Poll: Earplugs, yay or nay?
Poll Options
View poll results: Earplugs, yay or nay?
yes, youll lose your hearing, dumb@$$!!!
36 86%
no
6 14%
Voters: 42.
note: search bar used
OK, so heres the deal, im goin over to my drummer fridns house, and im takin my guitar and 60/130 watt amp, and the past times ive been over there, my ears and my freinds ears are ringing after were playin, i told my parents this, and they said that thats really bad for my hearing.so, im gonna ask my dad tommorow while im at school to get me and my friend 2 pairs of earplugs for like 99 cents at guitar center.but i told my friend and he said he doesn't want any, but when i asked him if he wanted to lose his hearing, he said yes.now i dont think he meant that, but he refuses to wear earplugs, and i dont want a friend who wears hearing aids at 20, so do you think either of us should wear earplugs if our ears are ringin after we reherse?
EDIT: im wearing them no matter what, but i was plannin on printing this thread out and show him all these answers that ppl are saying and mayb thatll cinvince him to use earplugs
DOUBLEEDIT: Is there any logical reason that he wouldn't wear them?
Last edited by guitardude34875 at Mar 13, 2008,
Yes.

Drums can severely damage your ears, as can loud guitar amps.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
yes probably the stupidest question ever.. just 'cos he's not wearing them, doesnt mean u don't have to.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Whenever im having band practice i put in earplugs. You usually have to turn the guitar amps to about 50 watts so you can hear it above the drums so yeah, use ear plugs.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
I wish i had worn them, or not listened to such loud music, i have tinitus in my right ear, trust me you don't want it -.-
Quote by Flying Couch
What do you think lesbians do in bed? Play cards? They have ways of sexytime just like everybody else.

W
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why would you NOT scour the news for stories about incestual anal piping?
Quote by Tye1989
I wish i had worn them, or not listened to such loud music, i have tinitus in my right ear, trust me you don't want it -.-

what's tinitus?
You know how everything can sound dull, and muffled and quiet after playing drums? Multiply that muffled sound by ten years and add permanent ringing, and that's how things will sound all the time when your twenty(assuming he's a teen). It's idiocy to regularly expose yourself to loud noise and never wear plugs.
I never use them and I practice with my band a lot. I'm fine though.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
I have started using them at concerts and band practices. You can get great see through ones which fit in your ear lobe and are hard to notice (which is good for not being questioned by pesky folks at concerts).
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Tinnitus-
Tinnitus is not itself a disease but a symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes, including ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, and injury from loud noises. Tinnitus is also a side-effect of some oral medications, such as aspirin, and may also result from an abnormally low level of serotonin activity.

The sound perceived may range from a quiet background noise to one that can be heard even over loud external sounds. The term "tinnitus" usually refers to more severe cases. Heller and Bergman (1953) conducted a study of 80 tinnitus-free university students placed in an anechoic chamber and found that 93% reported hearing a buzzing, pulsing or whistling sound. Cohort studies have demonstrated that damage to hearing (among other health effects) from unnatural levels of noise exposure is very widespread in industrialized countries.[5]
more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
For practice, definitely.

It's arguable that if you're seeing some legendary concert, like BB King or somebody that won't be around much longer then I'd probably go without - just out of respect.

...he'd be worth losing a bit of hearing for.

But I've been dragged to plenty of shows where I'm glad I had my plugs!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

It's obvious you should wear 'em. Even if your ears aren't ringing, if you want to be musicians your ears are the most important thing alongside your creativity. When you damage your ears, you don't only lose some hearing, but a little bit of the treble you hear on anything.

I always wear earplugs if i'm going to practice with a drummer.
I sometimes I wear 'em when practicing alone.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Mar 13, 2008,
I can't imagine any scenario in which earplugs could do anything but good. What benefit could possibly come from going without earplugs?

Paul Gilbert and Eric Johnson have to wear headphones when they play live because of tinnitus caused by overexposure to loud volumes on stage. I believe Pete Townshend, Lars Ulrich, and Neil Young also have tinnitus, or at least some form of hearing damage.
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Mar 13, 2008,
I try using them at band practice (I'm the drummer). But I can't hear sh*t (duh), so I stopped using them.

def. wear them, I wish I had when I was in my old band
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
I strongly believe that all drummers should wear plugs, especially if they are heavy on the cymbals.

I've noticed a vast drop in my hearing over the years from loud music and through work. i'd strongly suggest wearing them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
I try using them at band practice (I'm the drummer). But I can't hear sh*t (duh), so I stopped using them.

If you can't hear anything with earplugs in, you have to be retarded, deaf, or you're not hitting the drums.
Paul Gilbert wears those huge earmuffs on stage. He's awesome. Don't worry about it making you look 'funny' or get insulted for being a 'pussy'. You'll be making fun of them when they are deaf in 2 years.