Ok, due to changes in my personal life at the moment, I'm going to be working fulltime until the new school year, so I've decided to give my gear a huge upgrade.

I'm in an 80's hair metal type band, so I'm mainly going that sort of sound, and for playing gigs rather than at home.

My first thought for a good 80's amp was the Marshall JCM800 100W Head.
What I want help with is a 4x12 cab to go with this, and suggestions on good pedals.
What I'll need is basically everything: overdrive for the rhythms, distortion boost for solos, wah, EQ pedal, chorus, phaser, reverb/delay, and probably a harmonizer of some sort (because I'm the only guitarist).

Thanks in advance for any advice I get, it's much appreciated
well, with hair metal, 80% of your tone comes from your hair
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

I had my hair cut a few months ago, it doesn't even cover half my ears anymore
I'm gettin' it back though, just you wait.
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV or the JCM
B.C. Rich warlock or Dean ML
Ibanez TS-9 (or any tubescreamer tbh)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
A Marshall voiced amp would work great (Splawn, Orange, Marshall, Peavey Windsor, you get the idea). For your solo boost, go with a Tubescreamer as mentioned. A normal Dunlop Wah will work fine. An MXR EQ would work well. Can't go wrong with a Phase 90 for your phaser or EH Small Clone for a chorus. For a delay, look into Boss stuff.

OR, you could buy a preamp unit like an ADA MP-1, Rocktron Piranha, or something else modeling and tube powered, and then mate it with a Peavey, Marshall, or Mesa power amp.
Splawn would be a good idea. Or a modded Ceriatone. Or a JCM800...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Vintage JCM 800 would probably be good, if you could find one.
As for pedals...I'm interested myself...
Mehh I meant a real vintage one, that came from the 80's. But I guess that would work too!
Hmm... for hair metal band... and the pedal types you mentioned, I'd suggest:

Distortion: Turbo Rat or something
Chorus: The cheeziest thing you can find, try the Arion Sch-Z (the one that doesn't go for insane amounts on ebay) for a thick 80's chorus
Phaser: MXR Phase 90
If you need a pitch shifter, get a boss ps-5, but it's really a frill
Amp: Splawn Quickrod
Cab: Avatar 4x12 with Greenbacks
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
You really need to scoop up one of the new BC Rich "retro" superstrats when they come out next month! Very 80s.
Quote by Johnthewrench
You really need to scoop up one of the new BC Rich "retro" superstrats when they come out next month! Very 80s.

If I have the money after all the other equipment I'm gonna get a Rhoads V.
Damn, wish I could find a hair band down here in the South East. I love my fireball but it's probably a bit high gain for 80's hair! I play a lot of metal too though.

I guess you can't go wrong with a JCM800, but I don't think they have effects loop which is kinda essential for your reverb/delay soaked soloing.

Maybe think about a DSL head?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Chex
I guess you can't go wrong with a JCM800, but I don't think they have effects loop which is kinda essential for your reverb/delay soaked soloing.

Marshall JCM800 2203X Vintage Series 100W Tube Head Features:

* 100W
* 4 EL34s in the power stage
* 3 ECC83s in the preamp
* True bypass series FX loop
* 3-band EQ
* Presence control

That was from the GAK site. I dunno if it's just on about the newer models or not though.
Quote by Retro Rocker
If I have the money after all the other equipment I'm gonna get a Rhoads V.

nice choice
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
You Should go for the Marshall. EVH phaser. Either a Vox 847 or a dunlop 535q (I prefer the dunlop). Metal muff distortion pedal with top boost (for the boost for your solo's and other stuff). Yea a 80's metal fan woot. Good luck on your set up bro.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Marshall JCM800 2203X Vintage Series 100W Tube Head Features:

* 100W
* 4 EL34s in the power stage
* 3 ECC83s in the preamp
* True bypass series FX loop
* 3-band EQ
* Presence control

That was from the GAK site. I dunno if it's just on about the newer models or not though.

Ow damn you pwned me. I stand corrected. I was sure the JCM800's didnt though, must be teh older models. Go for it though! You'll have to really crank that beast.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
I'd say Line 6 DL-4 rather than a BOSS, personally. The Phase 90 is a GREAT phaser. The EVH Phaser is priced way more than its value. It gives you a script phaser as well as a standard phaser. many people don't notice the difference. The Vox V847 is killer, better than the Dunlop imo.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
I'd say Line 6 DL-4 rather than a BOSS, personally. The Phase 90 is a GREAT phaser. The EVH Phaser is priced way more than its value. It gives you a script phaser as well as a standard phaser. many people don't notice the difference. The Vox V847 is killer, better than the Dunlop imo.

Aww tooshaa the dunlop is much better
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

You stole that from someones sig
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
You're LP will be fine for that. A JCM800 esque amp will be good for Hair Metal tones, it was very popular in the 80s (and still is!). Ceriatone and Splawn both have Marshall copies, so you might get the tone for a cheaper price.

A phase 90 would be very handy, and some sort of delay.