most elements on this line are metalloids, sometimes called semi-metals; elements to the lower left are metals; elements to the upper right are nonmetals.

or

musoc that goes du du du du chicka wah du du, do do do du du wahhhhhhhh du du. and it occasionally sounds like a horse galloping.
Quote by clement1
Any of a category of electropositive elements that usually have a shiny surface, are generally good conductors of heat and electricity, and can be melted or fused, hammered into thin sheets, or drawn into wires. Typical metals form salts with nonmetals, basic oxides with oxygen, and alloys with one another.

In chemistry, a metal (Greek: Metallon) is an element that readily loses electrons to form positive ions (cations) and has metallic bonds between metal atoms. Metals form ionic bonds with non-metals. They are sometimes described as a lattice of positive ions surrounded by a cloud of delocalized electrons. The metals are one of the three groups of elements as distinguished by their ionization and bonding properties, along with the metalloids and nonmetals. On the periodic table, a diagonal line drawn from boron (B) to polonium (Po) separates the metals from the nonmetals. Most elements on this line are metalloids, sometimes called semi-metals; elements to the lower left are metals; elements to the upper right are nonmetals.

or

musoc that goes du du du du chicka wah du du, do do do du du wahhhhhhhh du du. and it occasionally sounds like a horse galloping.

doesnt that joke get old?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I would define metal as the musical equivalent of being beaten in the face with a sledgehammer but totally loving every second of it.
Metal: When angry kids who aren't emo decide to make music and fail.
Quote by Muphin
Maybe if the Jews were kind to Hitler the holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Hahaha
Quote by Vermintide
Metal: A musical blow job.

A blowjob by Chuck Norris, acctually.
Quote by Muphin
Maybe if the Jews were kind to Hitler the holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Hahaha
Quote by LikidySplitz
Metal: the greatest genre of music ever which is far more awesome than Radiohead, who sucks!

Fixed!
It's really hard to define metal. This is because there isn't something that's just 'plain metal'. Instead there's thousands and thousands of sub genres.
Gotta love them sub genres.
Quote by Guitarmike123
It's really hard to define metal. This is because there isn't something that's just 'plain metal'. Instead there's thousands and thousands of sub genres.
Gotta love them sub genres.

Actually, I'd say stuff in the vein of Black Label Society is pretty much plain metal. Heavy riffs and solos. What I'd call just generic metal borders on being very heavy rock, with no special structure, excessive palm muting, or excessive speed.

Just nobody really likes plain metal. Or at least, everyone more or less likes it, just not enough to bother talking about it.
Liking Clowns is metalz

metal:dark and bleak music made with impressive and technical musicianship usually that presents itself either in forms that emote aggression and violence or in forms that emote despair and anguish. The Musical genre also sometimes combines with other aspects of other musical genres to form interesting musical combinations that add a distinguishing flair to that artists music.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Last edited by bootyguard at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by Vermintide
Actually, I'd say stuff in the vein of Black Label Society is pretty much plain metal. Heavy riffs and solos.

Just nobody really likes plain metal. Or at least, everyone more or less likes it, just not enough to bother talking about it.

That could be a possible answer too.
I've seen these threads before and I find them kinda funny because they tend to end like this:

Person one: Metal is about agression blah blah double bass drumming blah blah distortion blah

Person two: Well then define metalcore.

Person one: ...

And then the thread sinks to the bottomless abyss.
Quote by Guitarmike123
That could be a possible answer too.
I've seen these threads before and I find them kinda funny because they tend to end like this:

Person one: Metal is about agression blah blah double bass drumming blah blah distortion blah

Person two: Well then define metalcore.

Person one: ...

And then the thread sinks to the bottomless abyss.

Metal that sucks?
metal isn't only about aggression, thats one aspect of metal. i say look back to black sabbath the founders of metal and see their songs. Black Sabbath (the track off their first album) is not very aggressive but it emotes loss, fear, insanity, and loneliness, none of which are aggressive characteristics in the song but is definitely seen as metal. Metal is music that depicts darkness and evil usually in its purest essence, adding certain bits of flair between each subgenre. For example, power metal music doesn't so much depict despair and sorrow, but the lyrics usually talk about some evils and battles and the music tends to follow almost fleeting melodies and fast-paced rhythms to emphasize the aggression in the battles and in fighting evil or good. Doom metal on the other hand has very slow-paced rhythms but depicts darkness and evil in choosing notes to strike at certain times that bring out dissonance and emote sorrow and despair, and through that they depict darkness and evil.

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

Quote by destroy_techno
Metal that sucks?

Now, now don't make judgments like that. I'm sure there are some good metalcore out there (not likely though ).
My point was that metal is extremely hard to define.

@bootyguard: That is quite a good definition.
Does it sound like metal?

If yes, then it's metal.
If no, then it's not.

It is all very simple.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Guitarmike123
Now, now don't make judgments like that. I'm sure there are some good metalcore out there (not likely though ).
My point was that metal is extremely hard to define.

@bootyguard: That is quite a good definition.

haha thanks i was just reading everyone talking about metal and i'm like ok you're getting too complex bring it to the basics... aka Black Sabbath. This is why a lot of people consider the Doors, Led Zeppelin, and ACDC to be bands who influenced metal because some of their songs had really dark topics or had a very dark feel to it (at least for that time).

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

Metalcore is a sub-genre of metal, though...

Deadit: And for god's sake, power metal is gayer than disco and the Click 5 put together. Seriously, from Rhapsody's Holy Thunderforce:

Face me, evil bastards.

I started laughing so hard I couldn't hear the rest of the song.
That line alone is gayer than every Boogie Wonderland, Funky Town, Backstreets Back, and Living La Vida Loca ever, combined.

I cannot think of words to define how gay power metal is. Even that black tranny guy from America's Next Top Model is pointing and laughing at this.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Last edited by dead-fish at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by dead-fish
Metalcore is a sub-genre of metal, though...

Yeah, I think most of the people who frequents this part of the forum is aware of that (even if I personally don't like the music).
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by destroy_techno
I know I was joking

Yes, I know, but I'm tired, and I become less inhibited when I'm tired.
rap- poor people in the streets attempting poetry to a beat.
Up the Punx!
Well as said before metal usually invokes aspects not shown in other music (mainstream) such as fear, loss, despair, and anger. Metal usually has a certain aggression and energy other forms of music lack too. COmpare Roundabout by Yes to WInds of Creation by Decapitated. Winds of Creation has more energy. At least to me.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by dead-fish

I cannot think of words to define how gay power metal is. Even that black tranny guy from America's Next Top Model is pointing and laughing at this.

Not all power metal is like Rhapsody.

There are lots of great, non-cheesy power metal bands.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by LikidySplitz
Metal: When angry kids who aren't emo decide to make music and fail.

Actually,

Metal: The genre of music that most often receives pointless putdowns from people who dont have a clue

I WIN OLOLOLOL