So next year I'm going to be a senior, and up so far, I've taken a band/guitar credit every semster. So, anyways I've never had an actual guitar teacher, just my band teacher (he doesn't play guitar). I know a decent amount of theory: I'm great with reading rhythyms and sight-reading notes, I have a decent chord knowledge, and I am flexible with different styles of music. The only thing I wish I knew more of was scales and understanding how chords are formed.
Next year I am already going to use one of my electives for a brand new class called "Rock Band" (it will be a hilarious joke-class from what I've heard ), and should I use my other semester's elective to take AP theory? It IS a college course, but I want to try it. I talked to my band teacher (he's the same guy who teaches AP music theory), and he said he thought I knew enough to be able to take it. He said the one reason why I might not want to take it is because we have to do a lot of vocal things in it. For instance, I would have to be able to recognize an A# upon hearing it, and be able to sing it. I might have to be able to do other things like sing its 5th so the class could make a chord... I'm not too good at that kind of thing. I don't think I'd even play my guitar in the class!

Have any of you taken AP music theory? Do you think I know enough to get by? And how tough would it be for someone who never sings and has no perfect pitch whatsoever to do those kind of vocal things?
Thanks!
Quote by rush5757
So next year I'm going to be a senior, and up so far, I've taken a band/guitar credit every semster. So, anyways I've never had an actual guitar teacher, just my band teacher (he doesn't play guitar). I know a decent amount of theory: I'm great with reading rhythyms and sight-reading notes, I have a decent chord knowledge, and I am flexible with different styles of music. The only thing I wish I knew more of was scales and understanding how chords are formed.
Next year I am already going to use one of my electives for a brand new class called "Rock Band" (it will be a hilarious joke-class from what I've heard ), and should I use my other semester's elective to take AP theory? It IS a college course, but I want to try it. I talked to my band teacher (he's the same guy who teaches AP music theory), and he said he thought I knew enough to be able to take it. He said the one reason why I might not want to take it is because we have to do a lot of vocal things in it. For instance, I would have to be able to recognize an A# upon hearing it, and be able to sing it. I might have to be able to do other things like sing its 5th so the class could make a chord... I'm not too good at that kind of thing. I don't think I'd even play my guitar in the class!

Have any of you taken AP music theory? Do you think I know enough to get by? And how tough would it be for someone who never sings and has no perfect pitch whatsoever to do those kind of vocal things?
Thanks!

what does the AP stand for?

If you can take a theory class is school..... yeah take it. As far as the singing goes... so youll be a little uncomfortable.... who cares... go for it and learn.
shred is gaudy music
AP stands for Advanced Placement (As far as I know) taking a bunch of those courses is how people get a GPA thats above 4.0

BUT ANYWAY

Personally, I think taking a theory class would be well worth it
I'm in one now (which I'm terrible in, haha), and we have to do a decent amount of singing.

The one thing is, I really doubt you'd actually have to be able to recognize an A# upon hearing it, because thats perfect pitch, which most people don't have. Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am...*shrug*

I also don't think they're going to start you off in the class and on day 1 go "YOU! SING ME A B FLAT!" They're going to work with you until you can do it, and the rest of the class will probably be in the same situation you are, thats why you take the class, to learn how to do that stuff.

I personally think you should go for it!
Haven't taken AP Music, but I have taken college level Music Theory I and II, and singing was definitely included in the sight singing portion of the class. I say go ahead and take it, you will only get better as a musician when you are pushed out of your comfort zone, and believe me, I was not looking forward to singing. In the end, it's not about what your voice sounds like, but more about recognizing and hitting the right notes, and understanding them. Keep in mind that EVERYONE in the class will have to sing, so you're all in the same boat.
Advanced Placement Music Theory.

Doesn't that just sound amazing?! I loved my class when I took it. It was a lot of fun. When I took it, there was only 7 people in the entire class. Everyone else was too intimidated by the name. Things will be somewhat confusing because you don't understand chord construction. Once you grasp the basics of chord construction and intervals, things will go by very smoothly. Usually, the teacher will play examples too when you're learning new things, so you'll get to hear the theory being used. As for the singing notes part, I was nervous about it too when I started. Once you get used to singing the notes, it's not that bad.

If you do have trouble, you do have all of UG to help you. Also, start studying! Things will be even more smooth if you start on your aural skills. Start playing various intervals on the guitar so you can recognize them instantly. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out on the ear training part. There are certain songs that use the certain intervals that will make things easier. Here's a few that I can remember.

Minor 2nd : Jaws
Major 3rd : Easy to tell because you'll want to hear the rest of the arpeggio.
Perfect 4th : Here comes the Bride
Tritone : Believe me. You'll know.
Perfect 5th : I can't remember what song they used, but I usually use "Simple and Clean" from Kingdom Hearts to remember the interval.
Minor 6th : Yeah by Usher
Major 6th : NBC
Major 7th : You'll hear a "tug"
Octave : Easiest to tell.
Quote by Chromylchloride
Haven't taken AP Music, but I have taken college level Music Theory I and II, and singing was definitely included in the sight singing portion of the class. I say go ahead and take it, you will only get better as a musician when you are pushed out of your comfort zone, and believe me, I was not looking forward to singing. In the end, it's not about what your voice sounds like, but more about recognizing and hitting the right notes, and understanding them. Keep in mind that EVERYONE in the class will have to sing, so you're all in the same boat.

yeah its the same in all those classes... the guitarists dread the singing (usually), and Its always filled with a bunch of choir students to make you feel that much more uncomfortable. Well worth it though.

Quote by Vittu0666

Minor 2nd : Jaws
Major 3rd : Easy to tell because you'll want to hear the rest of the arpeggio.
Perfect 4th : Here comes the Bride
Tritone : Believe me. You'll know.
Perfect 5th : I can't remember what song they used, but I usually use "Simple and Clean" from Kingdom Hearts to remember the interval.
Minor 6th : Yeah by Usher
Major 6th : NBC
Major 7th : You'll hear a "tug"
Octave : Easiest to tell.

yeah those are good.... I always used Star Wars for perfect 5th..... Maria for the tritone (from west side story)..... and I think the original Star Trek theme for minor 7th (not positive on that 1 its been awhile)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 13, 2008,
Wow, thanks a lot for all the replies! I admit I'll be uncomfortable singing (especially if there's choir girls!), but like Chromylchloride said, part of being a musician is working outside of your comfort zone.
Okay, I decided to do it. Thank you very much!

By the way, Vittu0666, I think "Advanced Placement Music Theory" looks pretty badass too
If I have any more questions or need help, I'll definitely come back here!
i am very envious that your school has music theory classes =( the only classes involving music at my school are band and chorus
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
yeah i think you should take it. im gonna take it next year for the whole year.
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
I would LOVE to take an AP music theory class personally, but my school doesn't offer it. We do have a good band program and stuff, and the band directors are pretty cool guys though. If I were you, I'd totally take it. Especially since you already seem to have an okay knowledge of theory.
Just so you know they do teach you. You aren't expected to know everything going into the class!

You will not be asked to identify A# or any other note without a reference, as doing so requires perfect pitch. The ability to learn perfect pitch is highly debated, but most people think you can't learn it. Anyway, you will be asked to do the following:

Your teacher plays a note on the piano and tells you that it's G. Then she plays another note. You're asked to identify the note, given that the previous note was G. This is accomplished by knowing intervals. You may also be asked to figure out entire songs (not ultra hard stuff, but perhaps fairly complex) given that G note; the song may or may not be remotely related to the key of G or G minor.