I can play guitar.. and my fingers are getting faster... but I gotta ask this:
I don't have any direction... I just know I want to get a Strat, and I want to play rock.
Rhythm is good, but lead is my true goal.
Any particular songs that would be good for a novice to learn?
I have $600 invested in playing guitar, and that's not counting my acoustic guitar. I'm serious about this. I really love playing guitar, and I would love to be a professional musician, but I like eating and whatnot... and I feel that I would be doing a lot less of that if I were being paid based upon my guitar skills right now, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.
I'm only 17.

Should I be learning scales, or just learning how to improv or what?

There is no method to my madness, and I need one.
Give me some tips please, I'm all ears.
Some of us can be examples about going ahead and growing, and some of us, unfortunately, don't make it there, and end up being examples because they had to die.
Quote by SRVwasthebest
I can play guitar.. and my fingers are getting faster... but I gotta ask this:
I don't have any direction... I just know I want to get a Strat, and I want to play rock.
Rhythm is good, but lead is my true goal.
Any particular songs that would be good for a novice to learn?
I have $600 invested in playing guitar, and that's not counting my acoustic guitar. I'm serious about this. I really love playing guitar, and I would love to be a professional musician, but I like eating and whatnot... and I feel that I would be doing a lot less of that if I were being paid based upon my guitar skills right now, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.
I'm only 17.

Should I be learning scales, or just learning how to improv or what?

There is no method to my madness, and I need one.
Give me some tips please, I'm all ears.

If you want to learn how to be a lead rock guitarist, there are a few steps you need to follow..
1. Learn pentatonic scale
2. Play it over all your favorite rock songs, while using licks you hear from the songs and stuff you think up on your own
3. If you're trying to get to play fast, play with a metronome and speed it up after one speed gets easy for you to play with
4. Join a band with the same interests as you
5. Profit?!
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Learn some simple chords, all the regular major and minor chords. Look at playing some fun simple riffs from songs like, Iron Man and Enter Sandman and so forth.
Also learn some scales. Major, Minor, and Pentatonic are good ones to start at.
First, learn the musical alphabet if you haven't already.

Second, read the theory thread in the musician talk forum, and commit it mostly to memory.

Then, go to www.all-guitar-chords.com, and learn different scales, arpeggios, more modes, and chords. Practice these using the metronome, SLOWLY. You will only learn the wrong technique if you start beating on your guitar, and you do not want that.

Last, after knowing a lot of modes/scales/etc, by heart or atleast having the ability to figure them out in less than a few minutes, improvise within those. The MT guide will explain a bit of that.

Now, write and record... And good luck.
Hah.. profit...
Yeah, Some friends and I are supposed to be getting a band together this summer... but all was have is a drummer, a bass player, and a lead guitarist (me).
We're all in the high school band, so we know music..
Our drummer plays Sax, our Bassist plays Trombone, and I play trumpet.
So, we're gonna get together and jam.
It's gonna be sweet. We may also have a rhythm guitarist if she's any good by summer.
Some of us can be examples about going ahead and growing, and some of us, unfortunately, don't make it there, and end up being examples because they had to die.
Thanks for that website.. I can never find scales.. and this has pretty much every scale known to man.