At what point would I expect clipping?
I've searched and haven't found very good answers.

I've had 5881's and they clip at a higher volume than the el34's. But now i'm getting el34's because I needed a tube change and decided to try something new.

Anyway it's just a curiousity thing.

Thanks guys and girls.

I have a JCM900 4100 if that helps.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
it's not really a black & white thing, it's more of a grey area thing. I would say on "channel B" you'll notice a jump in volume around "4" on the master volume but this isn't "the clipping" because your signal is distorted before that. It also depend on the guitar you use, the bias setting, etc. I think you'll like EL34's in that amp better though. I really like JJ E34L's in the 4100. I think it really balances out the tone and gives it a little more "balls" if you will.
I'm using electro harmonix because they're cheaper, and i'm just trying them out atm (plus the cheaper the better for me at the current time).

But in my next tube change I should have some more money, and i'd probably get JJ's.

Thanks mate.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
Tube's don't clip. They overdrive and distort due to mroe information being put through them than they can handle. Transistors "clip" information out when they are overloaded, hence clipping. In general, 6l6s and variants are going to be cleaner than EL34 and EL84s due to the design of the tube.
Quote by CJRocker
Tube's don't clip. They overdrive and distort due to mroe information being put through them than they can handle. Transistors "clip" information out when they are overloaded, hence clipping. In general, 6l6s and variants are going to be cleaner than EL34 and EL84s due to the design of the tube.

I was more or less using it as a general term. Since overdrive is a form of clipping.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band