Poll: Too much time in history class crying over jews?
Poll Options
View poll results: Too much time in history class crying over jews?
Yes, it's just beating a dead horse
258 55%
No, it was a genocide and deserves a lot of attention
209 45%
Voters: 468.
Page 1 of 5
So I bet my teacher that most people think we spend WAAAYYYY too much time crying over the Holocaust/Jews in history class. Sorry if I come across as insensitive, but it's true. Most people I know think the jews were the only targets and that makes me angry. Gays, blacks, Gypsies....plenty of other people died. So why do we waste so much time in class only learning about the jews? There's were many other things going on at the time. From 1938-1945 all we hear about is the jews. Sad stories, poems, direct sources, and stupid posters with fingerprints representing the people that died.

So, what do you guys think?
Do we spend too much time in the WW2 era of history class crying over the jews? Be honest.
maybe I would be influenced by you argument if you hadn't put it in such a distasteful fashion
--
--
I'm Always Thinking...

--
--
I think the reason why we focus on the Jewish is because those are the most who died. Don't quote me on that though.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Go to hell.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
its true, like 5 million others were killed. and i hate how in the 5 section WWII chapter in my US textbook, the last three sections are about the holocaust. WE ****ING GET IT HOUGHTON MIFFLIN! and i took AP european history last year, which had like a day of holocaust, which i loved. we had a smart teacher, knew we hated it.

and im jewish, so ha, give me pennies
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
My country killed 16,000,000 Indians, and tons of mexicans. Who has it worse now?

Edit: Keep in mind that when the blacks were enslaved, roughly the same amount of them died while in captivity, for example on the boat ride over, or just because of poor living conditions once they got here, or just plain because they were murdered. I'm referring to the Jews Vs. Black debate.

Also, that's okay. Because when America does something, it's not a human rights violation.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by E Daws
Go to hell.

why? its just his opinon. Jews got the worst and that sux therefore they do deserve a huge part of this subject, but in my history class from 6-9th grad not a single time have we discussed the others. And yes he may have been a little harsh about it but he's right more than just Jews died.
6 million jews as opposed to about 10,000 homos.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
gays and blacks weren't that prominent in europe at that time so they don't get called out on that
also, blacks are just generaly associated with slavery
gypsies on the otherhand do get taught about in classes, but still more jews were killed
also, famous primary source books like the diary of anne frank and night were written by jews and about jews
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
My country killed 16,000,000 Indians, and tons of mexicans. Who has it worse now?

and the blacks!! and yeah, i was about to put this down too

Quote by Fenderhippie69
by looking at your pictures, i can tell that youre just a major douchebag with the whole "I don't give a **** attitude," rebellious attitude. Get over yourself you f*cking poser.
If you had just phrased that more delicately im sure that poll would look pretty damn different
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Maybe because the jews made up a large population of Europe and they died mainly because of their race.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
okay, more jews were killed than any other ethnicity. They were the specific target of the holocaust. while it was hitler's goal to have a racially "pure" Germany, he villified jews above all others. and they have been subject to violence and abuse for a longer and more consistent time period than any other group. The reason so much time is spent on this in schools is to ensure it never happens again. which, based on your opinion, seems like the right path.
"we must... tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this earth." -RFK
6,000,000.thats a big number.
I have no opinion on this matter.
it might be based on the whole roasting them in ovens thing, or maybe the poison gassing them thing, i dont know.

Or it might be that it was all done for an ideology that put an effort in asserting its superiority and the inferiority of jews, slavs, gypsies, gays, blacks...

but then slavs would pretty much win the argument in the latter bombarossa...
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Quote by MedicreDemon
6 million jews as opposed to about 10,000 homos.

6 mil jews
5 mil others

37 billion with israeli political math

Quote by Fenderhippie69
no doubt the holocaust was a terrible thing, but i think its also covered so much because of the jews' history of being persecuted for their beliefs. all throughout history jews have been hated on, and quite frankly i dont get it. what did they ever do? they just supported a faith like any other religion.
myspace.com/crystalignition
Yes.

It's pathetic. The Cathars never get a word of mention, and they were an entire religion wiped out by an army ON ORDERS from the pope. Oh yeah. As soon as the catholic church orders mass genocide, it's not mentioned in school.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by spiderjerusalem
and the blacks!! and yeah, i was about to put this down too

Not even just that. Take into consideration how many people we killed in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, the amount of people we killed in Nicuragua, the amount of people we kill in other Latin American countries, the people in Iraq who are being bombed/starve to death because our war got in the way of humanitarian causes. Or the people in Mexico who are dying because they can't feed their children because of NAFTA, or Hoover's flooding of New Orleans in the 30s. Or even Katrina, when the government did have a plan, but it couldn't be acted out because most of the equipment that was needed for the plan to work was sent to Iraq. Or in Vietnam, a lot of our land mines are still active and blow kids up.. etc. The Korean war when we bombed pikes (which we did punish Nazi's for doing at Nuremberg)

So, our government is responsible for more deaths than anyone else is, but it's not wrong because we did it.

Edit: Why would we want to cover the amount of homosexuals killed? Then we would have to admit that gays are treated unfairly, and god knows we wouldn't want to do that.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by æTonyæ
why? its just his opinon. Jews got the worst and that sux therefore they do deserve a huge part of this subject, but in my history class from 6-9th grad not a single time have we discussed the others. And yes he may have been a little harsh about it but he's right more than just Jews died.

His question is:
"Do we spend too much time in the WW2 era of history class crying over the jews? Be honest."

Not:
"Do you think that the other minorities targeted by the Nazi's deserve more mentioned time?"

His whole post is bitching that his class spends too much time talking about what the Jewish people suffered. You think it deserves to not be mentioned? A lot of people in this thread have been mentioning that many other groups suffered and deserve mentioning. I totally agree with that. But to say discussing a group that suffered possibly one of the greatest crimes against humanity is "beating a dead horse" makes you and asshole.
Quote by RHCP94
No genocide, especially of this scale, should be forgotten. Jews got hit the worst of any ethnic group, so it only makes sense that most of the focus on holocaust victims should be placed on Jewish people. I cannot think of a single Jewish person I know who didn't have relatives imprisoned or killed in the Holocaust.

If humanity adapts the stance that looking back on events like this is 'beating a dead horse,' then we are a shameful society.

Quote by Zugunruhe
6,000,000.thats a big number.

QFT
Quote by RocknRollRay
Maybe because the jews made up a large population of Europe and they died mainly because of their race.

Pssst. Jewish isn't a race.
Quote by E Daws
His question is:
"Do we spend too much time in the WW2 era of history class crying over the jews? Be honest."

Not:
"Do you think that the other minorities targeted by the Nazi's deserve more mentioned time?"

His whole post is bitching that his class spends too much time talking about what the Jewish people suffered. You think it deserves to not be mentioned? A lot of people in this thread have been mentioning that many other groups suffered and deserve mentioning. I totally agree with that. But to say discussing a group that suffered possibly one of the greatest crimes against humanity is "beating a dead horse" makes you and asshole.

I don't think it doesn't deserve to be mentioned, I just think they need to cover other things. And more importantly, it's something we've learned since elementary school. Every year we learn the same things over and over again, too much time IS spent on learning about the holocaust.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by jeremessmore
although i hate hearing about it the jewish are better than black people i can see a coverstion like this
black guy: my people were enslaved
jewish guy:millions of my people died in a genocide
bg:but we were enslaved
jg:aw quit your bitching

Yeah, except you forgetting the part where Jews have been beat up on for the last... I don't know exactly, 3,000 or 4,000 years?

But I've actually never heard anyone say Jews are better than blacks.
its also an example that there is pure evil in the world and we cannot forget this
Quote by KetchupLad14
Yeah, except you forgetting the part where Jews have been beat up on for the last... I don't know exactly, 3,000 or 4,000 years?

But I've actually never heard anyone say Jews are better than blacks.

I've heard people say Jews had it worse than blacks.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by E Daws
His question is:

Not:

By no means am I dismissing it. It was an absoluetly terrible thing, but I honestly believe we spend too much time on it. A day or 2 is fine. But 2 weeks is F#cking ridiculous
Jews have had a rough time throughout the history of civilization.

Read the Old Testament (assuming there's any truth to it).
Quote by InvaderTSN
Yes....they are.....

No.... They aren't.....
Quote by Melan
No.... They aren't.....

Yes...they are.
Quote by RHCP94
Quote by freedoms_stain
Jews have had a rough time throughout the history of civilization.

Read the Old Testament (assuming there's any truth to it).

Right, so covering something from a long ass time ago, though it's important, isn't exactly as relevant as something else that time could be used for. Especially since we already know what happened during the holocaust.
Quote by Melan
No.... They aren't.....

You're thinking of Judaism, as in the belief. That's why they're called Jewish PEOPLE. You don't ever hear anyone called "Christian people."
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Melan
No.... They aren't.....

they aren't technically but they have kind of developed into a race

people refer to jewish descendents almost like people refer to someone of african american descent or caucasian
Page 1 of 5