looking for suggestions.

i ahve 500 bucks to blow, and i dont need it for gigging.

oh, and also...if there is something OUTSTANDINGLY better for ~50-150 dollars more, im sure i can figure out some way of getting it. Just stay UNDER $650.

i hardly play any clean stuff, so basically just going to use it for 80s metal (judas priest etc etc), shred, metal, heavier metal (children of bodom, sinergy, mors principium est, kalmah, etc)...and so on

it needs to handle distortion well.

I know it will be my amp and I need to decide for myself, but I am just looking for suggestions so I can go try out a bunch.

so far I have the roland cube 60 in mind. thats about all i can think of lol
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Mar 14, 2008,
Definitely don't waste that kind of dough on anything solid state, for that much money I would definitely be looking for an all tube combo, if you can get yourself to a Guitar Center or any other guitar shop and try some things out that would help you out tremendously. Don't have any real specific suggestions except maybe try and find a used Peavey 5150 or 6505.

Other ideas I had:
Peavey Valveking
Vox Valvetronix (not full tube)
Vox Custom Classic? May not be for all out brutal metal but the classic stuff should sound pretty good.
Last edited by Remonster at Mar 13, 2008,
a fender hot rod deluxe with the right pedal will do the trick and be in your price range.

A peavey Valeking too. The Windsor looks pretty cool, too. Is the tone from the 80s really that diff. than today. If you are playing 80s music......
^Don't recommend fenders or voxes. This guy needs gain. Those amps can't handle it.

The Randall RG50TC (I think that's the accurate model name, it's the 50 watt valve one) sound perfect for you.

Let me put it this way.

Although, in theory, he could get a passable metal tone with a distortion box and a fender hot rod, it's mostly fake, transistor distortion.
It's much better to have most of your distortion come from the amp (which the distortion from the randall is awesome), if not all of it. Just toss a TS or a clean boost to kick in more drive.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Don't recommend fenders or voxes. This guy needs gain. Those amps can't handle it.

The Randall RG50TC (I think that's the accurate model name, it's the 50 watt valve one) sound perfect for you.

Let me put it this way.

Although, in theory, he could get a passable metal tone with a distortion box and a fender hot rod, it's mostly fake, transistor distortion.
It's much better to have most of your distortion come from the amp (which the distortion from the randall is awesome), if not all of it. Just toss a TS or a clean boost to kick in more drive.

i actually 100% agree with you. but, its my set up and i have a hard metal tone most of the time. Its more about the volume with the Hot Rod......and pedals thru this amp sound awesome, not fake at all. Pedals were around in metal way before high gain amps were invented. If the Randal is that inexpensive, probably the better choice.
Quote by richgray5
i actually 100% agree with you. but, its my set up and i have a hard metal tone most of the time. Its more about the volume with the Hot Rod......and pedals thru this amp sound awesome, not fake at all. Pedals were around in metal way before high gain amps were invented. If the Randal is that inexpensive, probably the better choice.

Yeah, I agree that distortion boxes can provide you with good tones, don't get me wrong, but i'm very picky about tone, and I have a reasonable ear for tone. But, as long as the player is happy, that's what matters. I'm just saying what i'd do, but I may just be too much of a tone freak.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
if its not for gigging and more for bedroom volumes I say

Get a blackheard 5w amp. Its plenty loud.. seriously. And with a metal muff it sounds awesome, better than the ones mentioned here which i have tried. And by far that is. If you do get the black heart, I recommend getting a metal muff, and a Holy grail plus pedal with it.

That will give you an amazing tone. I assure you of that.
I dunno about below 500 but Laney combos are great for hi-gain. 212 Valveking is also great. I suggest not getting a head amp since you'd not need 100w tube unless you play in a deafening bar or stadium.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
well i mean thats the thing.

i do have 600 to spend (obviously dont have to spend it all) , but I dont need something for gigging or anything.

wouldnt the peavey VK212 be a bit much? 100W of tube power is a bit excessive, but maybe im misinformed/retarded.

And to clarify, im looking for something that can handle distortion well. I do play 80s metal, but I play more shred and heavier metal (children of bodom, sinergy, mors principium est, kalmah, etc etc).

anyways, thanks for all the great suggestions thus far, any more would be awesome!

and sorry for wrong forum
i know I wont be gigging, at the moment i just play in my room, and with my roomates.

we dont have the time or desire to gig.

will the VK212 be too much for my non gig purposes?
ewwww valvekings

Get a used Crate Blue Voodoo
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
I'm tellin ya the windsor combo man! It's got a power attenuator built in to so you can crank those power tubes without losing your hearing.

You can direct record with the line out on it too which is pretty cool
Try out the randall mentioned, peavey windsors, and whatever was mentioned, see what you like better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by forsaknazrael
This should be in the GGA forum.

Anyway, have you checked out the Randall RG50TC?

Or maybe the new Bugera amps? Haven't tried one out myself, yet.

Exactly
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by nvranka
i know I wont be gigging, at the moment i just play in my room, and with my roomates.

we dont have the time or desire to gig.

will the VK212 be too much for my non gig purposes?

No, it's just that it's a waste of money. No discernible difference that's worth the price difference from the 50W 100watt combo. The VK is okay amp, but only because the 1x12 combo is cheap.
alright then well im going to give the vk112, windsor, and Randall RG50TC a try.

ill get back to you guys and let you know what i think...if anyone cares lol