i know it's legendary but some questions
(first off getting a jcm 2000 head in some months so don't say get a new amp)
i know there's like three, which is the better
also i'm not sure of it being a "boost", wouldn't that created like extremely loud buzzing? and just plain out i can't see how you can run say a ds 1 and any other distortion/overdrive pedal at the same time
anyway um what styles of playing does it suit well
i play classic rock, blues, metal
zeppelin, floyd, metallica, that sorta thing
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
a boost probably wouldnt result in loud buzzing, you turn the gain down and the level up, and 2, the best one is probably the 808, it sounds the most natural and is the original. although, I would rather get a Maxon OD-9 which is base don the TS808, but with true bypass and better parts, etc...and 3, running a distortion pedal instead would result in a harsher sound due to the clipping diodes I believe.

hope I helped somewhat
Not volume boost, more of a tone boost. It helps even out your sound and add a bit more gain and compression at lower volumes.
I have one and play everything and have a JCM 2000 as well. hahaha.

I absolutely LOVE mine. It's great. awsome. it really just boosts your sound/ overdrives it/ makes it more cutting edge. It can give you any sound if you set the amp, and the pedal right. Get it though, but make sure it's the Ts-9 reissue Tube screamer (ibanez)
The Tube Screamer isn't going to change your sound in any significant way. It will add a bit of midrange and tighten up the low end, but that's about it. It isn't "suitable" for any kind of music because your tone is coming from your amp (The JCM2000 isn't really suitable for any of the bands you listed, by the way)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I leave mine on all the time now. but I had the same questions as you. Stacking other dist. / OD pedals, can make a ton of noise...is how I thought, so after reading all the other threads about this pedal, I tried it as a volume boost, and it works awesome. Its great for solos when running a distorted tube amp. But i also just use it with the gain tunred down, and its helps as an EQ, and gives me a tone I like, stacked with a Boss Metal Zone. I also use it on the cleans too, and is sounds great. Im not playing jazz, you dont have to be super clean. You MUST buy one of them or its competitiors. Maxon are the real deal, but very expensive. Bad Monkey is good, and really cheap, like $25 used. I think that if you are going to use this type of pedal for its OD, think about getting one of the higher end clones, but for a boost, or EQ help, you have lots to look at.
is the turbo tube screamer better than say the ts-9?
is it worth the extra money?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
is the turbo tube screamer better than say the ts-9?
is it worth the extra money?

no, more gain isn't worth the extra money.

you won't even use it.
it will do what you neeed it to depending on your amp settings and the settings on the pedal itself
Quote by -heartbreaker-
no, more gain isn't worth the extra money.

you won't even use it.

What if he wants practice-volume breakup or distortion? What if he likes putting gain on the clean channels more than tighting the gain channels?

I'd try it. Keep an open mind!