Sorry if this has already been discussed, but for the bass interlude and the solo in Orion by Metallica, there's many tabs some say the interlude is played started on the 2nd fret of the D string and the notes after are on the 2nd,4th and 5th on the G, and other tabs say it starts an octave higher (14th on D), but using the same note pattern, secondly for the solo same tabs say the bend at the start is on the 9th fret of the G string and the solo revolves mostly around the 4-9 frets, but others say it starts off on the 21st fret of the G and 16-22 or so.

So I was just wondering your opinions on this.
the interlude starts on the 9th fret of the A string (f#)
and the solo starts on the 21st fret of the G string (E)
there is a harmony in the solo but i forget what note that is
p.s
you should learn the notes its alot easier to say what your talking about

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
p.s

I start it on E (14th fret of D string) and it sounds perfect to my friends and I....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
thats the same note jsut an octave lower
so it would sound right.....just lower

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

sorry about the interlude i mean the little bit at the beginning just at about 1:42 with distortion, sorry for being unclear about that
I always played it this way:

G|------------------12-------------14------------15
D|--12-12-12-124----12-12-12----12-12-12----12-12-12-12-13-12-12-12

Number of notes prob isn't right, but you get the idea.
Quote by Narcotics
p.s

To play the solo on the G string you'd need a 5 string bass with an extra C, if you're intending on going higher for the A and the following notes.

TS, I don't think it matters. If you really wanted to get both parts which (apparently) exist, just use an octave pedal with it set and octave up and mixed onto your original signar.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
To play the solo on the G string you'd need a 5 string bass with an extra C, if you're intending on going higher for the A and the following notes.

TS, I don't think it matters. If you really wanted to get both parts which (apparently) exist, just use an octave pedal with it set and octave up and mixed onto your original signar.

I don't think so. I start with a bend on the 21st fret on the G string (E bent to a G), and have yet to need to go to a higher note that the 23rd fret on the G string.

However, it may not be a perfect copy. I just go by a tab I found that is very good, and I am sure is almost perfect. Only found one bad note in it (a backing guitar harmonic which was a beat off) so far, so it seems good.

And I play the interlude starting on the 9th fret A string (F#)
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Charlatan_001
I always played it this way:

G|------------------12-------------14------------15
D|--12-12-12-124----12-12-12----12-12-12----12-12-12-12-13-12-12-12

Number of notes prob isn't right, but you get the idea.

dude... it is 14-14-14-...
Okay, I'm on my Warwick, and I can't work out how the hell you can play that part on the G string up on the 21st fret with out going lower.

You can't, I'm sure :s
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Okay, I'm on my Warwick, and I can't work out how the hell you can play that part on the G string up on the 21st fret with out going lower.

You can't, I'm sure :s

The highest note you need is the highest F# (23rd fret onthe G string quickly bent up a tone for the bar after the arpeggios). No need for a C at all. As a point, Cliff only played a 4 stringer in standard tuning. Should be no need for a C string.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ummm... The highest note for the little solo iterludy bit is a C. Which would be, if we're taking 21st on the G as our starting note, would be the 29th fret. I don't know anyone who could pull off a 5 fret bend on the 24th fret.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

it might be starting on the 19th and bend to the E
i might have just confused it up a bit

Quote by Narcotics
thats the same note jsut an octave lower
so it would sound right.....just lower

I meant the interlude not the solo, my bad....and I'm talking about the interlude with distortion, not the interlude that starts after a few seconds of silence on the 9th fret...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Nutter_101
Ummm... The highest note for the little solo iterludy bit is a C. Which would be, if we're taking 21st on the G as our starting note, would be the 29th fret. I don't know anyone who could pull off a 5 fret bend on the 24th fret.

Firstly, I'm not sure we're talking about the same bit (I'm talking about the Bass solo around 6:30), but consdiering CLiff played a 24fret 4 string standard tuned bass, I cannot see how you should need to play a high C.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Firstly, I'm not sure we're talking about the same bit (I'm talking about the Bass solo around 6:30), but consdiering CLiff played a 24fret 4 string standard tuned bass, I cannot see how you should need to play a high C.

I was starting to wonder that myself.

I'm talking about the bass solo near the start...
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
I was starting to wonder that myself.

I'm talking about the bass solo near the start...

There isn't a bass solo near the start. I have a suspicion you have been trying to play a guitar solo. There is the bass riff with the high E on the D string (14th fret) being pounded as a root for the riff, but no solo.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
There isn't a bass solo near the start. I have a suspicion you have been trying to play a guitar solo. There is the bass riff with the high E on the D string (14th fret) being pounded as a root for the riff, but no solo.

Nah, it's the interlude which starts of on bass, goes:

|--------------14--------------16--------------|
|--14-14-14-14-----14-14-14-14-----14-14-14-14-|
|----------------------------------------------|

etc ad nauseum.

That's the one I'm talking about. If you bumped that up an octave higher, as you were saying, this would require a high C string to play.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Nah, it's the interlude which starts of on bass, goes:

|--------------14--------------16--------------|
|--14-14-14-14-----14-14-14-14-----14-14-14-14-|

etc ad nauseum.

That's the one I'm talking about. If you bumped that up an octave higher, as you were saying, this would require a high C string to play.

My bad. I never considered that you were talking about playing that bit an octave up. I always thought you ment the dostorted bass solo (only place really high notes come, and I though you were considering basses with 20 fret necks)

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1