Poll: 1959SLPX or BluesBreaker
Poll Options
View poll results: 1959SLPX or BluesBreaker
1959SLPX with KT66's and Mercurymagnetics transformer
3 50%
BlueBreaker RI
3 50%
Voters: 6.
Hi guys!!!! Haven't posted in awhile but I come on the forum often to do some research. I need your guys option on something.

I have recently discovered the godly sound of the BluesBreaker and am Serous about getting one. I also love the sound of the 1959slp as well. I was thinking of doing some experimenting with the SLP and changing the tube to KT66's and change the transformer to a mercurymagnetic transformer to try and get either a sound in between or a nice unique sound. My question is should I stay with the 1959slp w/ a 1960TV cab and mod it or just sell it and go straight for the bluesbreakers?

Please no smart guys, with the opinion of going to an original BB. That's just not an option for most of us.

Hendrix > SRV > Derek Trucks > Paul Kossoff

Current Setup:

1959SLPX w/ 1960TV Cab
70RI Strat

~~~~~~~Soon to be 58ri LP and Koch multitone II~~~~~~
Last edited by DerekTrucksFan at Mar 13, 2008,
Well I think if you have the SLP already and you have no qualms about modding it, you should give it a go.

If you MUST have a Bluesbraker though and you don't want to bust the bank, might I recommend a Ceriatone Bluesbraker clone. All the tone and half the price.

Or you could just get the Reissue. It's still pretty awesome. Just pricey is all.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well I think if you have the SLP already and you have no qualms about modding it, you should give it a go.

If you MUST have a Bluesbraker though and you don't want to bust the bank, might I recommend a Ceriatone Bluesbraker clone. All the tone and half the price.

Or you could just get the Reissue. It's still pretty awesome. Just pricey is all.

Does Ceriatone really get that close on the sound? That's not a bad idea. I could put the extra money towards some original GEC KT66's

Current Setup:

1959SLPX w/ 1960TV Cab
70RI Strat

As cool as it would be to have a 1959, they're just so goddamned unusably loud that I couldn't ever find a use for one.
I liked the 1974X better than the bluesbreaker though.
So out of those options, I'll take an AC30
Quote by Gabel
www.metroplous.com

Best Plexi replicas there are.

http://www.metroamp.com/

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^Schhh...

I use to know the site.

Anyway, as Roc said, I highly recommend the 18watters.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^Schhh...

I use to know the site.

Anyway, as Roc said, I highly recommend the 18watters.

The 1974x or the Bluesbraker?

Because they're both 18 watters.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^No the Bluesbreaker ain't an 18watter...

Plus don't get the 1974x, get a GDS, it's about the same price and THE 18W replica.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
^No the Bluesbreaker ain't an 18watter...

Plus don't get the 1974x, get a GDS, it's about the same price and THE 18W replica.

I thought the Bluesbraker combo was 18 watts!

I'm so embarrassed.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Roc8995
As cool as it would be to have a 1959, they're just so goddamned unusably loud that I couldn't ever find a use for one.
I liked the 1974X better than the bluesbreaker though.
So out of those options, I'll take an AC30

ive read the alot of people prefer the BB over the hand wire and it's more expensive. That's why i haven't looked into it.

Current Setup:

1959SLPX w/ 1960TV Cab
70RI Strat

I've heard everything.
I've heard it's 45 watts because it's a JTM 45 and apparently 45 watts stands for 45.
I've heard it's 30 watts from many people, including people who owns them themselves.
I've heard it's 50 watts for three reasons:
1 because there are 2 25 watt speakers in it but I think that has nothing to do with it.
2 because it says "50 watt tremolo" inside of the thing.
3 because someone thought it was 50 because my Bluesbreaker almost overpowered his 50 watt Marshall head, was like a JMP or something.

Oh and apparently the 1987x fails on you after 6 months... like some transformer or whatever it's called gets overheated. I was gonna buy that one instead of the Bluesbreaker but then I read some reviews and apparently this happened to over half of the people who wrote.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Actually Marshalls reaissues are WAY overpriced. Get a Ceriatone or Metro instead.

The Bluesbreaker is no way 30 watts. It's a variable bias, class A/B 2x6L6 amp. This generally gives it an output of 50 watts. I would say it's between 40-50 watts.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by DerekTrucksFan
ive read the alot of people prefer the BB over the hand wire and it's more expensive. That's why i haven't looked into it.

Well, don't bother reading about it. Go try some. Maybe you'll agree with me, maybe you won't. Basing your opinion on what people write on the internet is kind of silly.

Whatever you choose, the Marshall versions tend to be the least value. Any kit or smaller builder usually offers a higher quality product for a similar price.
This is how I would describe it:
What you would you choose? These two amps are roughly the same price.
The first has a PCB board, uses incorrect parts, bad transformers but have a fancy logo.

The second has handwired, PTP boad, correct high end parts, fantastic transformers, but misses the fancy logo.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Actually Marshalls reaissues are WAY overpriced. Get a Ceriatone or Metro instead.

The Bluesbreaker is no way 30 watts. It's a variable bias, class A/B 2x6L6 amp. This generally gives it an output of 50 watts. I would say it's between 40-50 watts.

Seeing as it's a copy of the 5F6A Bassman, which itself is a 40-50w amp, I don't get what all the confusion is about.