I want to strum the following rhythm over and over:
Eighth, eighth, eighth, sixteenth, sixteenth

Problem is that since it is odd number of strums, I can never strum down at the same places from measure to measure. So Im unconsciously putting an extra arm swing in that is throwing everything out of whack.

Whats the best way to do this? I was trying D, U, D, U, U but the U, U part felt really awkward.

Any help would be appreciated.
As far as I've been taught, (and correct me if I'm wrong here), but your hand should be moving in a constant up-down motion whether you're strumming or not. So this pattern would be played as D (U) D (U) D (U) D U, leaving you in the right place to perform a downstroke at the start of the next bar.
Quote by DavidXN
As far as I've been taught, (and correct me if I'm wrong here), but your hand should be moving in a constant up-down motion whether you're strumming or not. So this pattern would be played as D (U) D (U) D (U) D U, leaving you in the right place to perform a downstroke at the start of the next bar.

That makes alot of sense. I got DDUDU to fit after toying with it some more, just curious as to what the basic rule was.

Thanks for the responses...