Page 1 of 2
Hey there,

I was hoping someone with either more IT knowledge, or more knowledge of the virus, might be able to help me.

I have been told about the about:blank virus by someone, and was trying to work out if I have the virus because so far sites I've checked have been slightly unmentioning of what I've noticed.

I have not had any viruses before, apart from a few minor spy/adware incidents with my old firewall/virus scan system. Since changing to McAffee I've had no problems and any attempted attacks on my laptop have been recognised and destroyed.

Although I obviously can't guarantee that 100%, only as far as a company's security guarantee goes.

Basically, I don't use Internet Explorer so wouldn't have normally noticed but when checking to see if I had the virus I noticed the following: When I open internet explorer, it goes to my homepage of choice, my band myspace. BUT when I click to open a new tab, it then does say 'about:blank' in the url bar, but displays a blank page.

So does this mean I don't have it, as IE automatically goes to the homepage of my choice on start-up? Or does it mean I DO have the virus, as new tabs go to about:blank?

Or does it mean I have had it in the past, and now don't?

I'm desperate to know, as it seems a lot of hassle to clean it and lots of other stuff if I don't have it.

Thanks for any help,

Steve
Last edited by last_biscuit at Mar 13, 2008,
Im pretty sure that always pops up when u make open a new tab.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Quote by Ichikurosaki
tl;dr

google houses answers to 99% of questions. check there.

Well, considering I used google to check up on the virus, and that is why I am unsure of the answer...

Quote by Chikitty_China
Im pretty sure that always pops up when u make open a new tab.

Yeah, I'm just not sure whether that means we both have it, or it is the automatic page for a blank document viewed in html
It's not a virus it's an option to have a blank homepage.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
did it occur to you that, "About:BLANK" might be, you know, a BLANK page?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I don't use IE7, but in Firefox there are different options for opening new tabs which include opening the homepage for each new tab or opening a blank page. I'm fairly sure that IE would also have options for this, so look in the options menu and try to find it and see which one it's set for.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
haha, paranoid freakout award. what you explained is normal ie7.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by The Evil Hat
did it occur to you that, "About:BLANK" might be, you know, a BLANK page?

Did it occur to you that that's what pops up in the url if you have the virus, and as I don't normally use IE as the browser, and don't often use tabbed browsing, I wouldn't be aware of this, what with me not viewing any blank documents?

Anyway, thanks to those more respectful replies that weren't quite so mocking I guess I was probably just being paranoid. If not... I'm not the only one with it
Quote by last_biscuit
Hey there,

I was hoping someone with either more IT knowledge, or more knowledge of the virus, might be able to help me.

I have been told about the about:blank virus by someone, and was trying to work out if I have the virus because so far sites I've checked have been slightly unmentioning of what I've noticed.

I have not had any viruses before, apart from a few minor spy/adware incidents with my old firewall/virus scan system. Since changing to McAffee I've had no problems and any attempted attacks on my laptop have been recognised and destroyed.

Although I obviously can't guarantee that 100%, only as far as a company's security guarantee goes.

Basically, I don't use Internet Explorer so wouldn't have normally noticed but when checking to see if I had the virus I noticed the following: When I open internet explorer, it goes to my homepage of choice, my band myspace. BUT when I click to open a new tab, it then does say 'about:blank' in the url bar, but displays a blank page.

So does this mean I don't have it, as IE automatically goes to the homepage of my choice on start-up? Or does it mean I DO have the virus, as new tabs go to about:blank?

Or does it mean I have had it in the past, and now don't?

I'm desperate to know, as it seems a lot of hassle to clean it and lots of other stuff if I don't have it.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

You sir, are retarded.
Its always there, about:blank is the default page. You can even set it as your home page from what I remember of IE.
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
heh, mine says 'about:tabs' but I'm pretty sure what you have ISN'T A VIRUS, and is simply a....

BLANK PAGE.
"The poor didn't want this one."
Quote by Tiksi
You sir, are retarded.
Its always there, about:blank is the default page. You can even set it as your home page from what I remember of IE.

So I'm retarded for questioning something, given that when you have the virus it displays that url so obviously you can set that as your homepage...you can set anything as your homepage url, though ofcourse it doesn't all lead somewhere...

And another thing, given the virus alters parts of the system registry, including a .dll file and is notoriously difficult to remove, not to mention most anti-virus programs and firewalls not being able to remove it properly, I think I have every right to want to be 100% on something.
Quote by last_biscuit
So I'm retarded...

Well said.

(Haha, i just pulled a media)
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by last_biscuit
So I'm retarded for questioning something, given that when you have the virus it displays that url so obviously you can set that as your homepage...you can set anything as your homepage url, though ofcourse it doesn't all lead somewhere...

And another thing, given the virus alters parts of the system registry, including a .dll file and is notoriously difficult to remove, not to mention most anti-virus programs and firewalls not being able to remove it properly, I think I have every right to want to be 100% on something.

Well, maybe if you actually READ about what the about:blank virus does (first time I've heard of it, but google is cool).
You my notice that your Home Page Setting in Internet Explorer is kept being reset to about:blank and there was a search page that would startup. Even if you reset it to something else it will be reset back to about:blank after a while.

That would be the second result on google. And a dll isnt that hard to change, considering you can a) get a new one off the internet, or b) follow one of the many MANY guides on google.

Obligatory: Use linux and you wont have this problem
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

It's not a virus, that's what it's supposed to do. You don't seem too stupid, but I can't help get pissed off when people think everything that goes wrong their computer is a goddamned virus.

"OMG I DONT DONT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING I MITE GET A VIRUS LOLOL"
"DUN PRESS ALT+F4 ITZ A VIRUS!!"
"MY MOUWS ISNT PLUGGED IN ITS A FUCKING VIRUS!!
Last edited by iimjpii at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by Tiksi
Well, maybe if you actually READ about what the about:blank virus does (first time I've heard of it, but google is cool).

That would be the second result on google. And a dll isnt that hard to change, considering you can a) get a new one off the internet, or b) follow one of the many MANY guides on google.

Better yet, use a Mac which is unix (better than linux), and have no viruses along with spiffy graphics.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Quote by Tiksi

You my notice that your Home Page Setting in Internet Explorer is kept being reset to about:blank and there was a search page that would startup. Even if you reset it to something else it will be reset back to about:blank after a while.

Well, considering that whoever wrote that page you quoted can't even speak English I wasn't sure how much you could trust it.

Also, there are over 11 different strains of the virus, and that quote s just referring to one of them.

Anything else you wish to point out?

Quote by iimjpii
It's not a virus, that's what it's supposed to do. You don't seem too stupid, but I can't help get pissed off when people think everything that goes wrong their computer is a goddamned virus.

"OMG I DONT DONT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING I MITE GET A VIRUS LOLOL"
"DUN PRESS ALT+F4 ITZ A VIRUS!!"
"MY MOUWS ISNT PLUGGED IN ITS A FUCKING VIRUS!!

Thank you for acknowledging I don't have the IQ of an imbecile I guess.

But trust me, I don't assume everything is a virus, and technically nothing 'wrong' happened if it is as people assure me.

I was just checking to be on the safe side, and I am usually fairly good with IT know-how etc.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
tl;dr

google houses answers to 99% of questions. check there.

You say "tl;dr" way, way too much.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by iimjpii

I am easily irritated by computer related ignorance as well. After a few years of constantly being asked stupid computer questions and then having them not understand/accept the answer, you get bitter. The new 'going postal' WILL be 'going tech support'. (I dont work in IT but I can imagine how much worse it would be)
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

Quote by last_biscuit
Well, considering that whoever wrote that page you quoted can't even speak English I wasn't sure how much you could trust it.

Also, there are over 11 different strains of the virus, and that quote s just referring to one of them.

Anything else you wish to point out?

Why yes, yes there is.
*points at http://www.google.com/search?q=about+blank+virus , http://www.getfirefox.com , and http://www.ubuntu.com ( http://www.gentoo.com if you're feeling ambitious. )*
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

ummmm... i've never even heard of such a thing as an about:blank virus... that's crazy (and so are you, TS)
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by Ehh
Better yet, use a Mac which is unix (better than linux), and have no viruses along with spiffy graphics.

Know why macs don't have viruses?

The people who create them think mac users suffer enough already.
Quote by Tiksi
Why yes, yes there is.
*points at http://www.google.com/search?q=about+blank+virus , http://www.getfirefox.com , and http://www.ubuntu.com ( http://www.gentoo.com if you're feeling ambitious. )*

Hilarious, except that I clearly used google and it didn't 100% satisfy my assurances, and the other links are you trying to make me get a different web browser...how highly intelligent of you.

Right, I've got my answer anyway so I may aswell stop checking up on the thread now that everyone's jumping on the bandwagon to flame me for being ignorant in whatever way, shape or form.

Thanks to those who tried to help with the most minimal amounts of sarcasm/stating the bloody obvious.
Quote by TooFast
You say "tl;dr" way, way too much.

Whats that mean?
Quote by original=punk
Know why macs don't have viruses?

The people who create them think mac users suffer enough already.

Or because you cant afford it? I cant either, so im using a G3 with OS X 4. You know what they say, you get what you pay for. Mac = Fun, easy to use, and generally works without over-thinking every damn little thing.

Amount of times my old PC pissed me off: 100000000^3
Amount of times my Mac has pissed me off: 1
Quote by Ehh
Or because you cant afford it? I cant either, so im using a G3 with OS X 4. You know what they say, you get what you pay for. Mac = Fun, easy to use, and generally works without over-thinking every damn little thing.

Amount of times my old PC pissed me off: 100000000^3
Amount of times my Mac has pissed me off: 1

I've never enjoyed using a Mac system. My grade schools always had them, never any PCs and once we got PCs we would basically fight to the death to get what few PCs there were, and laugh at those who got stuck with the macs.
Quote by last_biscuit
Hilarious, except that I clearly used google and it didn't 100% satisfy my assurances, and the other links are you trying to make me get a different web browser...how highly intelligent of you.

Right, I've got my answer anyway so I may aswell stop checking up on the thread now that everyone's jumping on the bandwagon to flame me for being ignorant in whatever way, shape or form.

Thanks to those who tried to help with the most minimal amounts of sarcasm/stating the bloody obvious.

Um, ONE of the links was to a different browser. Nice job. Fail.
And I wasnt flaming you besides my first post.
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

Quote by Ehh

Um, you do know that linux is unix based, open, and free. Also, as far as spiffy graphics go, look up Compiz Fusion/beryl/Compiz on youtube. Linux and Mac use the same X11 window system anyways, iirc anyways.

edit: then again, Im not really one to comment on spiffy graphics. I have a top of the line system.... and I run a minimal GUI, fluxbox, and thats basically just to manage my terminals (command lines).
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

Last edited by Tiksi at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by original=punk
I've never enjoyed using a Mac system. My grade schools always had them, never any PCs and once we got PCs we would basically fight to the death to get what few PCs there were, and laugh at those who got stuck with the macs.

Depending on when you were in grade school, you were probably using OS 9. Even then, I thought they kicked ass.
Quote by Tiksi
Um, you do know that linux is unix based, open, and free. Also, as far as spiffy graphics go, look up Compiz Fusion/beryl/Compiz on youtube. Linux and Mac use the same X11 window system anyways, iirc anyways.

edit: then again, Im not really one to comment on spiffy graphics. I have a top of the line system.... and I run a minimal GUI, fluxbox, and thats basically just to manage my terminals (command lines).

Yes, im aware. As I said before, unix is better than linux. Which would you rather have? A Honda Civic bone stock, or a Honda Civic with the big wing, annoying exhaust, and dumb ricer kid going vroooom?

Edit: And to add, Mac users dont have to go through the hassle of installing all that stuff, it just comes with it out of the box.
Last edited by Ehh at Mar 13, 2008,
yes, but unix would be the stock honda.
Quote by psychedelic420

Quote by happytimeharry

to touch myself.

i don't like macs at all. i tried the ones that run for $1500 at the apple store, and I perfered my $300 PC I'm typing on now
The good thing about PC is all the 3rd party stuff you can get whereas mac just pretty much comes with everything, but it's all sub-par. With PC you can find what you want and customize it so it all works perfectly. For instance, I couldn't use foobar on a mac, and it's the best audio player ever! Just solid and straightforward music, no stupid album art or videos or pictures or any of that crap. But if you want it, you can add plugins and get it. That's what's great about PC.
Though macs definitely better than pc in a lot of ways, I'll never get a mac. I like customizing stuff the way I want it and experimenting new programs way too much.
and yes, i know there's that bootcamp thing so mac can run windows. Hell, if you want to spend upwards of 2,000 on a computer, then sure, mac + bootcamp = best, but if you want a computer for a reasonable price then pc = winnar!!!
if u got nothing set as ur homepage, thats wat comes up.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOWSE YOUR COMPUTER IN WATER BEFORE YOUR VIRUS DESTROYS ALL OF YOUR FILES!!!!!!!!!! or thats just a blank page. whatever
Quote by Ehh
Whats that mean?

Too long; didn't read.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
The stupidity of this thread is overwhelming.
I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are.
Quote by Crutchy
The stupidity of this thread is overwhelming.

The stupidity of you posting this, a good few hours after I was satisfied with an answer and had indeed been to sleep and woken up again, is even more overwhelming.

For idiots reading now as the page gets high in the last post order system, I didn't once state that I though abuot:blank was a virus page etc.

I was making sure that a way of diagnosing a virus nick-named 'about:blank' because of the way it acts, proved my laptop to be fine.

Considering most of you who are posting didn't even know what the virus was, I find it funny how you could easily have it and not know, and yet be calling me stupid.

I'm trying to find out why the person who told me about the virus in the first place, was told by her friend (a university-qualified computer programmer of 8 years) told her it shouldn't ever display 'about:blank' in the url bar, or indeed get her to verify if she simply misunderstood her knowledgeable friend, and assumed it should never say about:blank.
Quote by last_biscuit
The stupidity of you posting this, a good few hours after I was satisfied with an answer and had indeed been to sleep and woken up again, is even more overwhelming.

I didn't pay attention to when you posted this thread, or anything after the 3rd post. Sue me.
I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are.
Page 1 of 2