Poll: Which is the best blues bassline?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best blues bassline?
elemenohpee
13 27%
Narcotics
3 6%
WhyLater
32 67%
Voters: 48.
Okay...round 1 of bass wars voting continues with the blues genre

Remember we're judging original basslines. Vote for your favourite on the basis of how it fulfils the brief as a blues bassline and the quality of the writing and playing. Recording quality is NOT to be taken into account.

Entrants are:

elemenohpee
Narcotics
WhyLater

Poll will close in a week so get listening and voting!
WhyLater's song was easily the best in my opinion, really catchy tune, like most blues stuff but yeah, his song was best :P
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Elemenohpee's had a great groove and probably the best ideas out of any of them. The problem I had with it was that it seemed underdeveloped. With maybe another couple of days of hashing it could've easily won, no questions asked.

Narc, yours didn't have much as far as ideas went. It had a very overused and standardized groove with some, seemingly random, twittering. Nothing really sucked me in.

WhyLater, pretty great. It was a little rough, but that's to be expected under the time constraints. I felt distortion seemed a little unnecessary and tasteless, but that's just me. Some smoother overdrive would've worked much better.

In the end, I'm sad I can't say elem was the best, but it just wasn't all there. So, I'll pick WhyLater.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
WhyLater, pretty great. It was a little rough, but that's to be expected under the time constraints. I felt distortion seemed a little unnecessary and tasteless, but that's just me. Some smoother overdrive would've worked much better.

Yeah, with the OD sound I was trying to go for something a little different. Put it outside the box, you know? But in the end, I might have to agree with you... I might have gone a little too far.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
Yeah, with the OD sound I was trying to go for something a little different. Put it outside the box, you know? But in the end, I might have to agree with you... I might have gone a little too far.

I like it. Maybe it's a bit harsh and trebley for the song - maybe you should have cut the gain back a bit but I like it. It wasn't what I was expecting to hear at that point but it sounded good. Subtlety is overrated anyway!
I have been living the Blues (the genre not the literal sense lately)..so this was an interesting one for me to listen to at this point in time.

Narc--very underdeveloped. I lost interest after you stayed in the same form (and the "I" of the I IV V format). You are now required to go back and listen to Hideaway and Born under a bad sign for the rest of the day..lol

It was a hard pick between the other two. I agree with Bales that Elemenohpee was a great idea that if worked on a bit longer could have been brilliant. WhyLater kept to the form and spirit of blues playing, but I found the OD a bit distracting and overdone.

It was a narrow finish, here but WhyLater won by a slight edge.

Now excuse me, I'm going to go back and play some more Willie Dixon on bass before I turn in for the night....
Narcotics - No progression, and that that trilling thing really annoyed me, TBH.

Elemenophee - Great ideas. I actually really liked your fretless tone on the blues.

WhyLater - Again, the OD was a bit out of place and too trebly, but the clean tone (or does it have a tad of dirt as well?) was pretty good. I really like the progressions and the playing was pretty clean.

I pick WhyLater, because it was the most dynamic and bluesy of the bunch, IMO.
WhyLater > Ele > Narc imo.

Whylater, only real criticsm i have is about the distorted bass chorus. I didnt like that so much

Ele - it was bluesy and I liked but I thought the guitar was a bit strange and I reckon it let you down by restricting the bassline you could play because im sure you are capable of much better, it's a shame you might have to go out so early in the competition

Narcotics - You got a cool riff going but it went nowhere! With some variations and some better chord progessions this coulda been the bomb! Also, WTF at 1:21

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman

Ele - it was bluesy and I liked but I thought the guitar was a bit strange and I reckon it let you down by restricting the bassline you could play because im sure you are capable of much better, it's a shame you might have to go out so early in the competition

There was no guitar in that piece, it was two separate bass tracks, one with chords, and the other playing my attempt at an improvised "blues" lead.

Like everyone has said, my idea's were very under developed, but I'm a slow worker when it comes to composition, and I didn't have the time I would have liked (mid-terms all this week). That, and I'm not used to recording without play back, which made it really really hard to do.

Can I be honest here? If I wasn't in the competition, I would totaly voted for WhyLaters as well.
Quote by Jonnomainman
Also, WTF at 1:21

this is an issue i cant get rid of the program i use is a demo and it throws that in there jsut to ruin your recording to coaks you into buying the full version

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
this is an issue i cant get rid of the program i use is a demo and it throws that in there jsut to ruin your recording to coaks you into buying the full version

I've been wondering what that was on all of your tracks! Dude, you should just download Audacity. It might not be quite as good as whatever demo you're using, but it's totally free, and it's pretty widely agreed that it can do all the basic stuff you need. 'Tis what I use.

Here I'll give you the link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Anyway, this Overdrive thing is biting me in the ass. It's what I get for trying to be edgy and make Blues something it isn't. I'm not Jack White after all.

And to answer your question Charlatan, that clean part is indeed clean. I've just got a hot bass is all. The Ibanez Ergodyne 500 (or "Horatio" as I call him) played through my SWR LA15 ("Elsinore"). Those two pieces of equipment together cost about $650 US, and are worth every penny.

And the Slinkies on my bass are over a year old - imagine after I get new ones this weekend!

EDIT: ...Good God I sound like an advertising robot or something.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Last edited by WhyLater at Mar 14, 2008,
I'm voting for WhyLater.

I enjoyed it a lot more than the others. And I loved the OD.

Sounded fantastic if you ask me Well done to the other two. Both good, though Narc's was very underdeveloped.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i voted whylater, but that fuzz was icky man...stay with the clean tone haha!
Too cool for a signature.
I'm going for WhyLater. I think it was a very listenable piece and kept my interest throughout. I also loved the fuzz too, and the chords, a great piece. Next is elemenohpee. I thought yours had a very solid groove but I preferred WhyLater. As for Narco's- there was something there, definetely, but I think you need to change keys more, swing the bassline around a little, but definetely potential. All in all, very well done to everyone who took part.
signature
Whylater: Great Little Grove going on, got my vote.

Ele - Really Cool little grove I just thought the solo was a bit... Tacked?

Narcotics - I loved the root type blues, but just sitting too long on the same chord.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
i personlly prefares elemenohpee bass line his bass line was the most original a lot of similar stuff to the other two were written 1000 times before
Quote by puskus54
i personlly prefares elemenohpee bass line his bass line was the most original a lot of similar stuff to the other two were written 1000 times before

Meh, it was my first foray into Blues. So I asked myself "What kind of Blues would be best for you to start with, self?" And the self responded "Why, 12-bar, of course!" I did try to throw my own spice into it though...

I do agree though that elem's was snazzily original and deliciously fretless.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by sven_cliffy
Ele - Really Cool little grove I just thought the solo was a bit... Tacked?

The solo was completely improvised and I had run out of time, so that's what it came out as. And the solo was absolutely awful if you ask me.

WhyLater - I went through the same decision making process as you, but I've played 12 bar blues before, and I was tired of it, so I decided on trying something different. It worked in some ways, and definitely not in others.