so i'm in need of a new amp.
i was originally planning to get a Krank Rev halfstack, but then i was talking to my friend, and he mentioned the Kerry King JCM 800, it's pretty much the perfect amp for me. I play metal, and anything else if i feel like it really. so instead of getting the Krank, do you think it's a good idea to get the KK head and an Avatar cab? cuz thats probably what i'll be doing now
thoguhts please
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
All the KK head has over a regular JCM800 is a button which scoops the mids loads.
Just get a regular JCM800, OD pedal and a decent cabinet.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The Kerry King JCM 800 is good for only metal...if you really feel like playing anything else that's not high gain, then you probably should look for something else. If all you want is the metal sound, then go for it.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Quote by Yngwi3
All the KK head has over a regular JCM800 is a button which scoops the mids loads.

ya but getting the KK head saves me the trouble (well i'ts not trouble) of getting a tubescreamer, and it's less hassle to carry around extra cables and stuff, but i've made the choice to get the KK one or the Krank, so not to be rude but unless somebody has something totally different to suggest, but i've made my mind up for the KK or the Krank
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
I recomend the crate GT212 I ALSO PLAY , LIKE METALLICA, KIRK AND JAMES STYLE, AND SOUNDS GREAT, ALSO LIKE SOME BLACK SABBATH, NIRVANA, MEGATDETH AND STUFF BUT MOSTELY METALLICA,
GREAT DEAL, IT VERY GOOD
Quote by raulbitran
I recomend the crate GT212 I ALSO PLAY , LIKE METALLICA, KIRK AND JAMES STYLE, AND SOUNDS GREAT, ALSO LIKE SOME BLACK SABBATH, NIRVANA, MEGATDETH AND STUFF BUT MOSTELY METALLICA,
GREAT DEAL, IT VERY GOOD

well i already have a GT212 technically, my amp is the 112 version.....so please just leave, thanx
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
Ok, comlpetely different ideas...how much have you got and how big are these gigs you'll be playing? (I assume you're playing large gigs due to you wanting a halfstack?)
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Dazed/Confused
The Kerry King JCM 800 is good for only metal...if you really feel like playing anything else that's not high gain, then you probably should look for something else. If all you want is the metal sound, then go for it.

Have you played it? It sounds like a regular JCM 800 until you hit the Beast knob...

I prefer the 2203KK over the Kranks. Mostly because I've never really had much time to tinker on the Kranks and I didn't like them during my minuscule time spent with them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Dazed/Confused

well i'll be doing metal like 99% of the time, but i thoguht the KK version was teh same as the standard, just it has the KK button for when you want the boost
correct me if i'm wrong on this tho
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ChaoticVengence
well i already have a GT212 technically, my amp is the 112 version.....so please just leave, thanx

i lol'd

personally id go for the krank because of the fact that is has a clean channel (not sure how good the cleans are but they are better than nothing)
also.....it depends on what kind of metal i guess...
Top lel.
Quote by Yngwi3
Ok, comlpetely different ideas...how much have you got and how big are these gigs you'll be playing? (I assume you're playing large gigs due to you wanting a halfstack?)

well curently i'm not giging, but i will be eventually, and it's because the KK isn't in combo, but my mentality is i wanna go all out and by a halfstack, instead of buying say a $500 combo and in 2 years have to buy another amp, i'm just gonna go right away for the big stuff. and teh money isn't really a factor, it's just i'm gonna save up for the amount i need kinda thing you know what i mean?
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
Fair enough.
If you're REALLY honestly going to follow that train of thought look no further
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

teh KK doesn't have a clean channel? :S
and yngwi3, are those amps in canada? cuz i'd like to try before i buy obviously
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
you could look at framus i guess....
or maybe a peavey 6505/6505+?
just suggestions though

edit: i thought the KK was a single channel, could be wrong though...
Top lel.
ya i was also thinking for the 5150, but my friend said that i should get the KK, we talked about all the amps that would be good for me and such, and the KK and Krank stood out the most as best choices for me, i'm a diehard Dime fan, so that the Krank thing, but if the KK doesn't have a clean channel, i guess i'll have to get teh Krank or the 5150
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
hhhmmmm...ya the KK is single channel, cleans aren't that important tho, say if i'm giging i can just go straight through the PA system, or i could buy a preamp maybe?
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ChaoticVengence
ya i was also thinking for the 5150, but my friend said that i should get the KK, we talked about all the amps that would be good for me and such, and the KK and Krank stood out the most as best choices for me, i'm a diehard Dime fan, so that the Krank thing, but if the KK doesn't have a clean channel, i guess i'll have to get teh Krank or the 5150

im not an expert on the 5150/6505 by ANY means, i havent tried one yet but i'm really keen on getting one.
From reading on this forum and websites, the 5150/6505 generally arent made for cleans. However the 5150 II and the 6505+ have a seperate EQ for each channel meaning that you can get a more clean sound.

Don't quote me on that though, i'm just reciting what i've heard and haven't had any hands on experience
Top lel.
I havn't tried the KK JCM800, but I have a 6505+ which I can vouch for...
Splawns are hand made by Scott Splawn and are top class. Check here, there's clips, pics and chat about them:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808638

How heavy is the metal you're playing?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by raulbitran
GREAT DEAL, IT VERY GOOD

THIS MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOUR SHOUTING.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Yngwi3
Splawns are hand made by Scott Splawn and are top class. Check here, there's clips, pics and chat about them:

sorry to go off topic a bit...
but i have a quick question about your 6505+
is it easy to get a tone similar to the ascendency album by trivium? (especially the lead sound)?

also, how is the "clean" channel? Like.........how clean can it actually go?

againsorry for veering off topic!
Top lel.
Quote by Yngwi3

anything from say Metallica, to Slayer, to Dimmu anything that strikes my mood, but moostly thrash and death is what i'm into
i checked out the site a bit, and theres no dealers in Canada, so i'm pretty much screwed unless i see one second hand somewhere, cuz i don't wanna just orderit and then i don't like it you know
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
Last edited by ChaoticVengence at Mar 13, 2008,
generally for thrash and death, a 5150/6505 would be great!
and if you want the option of a cleaner sound a 6505+/5150 II
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
sorry to go off topic a bit...
but i have a quick question about your 6505+
is it easy to get a tone similar to the ascendency album by trivium? (especially the lead sound)?
also, how is the "clean" channel? Like.........how clean can it actually go?
againsorry for veering off topic!

Well seeing as Trivium used 6505's on Ascendency with the same cab that I have, pretty damn close! haha Yeah you can get a very similar tone.
I personally don't think the cleans are THAT bad. I'm no cleans connesseur (sp?), so that's probably why, but for the music I play I find them quite acceptable. When I get my Shure SM57, I plan on making plenty of clips

TS- I would strongly recommend a 6505/used 5150 (same amp) for a hell of a lot cheaper. On the Crunch channel with lots of gain and proper EQ'ing it can sound quite like a 'thrash JCM800' as I call them with the lead channel for your death stuff
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

cheers man! i actually saw a video tonight of a japanese guy playing through one with a peavey wolfgang (like my own guitar) and the cleans were actually very good and overall it sounded like totally fantastic amp! i need to go try one out soon!
Top lel.
Quote by Yngwi3

Also a built in noise gate which is supposed to be great quality. I believe it has one other knob as well, can't remember what it is. As long as you don't think you're spending too much, I would go with the JCM KK + Avatar over the Krank Rev Jr.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X