1. How do you know if your pushing your amp too hard?

2. I only know the Pentatonic scale - and its very bluesy - so now whenever I play i sound like i'm playing blues, which is cool, but what scale should I learn next to have a different sound. (Could be my amp tho, i dunno, i'm a newbie
1. It will short-circuit

2. Major, Harmonic minor.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru

Harmonic minor.

definately. harmonic minor scales are teh win.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
1. solid state or tube? you can push tubes harder than solid state, since solid state sounds likes shit when it's driven too hard. In fact, many tube amps are meant to be overdriven. Driving it too hard? when it starts to short circuit.
2. Learn major scale fingerings. plus, the pentatonic minor can be used for some metal and most hard rock. Also learn music theory, and the full minor scales. BTW, the relative minor scale for a major scale is the aeolian, the 6th mode of a scale. for example: c major: CDEFGABC A aeolian: ABCDEFGA
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
my amp is possessed the by the devil =) thanks for the advice, Ill rock the devil out of it with the harmonic minor and major scale =) what chord should i start with.
This is what music theory is for.
Major scale chords go major, minor, minor, major, major, minor, diminished.
for example: C maj, d-, e-, f maj, g maj, a-, b dim.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.