Alright. I've been thinking alot lately, I'm 16 and I have two main ideas of what I want to do with my life. The main one that I think about most often (but probably won't have the balls to go through with) is playing music for a living.
I, so badly, want to just drop out of high school, get a job for two years or so while I'm still living here with my parents, and save up as much money as possible, and then just get far the hell away from here, and use that money to get some music gear and rent a decent place with a buddy or two (possibly rent a place with a band member or two) and just play music, while doing something extra on the side for a bit of money.
I don't think have the guts to do such a thing, and my brain screams "No, you ****tard, you're gonna screw your life up. " I'm pretty sure it's right. But, I don't want to waste so much time going to school and paying to go to college so I can be miserable and worked to death while I'm their. ( And I know I'll catch a lot of crap about the School being "wasted time". I'll likely never used half of what I'm being "taught" here. And I really don't want to go to college. And I'm not just saying that because I'm incapable of learning it or doing well. I have a 3.75 GPA, 12th in my class, believe it or don't. )

Just wanted to rant and here some opinions, feel free to give your thoughts on the subject, call me an idiot, whatever you please.

[ Edit: Just to be clear I'm NOT going to go through with this, I can't let myself. I was just curious of what others have to say. ]
Last edited by Dethvone1 at Mar 13, 2008,
Are your parents okay with you dropping out? They might not let you live with them after
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia

Listen to Mr. T
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
You meet more people in college who play good and then you can move out and make a band with them, or live on res and pound some fine piece of veal (ie the foxy ladies on campus, cause post-secondary ladies are hot, trust me)
dude at the very least finish high school
seriously

then mayb pursue some music carreer for a bit, and if it doesnt work in a year you can still go to college, just make sure to leave ur options open, cuz 99% of musicians fail, sadly enough
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
No offence but i think you sound like you are immature and or have social problems. i have been there so i can see it a mile off, dont worry you can go to uni anytime focus on your attitude first then everything in your life will fall into place.Bear in mind your parents probably want you to fk off so they can chill out, smoke dope and have sex.
yeah man, stay in school, get your diploma, and life will be so much easier. you will get jobs wayyy easier, and girls will like you.

so... im gonna get my AAS degree, and then become a sperm donor. i think im gonna make a thread about this!
dude, what you do is stay in school and go to college
you can still have a band and play music for money, but if you can't make a living soley off of that, you have a college degree to get a decent job
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by Andreas1
No offence but i think you sound like you are immature and or have social problems. i have been there so i can see it a mile off, dont worry you can go to uni anytime focus on your attitude first then everything in your life will fall into place.Bear in mind your parents probably want you to fk off so they can chill out, smoke dope and have sex.

No offense taken. And my mother (don't live with my father) doesn't mind, as long as I'm out about the same time I would have been out of high school.

But, Rest assured I'm not really going to do this. It's just a thought I've had lately.
Mostly interested in hearing what you guys had to say.
my friend who is striving to be a voice actor dropped out yesterday. He was clinically depressed and sick of dealing with school. He was behind on credits, so he would have had to do an extra semester of school, so he just decided to **** it. I'm worried that it's probably the worst decision he's ever made. He could make it as a voice actor, but how likely is that? The only thing is, he has a good reason for dropping out. You don't. Just stick to school, you'd regret dropping out.
that would be the life for me, just playing music as a career. sadly, that seems a far off dream at the point i'm at right now . but i have hopes for the future .
what you might wanna think about doing is taking a year off after finishing high school, during which time you could work during the day and play shows during the night. you would have the year to think about what you want to do/just chill and have a good time, then you would save up money to go to college with, at least to get a bachelor's degree. you would also be able to play in a band in college and try to get noticed...
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
TS, I actually had almost the same exact thoughts for a while. Very similar situation too: high GPA but little regard for school and a distaste at the prospect of a "normal" future.
I'm going to graduate this year (a year early) and go off to college and see how I like it, see what kind of people I meet. School has been pretty hard to get through (not academically, just painfully stupid), but I've been looking forward to college next year, a new environment.
School sucks, I know, especially for us smart people. It seems like they spend way more money taking care of the retarded kids who sadly will probably be spending the remainder of their lives being cared for by others than they use to provide challenging and stimulating classes for talented individuals. Dropping out seems very attractive at times, but if you do, you're pretty much ****ed unless your chosen career happens to work out, and, realistically, there isnt much of a chance that youre going to have a successful career in music. My advice is, just try to tough it out, maybe take a couple corrospondence courses and graduate early like I'm doing, practice guitar, and go off to college and see how you find it.
kill all humans
Dropping out generally is a bad idea because if you're plan doesn't work out how you wanted it to then you're pretty much screwed for life with jobs unless you get a GED or something and even then people would most likely pick someone with a diploma over you and definitely someone with a degree. Finish school and decide what you want to do from there. Maybe just try to go it independent or try to go to a college for music.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Dethvone1
Alright. I've been thinking alot lately, I'm 16 and I have two main ideas of what I want to do with my life. The main one that I think about most often (but probably won't have the balls to go through with) is playing music for a living.
I, so badly, want to just drop out of high school, get a job for two years or so while I'm still living here with my parents, and save up as much money as possible, and then just get far the hell away from here, and use that money to get some music gear and rent a decent place with a buddy or two (possibly rent a place with a band member or two) and just play music, while doing something extra on the side for a bit of money.
I don't think have the guts to do such a thing, and my brain screams "No, you ****tard, you're gonna screw your life up. " I'm pretty sure it's right. But, I don't want to waste so much time going to school and paying to go to college so I can be miserable and worked to death while I'm their. ( And I know I'll catch a lot of crap about the School being "wasted time". I'll likely never used half of what I'm being "taught" here. And I really don't want to go to college. And I'm not just saying that because I'm incapable of learning it or doing well. I have a 3.75 GPA, 12th in my class, believe it or don't. )

Just wanted to rant and here some opinions, feel free to give your thoughts on the subject, call me an idiot, whatever you please.

[ Edit: Just to be clear I'm NOT going to go through with this, I can't let myself. I was just curious of what others have to say. ]

Go to a good music college, Belmont has a good music program and is easy to get into, its in Nashville. Do your own research though.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Why not go to a college with a good music program?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
dude **** that. trust me, you'll regret dropping out for the rest of your life unless you get insanely lucky.
I feel the same way, but I can't really drop it, you know? good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.